Broken Crybaby?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
So, after years of dealing online, buying and selling, I think I finally got screwed.

Just bought a used Crybaby Classic. Guy reassured me it works fine but seemed a little dodgy (maybe?) when asked. First he said it worked fine then it was, "well it was my Son's but he barely used it".

Anyways, it's been years since I owned one and I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to sound.

First of all, there's barely any sweep. It goes from mud, to a small sweep, to all the way on. Okay, fine. Secondly, it makes a dirty pot sound, like a hissy click when used, during the sweep. Can be cleaned, I suppose.

The main issue is, when fully depressed it loses a lot of power. It's like suddenly my guitar's volume knob is turned down to one or two. No sustain, very thin, quieter. Is this normal?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The original pot might have been swapped for whatever reason.
Or it doesn't work properly anymore.
Check the appearance of the pot and compare with pictures from the good old Internet.
Check the value of the pot, compare it to specs.
Check the "legs" and what wires are soldered on which leg.
Again, compare with pictures for the Internet.

That could tell you something.
Or / and show it to a tech.
Good l*ck with that!
:fingersx:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I own 6-8 Wah pedals (I forget exactly) Dunlop cry baby, VOX etc. Some were new when I got them the others were used. I have replaced inductors, pots, switches etc. Had a Hendrix wah that was working, it sat in the box for 6 months and when I took it out no sound when clicked on. Need to fix that one.

My point is used wah pedals can be problematic. If you want trouble free operation (for a while) then go buy a brand new one. Otherwise you will need to learn to trouble shoot and maintain them yourself. Most fixes are simple once you diagnose the problem. Lot's of information on the internet all you have to do is a Google search. Parts are readily available on ebay and from other suppliers. Good luck with your project.

Kindest regards,

Jonesy

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, after years of dealing online, buying and selling, I think I finally got screwed.

Just bought a used Crybaby Classic. Guy reassured me it works fine but seemed a little dodgy (maybe?) when asked. First he said it worked fine then it was, "well it was my Son's but he barely used it".

Anyways, it's been years since I owned one and I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to sound.

First of all, there's barely any sweep. It goes from mud, to a small sweep, to all the way on. Okay, fine. Secondly, it makes a dirty pot sound, like a hissy click when used, during the sweep. Can be cleaned, I suppose.

The main issue is, when fully depressed it loses a lot of power. It's like suddenly my guitar's volume knob is turned down to one or two. No sustain, very thin, quieter. Is this normal?
It sounds like a faulty pot.

Latest Threads