Broke bass player has guitar tone questions

Oddball667

Reaction score
Ok , so I'm a bass player first and foremost never been much of a guitar player and or had intrest .
...but on a whim I bought a cheap jackson dinky reverse just to have something to play since I lost every bit of my gear a few years ago do to divorce and the death of my mother (needed money).
So in a round about way I went into a deep dark spiraling depression and pretty much assumed id never be able to replace any of it.
..so back to the Jackson , I had this guitar for like 9 months before I even changed the strings or got an amp.
But a couple weeks ago a guy I worked with was moving and had a " spare " lower end Marshall G100rcd 100 watt head and a Marshall 4x12 slanted cab he would sell me for $150 bucks and I bit , why not right I'm a terrible guitar player but at least EVERYONE would know now right
It took about 2 hours for me to realize I hate that Jackson and its reverse headstock and damn floyd rose.
So here I was thinking about my crap luck and being to broke to replace the guitar and decided to go over to my neighbors with the halfstack and jam a little in hopes I could learn a few things from him and at the very least have some fun with my crappy gear before I just let it collect dust till i felt the urge to revisit my depression in how terrible I actually am at the guitar.
To my amazement he comes out with a 72 Gibson sg and is playing the basic stuff of a man his age who is into rock , zepplin , ac/dc ECT and let's me play the couple Sabbath riffs I know and then comes out with a 70 sg double neck ....ok now hes just showing off his super cool collection lol.
The st double neck on the 6 string neck literally has "the sound" I hear in my head when I think of a snarling disrorted guitar .
Well one thing led to another and I ran short on time and had to get home to my kids and all so I agreed to leave rhe amp for him to mess with and went home.
Over the next week and a half I didnt have time to pick it up and everytime I see my neighbor he keeps asking me how much I want for the amp and I keeps saying I dont really wanna sell it even though he had cash in hand , I just lost my job and definitely need the money.
So day before yesterday I finally go to pick it up and he made one last ditch effort for the amp and walked out with a Gibson USA hardshell case and laid it at my feet and said check it out .
So i kinda stared at him and hesitant opened it and there was a beautiful wine colored 96 les paul studio .....
So he wanted to trade , and through in a Marshall G30r CD 30 watt combo , wich is the exact same Marshall as my halfstack was but a 30 watt instead of a 100 (wich in my opinion is fare more appropriate for my skill level) .
There was literally no way I could say no.
Now I have what seems so fare as "my guitar" cant put it down , completely sparked my interest in learning guitar and making music again and has inspired me to actually LEARN instead of pounding out power chords and making noise just to have the absolute basic guitar part to go with a bassline then handing it over to a friend to come up with an "ACTUAL guitar part" , wich has always been the only reason I ever owned a fuitar in the first place.
.....i absolutely love my LP , I know its not a 59 or some super collectable unique top LP. Its a plain'ol 96 studio with the pickgaurd knobs and tuners changed and strap locks .....but I love it .

Attachments

Oddball667

Reaction score
I actually got to talking about the trade and guitar so much forgot the tone questions

Was wanting to ask with a les paul studio and this little Marshall , can I dial in a "black Sabbath" type tone? As my intrest in the guitar is basically that tone , kinda doom and gloom with a touche of the almighty blues.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Hey tad , thanks man that article was basicly what I was looking for and I played around with tunings last night and found the one rhats working best for me right now is D standard , wouldn't mind getting down to C standard but need to change strings for that low of a tuning and isn't an option at the moment till payday .
But it did get me to riffing a song and working out some parts , havnt completely finished yet and may bounce it off another guitar player I know in the next few days and see if I cant Finnish my first "doom" guitar part .
I'm sure later ill come up with better more complex ideas then what I been jamming on since last night and this morning , but for now I feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that oddly enough has been missing for sometime and I didn't even notice.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Hey tad , thanks man that article was basicly what I was looking for and I played around with tunings last night and found the one rhats working best for me right now is D standard , wouldn't mind getting down to C standard but need to change strings for that low of a tuning and isn't an option at the moment till payday .
But it did get me to riffing a song and working out some parts , havnt completely finished yet and may bounce it off another guitar player I know in the next few days and see if I cant Finnish my first "doom" guitar part .
I'm sure later ill come up with better more complex ideas then what I been jamming on since last night and this morning , but for now I feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that oddly enough has been missing for sometime and I didn't even notice.
The issue with going down that low on tuning, is you will need heavier strings, and in doing that, you will need to recut your nut, and completely reset your intonation, and most likely, neck relief. If you don't know how to do that, save up 100 bucks or so to have the local GOOD tech do it for you.

Oddball667

Reaction score
At this point its handling D standard just fine and havnt gotten "floppy" or any noticed "buzz" , and oddly as I said I'm kinda wanting to play some stoner/doom on it hence the tuning but and I should be playing with ALOT of fuzz or distortion .
......but this damn les paul sounds soooo good clean lol

Oddball667

Reaction score
Im sitting in D standard right now and on a whim played the opening riff to walk by pantera about 30 minutes ago and kinda feel thats the tone I currently have .
So ill definitely have to adjust

Mitch Pearrow 58

Reaction score
This is my faded SG , with the Dsl40c’s SD1 and a Vox Tone Lab, and my attempt at some doom/sludge.
Cheers
Mitch

Latest Threads