Broke a push/pull pot on my Florentine Pro

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Man, I love this guitar. I've been using it a lot for recording projects and wanted to install knob pointers because I like to roll off the volume and tone a bit sometimes, and want to be able to keep track of how the knobs are set. Knobs must be removed to install pointers...

The neck pickup volume control pot shaft popped out of the plastic housing as I attempted to remove the knob. Damn. I successfully CA glue'd the shaft back into the pot. The knob turns and I get full humbucker sound, but the pot will no longer "pull" to switch to a split coil sound, which I actually use a lot for recording. The neck pickup split sound makes for a very nice clean tone.

i decided to spend $20 and get a pair of Alpha "push/push" metric pots from Stratosphere. I have an 80's Yamaha SG with push/push pots, and they are spectacular (and durable!). Much more convenient that push/pull. Hopefully these new ones will perform as well as the ones on my Yamaha... I'll post when I get to install them.

garybaldy

Reaction score
I've wrecked normal pots where the knob has been impossible to remove. Also recently I thought I'd fried the switch on a p/p. I completely renewed a harness with 4 p/ps - two for split and two for parallel coils for each pup. When all was back together the neck vol. p/p wouldn't pull. With brute force, thinking it would break apart, it pulled up and it worked thankfully.
Good luck with yours.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i decided to spend $20 and get a pair of Alpha "push/push" metric pots from Stratosphere. I have an 80's Yamaha SG with push/push pots, and they are spectacular (and durable!). Much more convenient that push/pull. Hopefully these new ones will perform as well as the ones on my Yamaha... I'll post when I get to install them.
Agreed... I have the 'push - push' type on my Studio Deluxe and I'm glad!

I have no trouble imagining me ripping a push-pull out one night by giving one of them a bit too hardy of a tug! :laugh2:

Just a tip for the future....

I found out with mine that you would do better on the switch guts if you do any future knob removals with the the switch in the up or out position.

When the switch is down you would be doing all that pulling against the little wire spring that does the clicking and holding down of the shaft.

With the knob up most of the force will be against the upper metal collar around the shaft.

You can still break it if you try hard enough, but if you break the little spring dealy you will lose the switch function.

And the knob will be stuck up...

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Well damn. The new pots were delivered yesterday. I verify the push-push mechanism worked and set to work on installing them.... should be easy... barely an inconvenience. Nope.

the original pots are soldered to a circuit board with a Molex quick connector.

The circuit board will not fit on the new pots because the spacing of the lugs are different than the old ones.

I think I am gonna ditch the quick connect and just do a complete re-wire. More to come.

Latest Threads