British Blues pickups

frisco

Reaction score
hello
what pickups will work better in an epiphone les paul standard to achive the tone of british blues from the 60's.

Seymour Duncan Antiquitys, 59's, Seth lover... Dimarzio PAF????
GFS??

bill m

Reaction score
All of the pickups you mention can work. These tones were created with PAF's, pat sticker, and t-top pickups. Is there a particular artist that you're going for? Once you decide the particular artists tone you want I can narrow down what you're looking for. There are many talented winders right here on this forum who will be able to provide you the pickups you want. I highly advise upgrading your wiring harness and pots also

Backstage

Reaction score
I totaly agree with Bill. Upgrade your wiring and think about Duncan's Seth Lover or 59 or DiMarzio's PAF 36 Anniversary if you don't want a boutique pickup.

Dougie

Reaction score
Can hardly go wrong with Seth Lover, pretty much the others mentioned some good ones too. Pagey = t-top/paf neck EC = depends on what time slot and what guitar, Bluesbreakers = '59 LP with PAFs, Seth Lover get that sound good, Cream = SG with PAFs or Pat# sticker, the majority of that whole genre would have been recorded with unpotted PAFs, and I certainly wouldn't overlook boutique/hand wound pickups if you wanted to dial in on a certain tone.

Ditto on the pots and harness also.

rykus

Reaction score
I'd do antiquities over seth lovers, they have more character and are non potted.
They are my favorite non boutique PU and helped me nail the sound of PG, EC, Bloomfield act in my Epi when I played lots in my teens n early 20's!
Put em in my first Gibby too!

Dougie

Reaction score
Seths aren't potted. I love that 50s unpotted sound, there isn't much difference in ants and seth lovers, the ants have an aged or "degaussed" alnico II and the seths are full charged alnico II, neither are potted, I do like the cover from the antiquity better, I put them on the seth lovers.

yeppedeppdepp

Reaction score
I like the 36ths for what you described.

I'm a DiMarzio guy, they all have very nice mids whereas I found most of SDs pickups to have...annoying mids or lacking thereof.

rykus

Reaction score
Hmmmm I only tried one SL, didn't like it nearly as much, it was a neck one.Very cold and undynamic IMO.

I swore it was potted but that was 12 years ago... anyhow yeah LOVED my antiquities! they do sound great.

frisco

Reaction score
thanks guys

this weekend a friend of mine told me he was selling a Gibson 57 neck in zebra, a SD 59 and a Burstbucker pro in the bridge. Anybody tried the 57/ burstbucker pro combo?

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recommend the DiMarzio's 36 Anniversary PAF's

LtKojak

Reaction score
I think a modded with UnOriented A5 magnets Duncan Seth Lover set will get you what you want in spades abd then some.

HTH,

Reaction score
My two cents.
Skatterbrane, Earthbranes.

IMG_2540.jpg

Rigidarm

Reaction score
hello
what pickups will work better in an epiphone les paul standard to achive the tone of british blues from the 60's.

Seymour Duncan Antiquitys, 59's, Seth lover... Dimarzio PAF????
GFS??

While you study the '60's Brit blues guys you might just want to put an American or two in there. My first recommendation would be Mike Bloomfield. Start with Super Session (even though it was not his favorite, it is for many) and then jump to If You Love These Blues Play Them As You Please, (which he felt was his best work) and you will get a new take from one cool guitar lover.
He was a natural teacher at heart and you will see him cover many areas of American blues. Best of luck Frisco.

Latest Threads