Bringing together a Band in a Small Town?

brandoniusrex

Reaction score
Hey guys. I live in a small town that has just short of 7,000 people. There are maybe two gigging bands in town (The adults who know what they're doing), then there are a couple high-school bands *trying* to get gigging. A lifelong friend of mine (Literally, have known him since birth) plays drums and I play guitar. We've been trying to get a band scraped together for quite a while now (couple months?) and simply can not find the right bassist in our town. Right now we are considering vocal lessons and working as a 2 piece for the time being. Does anybody have any tips on finding good band members in a situation like this? (Considering we are both 16 years old. I'm also somewhat hesitant to post ads up in music stores and on craigslist and the like because you never know what type of people you are going to get...) We are looking at doing Classic Rock and Blues and it's VERY hard to find people in our age-range who like that, much less can play bass (and possibly sing). Any other tips on starting a band/gigging are also greatly appreciated!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Start forcing a friend to learn bass.

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
It's a tough call in a small town, to find other musicians of like skill and interests, and then to find an audience. Especially if you are going for a style outside of the mainstream.

brandoniusrex

Reaction score
Malikon: That's something we've considered doing. We both consider ourselves of pretty fair caliber on our instruments (Not cocky or having inflated egos. We know we're not the best by any stretch of the imagination :p) Would a newly taught bass-player drag down a band's performance? I'm guessing as long as (s)he has a good groove and syncs with the drummer probably not. Anybody else think this would be a good route to take?

MineGoesTo11: We should be OK finding our audience. This is the St. Louis area, which some regions have a hopping blues scene, and we would be able to do some travelling, coupled with having fairly supportive parents and the drummer's dad being one of the most respected sound-men in the area :D

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Malikon: That's something we've considered doing. We both consider ourselves of pretty fair caliber on our instruments (Not cocky or having inflated egos. We know we're not the best by any stretch of the imagination :p) Would a newly taught bass-player drag down a band's performance? I'm guessing as long as (s)he has a good groove and syncs with the drummer probably not. Anybody else think this would be a good route to take?

MineGoesTo11: We should be OK finding our audience. This is the St. Louis area, which some regions have a hopping blues scene, and we would be able to do some travelling, coupled with having fairly supportive parents and the drummer's dad being one of the most respected sound-men in the area :D

you live in the st. louis area and you're having a hard time finding someone???

Indyclone

Reaction score
find a singer / guitarist and trick him into playing bass. :)

SlapChop

Reaction score
Would a newly taught bass-player drag down a band's performance?

I would say yes. Your rhythm section is the foundation of everything else and if your bass player doesn't have great rhythm and a fusion with the drummer, that will reflect poorly on the rest of you.

For someone to pick up a new instrument, and be expected to keep up with you guys is a pretty tall task. You'd have to give them a bit of time if that's the route you end up taking.

LongBeach

Reaction score
Ok, where are you? St. Louis area, population of 7,000. You might be close to my old stommping grounds.

brandoniusrex

Reaction score
I'm probably going to try and find some friend who has a good groove and teach him... I'm in the Stl area, but not like butted right up to the city, so it's tough to find people *here*.

LongBeach: Happen to have been in St. Clair county?

River

Reaction score
you live in the st. louis area and you're having a hard time finding someone???
Can you spell "s-e-v-e-n t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d"? :hmm:

Brandon, can you find another guitar player? You could both check your egos at the door and switch bass duties song by song.

If not, talk a friend into giving it a try. If you can show him or her really simple bass lines to just fill out the sound on a short-scale bass, that might not take very long.

I've heard guitar/drum duos that sounded just fine by themselves, if they choose the songs and arrangements carefully.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you spell "s-e-v-e-n t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d"? :hmm:

Brandon, can you find another guitar player? You could both check your egos at the door and switch bass duties song by song.

If not, talk a friend into giving it a try. If you can show him or her really simple bass lines to just fill out the sound on a short-scale bass, that might not take very long.

I've heard guitar/drum duos that sounded just fine by themselves, if they choose the songs and arrangements carefully.

nothing wrong with taking after the white stripes and the black keys! :thumb:

Latest Threads