Bring back the RD Artist

Brian Tee

Reaction score
I bet there’s not many with an original RD ‘77 Artist (owned from new) and a Print proof copy of the 1978 Press advert from the UK’s Melody Maker magazine.

it plays like a dream, and the onboard electronics still make it a real handful for unsuspecting guitarists. But it is the jewel in my Gibson crown.

Anyone else out there rate this beast of a creative player’s instrument?

it would be great to see a modern version of the RDArtist, using piezo bridge tech and maybe onboard multi core MIDI as well as advanced active tone controls. It was the ultimate in guitar tech and playability back in 1977, and it could be again!

Attachments

Alansd

Reaction score
I bet there’s not many with an original RD ‘77 Artist (owned from new) and a Print proof copy of the 1978 Press advert from the UK’s Melody Maker magazine.

it plays like a dream, and the onboard electronics still make it a real handful for unsuspecting guitarists. But it is the jewel in my Gibson crown.

Anyone else out there rate this beast of a creative player’s instrument?

it would be great to see a modern version of the RDArtist, using piezo bridge tech and maybe onboard multi core MIDI as well as advanced active tone controls. It was the ultimate in guitar tech and playability back in 1977, and it could be again!

Brian Tee

Reaction score
That’s awesome Alansd. If I’d hung around for the expanded range, I’d have bagged an ES RD too! Same Moog innards, but a classic Gibson shape, with the brilliant offset dot neck and amazing binding detail. Clearly (like mine) a very played guitar. My Custom shop‘59 335 is also a peach, but just doesn’t cut it when it comes to tonal range and sheer control of dynamics and locked-in dialable tone.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love the Gibson RD. It’s frustrating that models come and then disappear for years or DECADES.
It has always felt like one of the most unique and unsung hero of the Gibson family.
I’ve always wanted a black RD bass, like the Novoselic signature.

moreles

Reaction score
Sorry, but there's a reason why there are so few RD Artists owned or played, and it's because most players do not like them enough to use them. I completely respect anyone's guitar choice, but with so many great guitars out there, the RD Artist would be about #57 on my onw list. I'm sure I'd be happy with it -- I'm not fussy -- it's just that it's nowhere near the top of my list.

Latest Threads