Bridge Tone Knob Popping Off When Pulling for Boost.

UTGrad

Reaction score
On my 19 Trad Pro III Plus pulling up on the bridge tone knob is what activates the 10db boost. It has popped off a couple times. Any solutions to keep it on there more secure?

Daniel.S

Reaction score
On my 19 Trad Pro III Plus pulling up on the bridge tone knob is what activates the 10db boost. It has popped off a couple times. Any solutions to keep it on there more secure?
Get a flathead screwdriver and widen the post for the knob. You only have to do it a little bit.

UTGrad

Reaction score
I'm assuming that will make it more difficult to install the knob correct?

jkes01

Reaction score
Get a flathead screwdriver and widen the post for the knob. You only have to do it a little bit.
I’m sorry, but that is the best way to break the pot shaft.

Instead, try cutting up a pick and fit the small pieces in the slot. Just enough for a snug fit, too tight and you could pull the shaft completely out of the pot.

Another safe option is blue painters tape around the knurling.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I think we are all assuming that the knob is defective and not the pot shaft.
That being said.

New guitar ?

Warrantee ??

Take it back and show the person you purchased it from, the loose knob.
They should just be able to order you a new knob.

Failing that.
Order a new set.
Probably cheaper then new strings.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I’m sorry, but that is the best way to break the pot shaft.

Instead, try cutting up a pick and fit the small pieces in the slot. Just enough for a snug fit, too tight and you could pull the shaft completely out of the pot.

Another safe option is blue painters tape around the knurling.
It depends on how careful you are.
I’ve never had a problem doing it.

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The first thing to do is to swap knobs with another from the guitar to determine if its the knob or the shaft. If it's the knob, just buy another one from Amazon....or maybe just leave the looser knob on a non-push/pull pot. Super cheap and little hassle. If its the shaft, i would just widen the notch a bit, but that's me.

Last edited:

pillbug

Reaction score
This, plus then, take a short piece of solder bent in half and put it in the slot that you just widened. That will help keep the post from bending back and/or breaking, and provide some tension to keep the knob nice and snug.

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, no resolution on This? I hate it when we are left hanging.

straybeat

Reaction score
Get a tube of Loctite and put a little drop on the shaft. 242 would probably be the best to use that won't cement the knob on forever. 202 would probably come off too easy and not hold the knob on well?

dubcut

Reaction score
I’ve always used a delicate touch, prying the slot open on the shaft. Never had a problem. That said, it takes good hands.

Go to your local gas station with foreign speaking attendant. Buy the biscuit of your choice, eat it on the way home, fold the greasy plastic film over once and lay it over the bare shaft. Pop the knob on. In so many ways this is the perfect solution.

DrBGood

Reaction score
UTGrad probably broke the shaft, so he's not talking to you guys ever gain. I know I wouldn't ...

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
UTGrad probably broke the shaft, so he's not talking to you guys ever gain. I know I wouldn't ...
It takes a firm hand and a gentle touch to pull a knob off. True story.