Bridge tail piece upgrade affect plek?

Thembonez

Reaction score
hello all, I have a epi les Paul custom pro coming from sweet water in the new few weeks. I’ll be having them plek and replace the nut on it. My question, I wanna replace the bridge tail piece. Will this undo what the plek has done? Or is it a wash and won’t effect it?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Should not have any impact, so long as the radius on the new saddles match the original.

PierM

Reaction score
Tailpiece and bridge a two different parts.

If you are changing the tailpiece, which does comes after the bridge, this isnt affecting plek.

If you are changing bridge, then yes, you are changing the status of the instrument (since each saddle notch does affect the final action of each string), when guitar has been plek’d. In this case, better to change bridge prior the plek.

moreles

Reaction score
PierM said it, and it's worth listening. Bridge radius is often not close enough to the actual fretboard radius. Saddles are produced and used (slotted, not) carelessly and often make radius differences worse. This can have a big effect on action. I find it fairly easy to deal with this by doing my own work on saddles, but most do not. You absolutely should have the right bridge/saddles in place for the PLEK job and setup. Otherwise, its a waste.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, are we talking about the TOM bridge or the actual tailpiece? The TP will not affect PLEK. The new bridge change may. The new bridge radius may not be compatible with the neck radius as stated above. Such a mismatch could be solved by filing some of the saddle groves deeper. However, I find that deep bridge saddle groves suck tone -- at least that is my experience.

Latest Threads