Bridge pickup volume pot problem

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've a problem with my '10 LP standard plus honeyburst that I purchased at the end of may.
Last night, while I was playing at very low volume, I noticed that the bridge volume pot was not affecting the volume at all, contrary to the neck one that was very touch-responsive.
I don't really know if this problem was present from the beginning since I usually keep the pickups at the maximum volume.
During the weekend I'm going to open the control cavity in order to check the solder joints and measure the pot resistance with a multimeter to see if it's varying its value while turning the knob.
I've a good knowledge about electronic circuits but I'm new to guitar and to guitar playing in general so I would like you to point out all the possible causes for this problem and suggest the relative fixings.

Thank you very much.

olstrat

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Classic US Goldtop. Returned it to the dealer for warranty repair. They even loaned me a Gibson Les Paul Studio to use while they had mine. No cost to me and no issue with the process. According to them they replaced a selector switch and repaired some connections/solders.

Diocletian

Reaction score
Check there are no loose wires and if it looks alright just replace the pot. You can buy Alpha pots dirt cheap and it's a quick, easy job.

However, bear in mind the guitar doesn't really drop drastically in volume when you turn the volume down - it actually loses some gain, while remaining pretty much at the same volume level, confusingly.
It could be you're just looking for something that isn't really meant to happen in the first place.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
However, bear in mind the guitar doesn't really drop drastically in volume when you turn the volume down - it actually loses some gain, while remaining pretty much at the same volume level, confusingly.
It could be you're just looking for something that isn't really meant to happen in the first place.
I don't understand. Turning the neck volume knob clearly dial the guitar volume down till the point that the pickup is completely muted. For this reason I expect the bridge volume knob to behave in the same way. Am I wrong?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I don't understand. Turning the neck volume knob clearly dial the guitar volume down till the point that the pickup is completely muted. For this reason I expect the bridge volume knob to behave in the same way. Am I wrong?
Last I checked, that is the way my guitars work. Volume at 0 is no sound.

flquacker

Reaction score
With the switch in the bridge position?

Are you referencing the difference with the Neck volume and the switch set to neck position....with the bridge volume and the switch set to the bridge position?

Diocletian

Reaction score
No - at 0 the volume is off. What I was saying is that the volume control does not reduce the volume while the sound remains the same. The GAIN drops as the volume control is reduced, so the signal may well sound very similar until it gets to zero and goes silent.
How much gain are you using on your amp?

It's often more noticeable that the neck pickup seems to lose gain/volume because the neck pickup is probably not as "hot" as the bridge pickup so has less gain to start with.

Yes, it's quite confusing and I'm doing a shit job of explaining it. :laugh2:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
With the switch in the bridge position?

Are you referencing the difference with the Neck volume and the switch set to neck position....with the bridge volume and the switch set to the bridge position?
Yes, neck volume, switch on neck position VS bridge volume with switch on bridge position

Netwarrior

Reaction score
No - at 0 the volume is off. What I was saying is that the volume control does not reduce the volume while the sound remains the same. The GAIN drops as the volume control is reduced, so the signal may well sound very similar until it gets to zero and goes silent.
How much gain are you using on your amp?

It's often more noticeable that the neck pickup seems to lose gain/volume because the neck pickup is probably not as "hot" as the bridge pickup so has less gain to start with.

Yes, it's quite confusing and I'm doing a shit job of explaining it. :laugh2:
I'm playing on the clean channel with volume at 2 o' clock.
I know the difference in tone between the two pickups, but what I'm saying is that the bridge volume pot doesn't affect at all the output of the guitar. Even when the pot is turned on 0 the pickup is still at full volume.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the tone knob is working absolutely fine.

flquacker

Reaction score
I'm going to open the control cavity in order to check the solder joints and measure the pot resistance with a multimeter to see if it's varying it's value while turning the knob
That's probably the easiest thing to start with....

Diocletian

Reaction score
I'm playing on the clean channel with volume at 2 o' clock.
I know the difference in tone between the two pickups, but what I'm saying is that the bridge volume pot doesn't affect at all the output of the guitar. Even when the pot is turned on 0 the pickup is still at full volume.
Oh, I forgot to mention is that the tone knob is working absolutely fine.
Oh right! Sorry, I didn't realise you meant it was doing NOTHING at all. I get you now. :thumb:
Go on the Seymour Duncan website and check the wiring diagram against what you have in your guitar.

flquacker

Reaction score
Sounds maybe that the ground path from the pot lug may be open...IF the pot checks OK...IF it's wired correctly.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Ok, tomorrow I'm gonna check the wiring. I'll let you know the result.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Ok, it was a cold solder joint on the pot ground.
What a bad job those koreans have done in my control cavity. I'll probably upgrade the wiring to
a vintage style braided wires kit in order to clean up that mess.
The problem, for now, is solved. Thank you all :)

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Good show :thumb:

Get a 50's wiring harness from Jonesy. Put one in my R7 already and ordered another to do a total upgrade to the Epi. Going to replace pots, caps, wires, switch, pickups and bridge. Make it sound like it otter. Then it should make a good backup for gigs.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Good show :thumb:

Get a 50's wiring harness from Jonesy. Put one in my R7 already and ordered another to do a total upgrade to the Epi. Going to replace pots, caps, wires, switch, pickups and bridge. Make it sound like it otter. Then it should make a good backup for gigs.
That's probably what I'll do.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score