Bridge Info Sought - 2002 Les Paul Special Faded Cherry

lawrev

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2002 Special in Faded Cherry. The guitar is nicely worn throughout except for one thing: the bridge and tailpiece are still shiny chrome (pix below). I want to purchase an aged bridge and tailpiece so that it all works together.

My assumption is that the bridge / tailpiece is your normal TOM assembly. Is that correct? And can someone recommend a good replacement set up with aged parts? Thanks!

LP Special Bridge.jpg

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not into aged bridges but would get a faber if pressed...
they look actually old...great product too

lawrev

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I am new to this world as I normally operate in the Junior / Tailpiece world. I've had Faber on Juniors.

So this model year Special has a Nashville bridge? I never knew the difference. Thanks.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I am new to this world as I normally operate in the Junior / Tailpiece world. I've had Faber on Juniors.

So this model year Special has a Nashville bridge? I never knew the difference. Thanks.
Yes, Nashville and TOM (tune-o-matic) are the same thing.

lawrev

Reaction score
Yes, Nashville and TOM (tune-o-matic) are the same thing.
Thanks. I have read many posts on this board or others, and it often sounds like they are different. I thought Gibson only made one type of TOM. And the aged nickel is what I am looking for.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Thanks. I have read many posts on this board or others, and it often sounds like they are different. I thought Gibson only made one type of TOM. And the aged nickel is what I am looking for.
Gibson made two types; the ABR-1 was the original and that style is in the link I sent you and will fit on your existing posts. The “N” means that it will fit on your studs. I assumed you wanted the old style. The old ones were prone to collapsing so they made the TOM style. The TOM/Nashville style is more durable. I don’t think Faber sells the TOM style and I’m not sure that anyone sells an aged version of your TOM bridge.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
@lawrev Did some more research. Gibson calls both of these tune-o-matic bridges. The ABR is the old style and the Nashville is what you have. Gibson makes the Nashville in chrome, gold and nickel plating. The nickel ones will eventually age, the chrome ones like yours stay shiny forever.

Last edited:

rikko

Reaction score
IMG_20200627_175911953.jpg
I went with the Faber "Tonelock" ABR1 aged nickel.
Had to gently drill the holes for the inserts.
THE SOUND!
And it looks $EXY!!!

lawrev

Reaction score
Thanks for all this information! Very interesting and will make a decision too. Don't need to do it next week but in the near future. The Chrome parts stick out against the worn finish and other parts, so it is more aesthetic than anything else.

Latest Threads