Bridge Direction

Chondropython

Reaction score
Which is the correct way to install a tune-o-matic bridge? With the adjustment screws facing the neck or the tail piece? Looking at pics on line, I see people using them both ways... Stewmac says they should face the neck, Gibson installs them with the screws facing the tailpiece (at least that's how mine came on my Trad). Given that the saddles are not the same on each side (one side is flat, the other sloped), it would seem that there is a "correct" way.

Thoughts?

bobarino

Reaction score
usually abr-1 bridges have the screws facing the pickup and nashvilles have the srews facing the tailpiece.

River

Reaction score
usually abr-1 bridges have the screws facing the pickup and nashvilles have the srews facing the tailpiece.
That's pretty much it.

I flipped my ABR-1 'cause it worked better that way. The fact of the matter is: it doesn't matter.

I'm quite curious as to why you care. Your guitar's either intonated properly, or it's not.

If it's not - you're a manly man. If it is, well, my opinion on that is on record.

geezberry

Reaction score
Either way will work. You will not hear a difference.

If you think one way is better, you're dead wrong!
random-25d.jpg

bobarino

Reaction score
i thought you were gonna say "if you think one way is better, i'm gonna hunt you down and kill you"... :)

River

Reaction score
Either way will work. You will not hear a difference.

If you think one way is better, you're dead wrong!
You're getting really weird, joesatch. I thought I was weird, but you've got "weird" redefined to a new level of bat-shit crazy.

Bumping four-year-old threads, rep-posting the same pictures...

Did your meds run out? :hmm:

geezberry

Reaction score
You're getting really weird, joesatch. I thought I was weird, but you've got "weird" redefined to a new level of bat-shit crazy.

Bumping four-year-old threads, rep-posting the same pictures...

Did your meds run out? :hmm:
winning.jpg

Boppy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, but if you do flip it you'll have to switch the saddles around (so that the notches match the strings) and re-intonate. Kind of a pain in the ass, isn't it?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
If seen people flip the saddles. Dont ask me why

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
^ What Hot-Brit said. You can ask me too. :thumb:

Chondropython

Reaction score
I'm asking because I just got a new (used, pretty beat up) guitar that I'm trying to set up myself... I've always taken them to a tech in the past. It's an SG, and I'm not real happy with how it's playing. It's got an issue with the low e-string buzzing against the neck pickup, and it doesn't sustain worth a shit.

To address the buzzing, I thought about lowering the pickup, but since it was only the low e-string and no other strings, I thought I could have something to do with the bridge adjustment... so I started comparing it to my LP and noticed that the bridge was backwards. I also noticed the the tail piece is set very low and the strings touch the back of the bridge on their way to the tail piece... I guess this could have something to do with the sustain problem.

Anyway, since I've never messed with any of this stuff before, I'm reluctant to just start tweaking stuff without a plan for what I'm doing.

BigAl

Reaction score
Joe and Fam thread approved y'all :thumb:

BuseyFamily.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noKVrNK2VKM]YouTube - ‪Family Guy - HOW MY DOIN' TODAY GARY BUSEY? (Not Really HD, but similar to it)‬‏[/ame]

P.S. Sorry for the minor thread-jack :D

KenG

Reaction score
ABRs face the way they do to prevent the strings from hitting the adjustment screw heads as they travel back & down towards the tailpiece. With Nashvilles being wider to begin with they can't really hit the srew heads as the string would be contacting the back edge of the bridge long before that happened.

dynabite

Reaction score
Just be careful doing a string change, I see a few on here putting the bridge on backwards and gutting the saddles. If unsure just looks at the saddle slots. :thumb:

zontar

Reaction score
Just be careful doing a string change, I see a few on here putting the bridge on backwards and gutting the saddles. If unsure just looks at the saddle slots. :thumb:

This is the main difference for which way to put the bridge on--how are the string slots cut for?

04renostar

Reaction score
the bridge position, as others have mentioned, do vary depending on the bridge you have. I'd probably leave it as is & wouldn't worry about it. If the strings hit the back edge of the bridge, then you have two choices. You can raise the tail piece up until its high enough not to touch or you can top wrap the tail piece.

As for the e string buzzing against the pickup, lower the pickup. As you fret the string at the 22nd fret, you still shouldn't touch or buzz against the pickup. If it does, it's too high.

Those couple adjustments are simple to do and wont hurt anything. go ahead me mess with it and see how it works for ya. Good luck & I'm sure you'll have this thing playing better in no time.

Latest Threads