Bridge and neck volume control issues

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Just received a 2017 LP STD which of course is the PCB set up. When I turn the volume of the pickups all the way up, the volume cuts off completely. Back off a little and it comes in and out with static. Back to about 8 and it comes thru fine. Then all the way down it’s at max volume, up a little staticy, Then it gradually turns up to the upper volume issues. Tones seem fine. Also cuts out/static when lifting the knobs for split sounds.
Does this sound like bad pots, bad PCB wiring, etc? Does some contact need deoxit? Awaiting response from the seller but if it’s a simple fix, I’ll keep it. Thoughts?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound like the pots are dirty, possibly going south, but it could also be the soldered connections on the boards has failed.

Personally, I'd rewire it with discreet components and ditch the board.

mdubya

Reaction score
You can try Deoxit or just rotate the knobs without it. Might work, might not. It will almost certainly stay the same if you do nothing. :lol:

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
You can try Deoxit or just rotate the knobs without it. Might work, might not. It will almost certainly stay the same if you do nothing. :lol:
I’ve rotated the knobs a bunch to see if it was just some dust/dirt- no joy. I’ll try some deoxit and see.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
Spray the inside of the pots with CRC electronic cleaner spray and rotate the knobs.
F4FDC28D-4C03-466C-A3D8-E7B9DEBEFCD4_4_5005_c.jpeg

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Tried deoxit and it didn't fix it. It cuts out when you touch/wiggle the knob too. Think it might be where the pot is connected to the circuit board.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First try to re-flow all of the solder connections on the board.
RoHS solder sucks and it's not a matter of if, but when it will fail.
Use a good higher wattage iron... 40w or so.
15w iron will put too much heat into the board before the solder starts to flow.

Little dab of paste flux, little heat, and it should reflow without having to add more solder.
Don't use Home Depot plumbing flux on electronics... you need a rosin paste.

BobbyS

Reaction score
I’ve had the exact same problem and it was caused by tightening the nut too hard on the pot. Usually when I’ve done some work that required removing the board for some reason. Just lightly backing off the nut solves it.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Took it to a luthier/amp builder and he took a look at it. Checked everything and it looked ok, but still had the issue. I told him to go ahead and rip it out and put a traditional wiring harness in with good pots and caps.

Cory

Reaction score
Took it to a luthier/amp builder and he took a look at it. Checked everything and it looked ok, but still had the issue. I told him to go ahead and rip it out and put a traditional wiring harness in with good pots and caps.
Probably your best bet - hopefully this was done at the expense of the seller - whether it came from a store or a private seller, I’m struggling with them not disclosing this to you

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Probably your best bet - hopefully this was done at the expense of the seller - whether it came from a store or a private seller, I’m struggling with them not disclosing this to you
Yes- the seller has been great. Said he checked everything before it went out, but I can imagine shipping from west coast to east coast it got beat around pretty well and knocked something around on the board. He’s covering the cost of the wiring change.

1Mudman

Reaction score
Make sure the pot is grounded good! The ground wire could be a cold soldier or loose. I have found more bad soldier joints this past year on new guitars than in all the prior yrs. I imagine there is a lot of new workers due to the pandemic having to fill positions they have never done. I purchased a pretty expensive guitar 2 months ago and the output jack was loose and the Tremolo ground wire had a bad soldier joint. Wire was hanging loose in Trem cavity. Boy did the get a earful!

Last edited:

1Mudman

Reaction score
I used to buy a guitar and bring it home and play it for years and only have to replace strings. This year I bought several guitars of different brands and they were all high quality, beautiful instruments. The one thing that I have had problems with this year has been pots! scratchy, loose, dont function properly ect.. The music store bought guitars were taken of and new pots issued without a problem and thank me for be a good customer. The internet purchased guitars have been "well Im sure our tech checked it out, prior to shipping" blah blah blah. Still waiting to hear back on two different guitars from the factory LMAO! Pots are inexpensive items and even a really good one is $6.00. installation is the worst part because then you have messed with it instead of the tech, so warranty is IDIOS. Think Im going back to the family owned Music Store for the next purchase. At least they are more than willing to fix it!

Cory

Reaction score
Yes- the seller has been great. Said he checked everything before it went out, but I can imagine shipping from west coast to east coast it got beat around pretty well and knocked something around on the board. He’s covering the cost of the wiring change.
Awesome - glad to hear it worked out man - we’re only missing one thing…pics! :)

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Seller took care of the charges to replace the PCB with a 50’s style wiring set up. Sounds much better now!

Latest Threads