Bride pickup to pair with a custom bucker in the neck

Reaction score
Hi, I have a R0 that I love, with custombuckers on it. I really love the way the neck pick up sounds but it's been really hard for me to work with the one in th bridge due to it's lower volume and also this "very close to the bridge" kind of sound, if I might say. I'm looking for recommendations for a bridge humbucker to pair with the custom bucker on the neck, something versatile leaning towards classic or hard rock, and with a little more output so it can even out with the neck pick up or even surpass it a little. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Mr French

Reaction score
Hi, I have a R0 that I love, with custombuckers on it. I really love the way the neck pick up sounds but it's been really hard for me to work with the one in th bridge due to it's lower volume and also this "very close to the bridge" kind of sound, if I might say. I'm looking for recommendations for a bridge humbucker to pair with the custom bucker on the neck, something versatile leaning towards classic or hard rock, and with a little more output so it can even out with the neck pick up or even surpass it a little. Any suggestions will be appreciated
I have yet to personally try these new pickups but I can suggest you adjust the height of them to find a balance to your taste.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the Custombucker is the Groom........... ?

;)

Reaction score
I have yet to personally try these new pickups but I can suggest you adjust the height of them to find a balance to your taste.
I have tried different heights on the bridge pickup with no good results. The neck pickup is in tis sweet spot and I wouldn't want to mess with it :/

Stealer

Reaction score
If cable length allows, perhaps flip the positions?

Alternatively, and it's a bit of a guess given that we can't hear the neck pick-up in question, I'd highly recommend the bridge pick-up from Cream-T's "Scan 1" set:

Uncovered and blonde, as a suggestion.

You might want to grab a pair of their PIO caps whilst you're at it ;)

Good luck!

ARandall

Reaction score
The problem you will likely find is that without fluking it majorly, you will find it hard to get a randomly chosen bridge pickup to tonally balance the CB even if you do get something to better balance the outputs.
If you can find a winder who could do an 'overwound Custombucker' that would probably be the best......that or buy a calibrated matched set from a winder who knows roughly which if their sets is closest to the CB.

1allspub

Reaction score
^^^This.

Might be cheaper in the long run to just get a whole new boutique set so you know they should pair well together. I like a ballsier PAF tone in the bridge too and my personal faves are (in alphabetical order):
  • Bare Knuckle Mules
  • Brandonwound 59 Clones
  • Cream T Scan 3s
I’ve never been fully satisfied with any of the Custom Buckers I’ve had (5 sets so far) for the same reason you (the OP) states. Necks are usually pretty decent, but the bridge always seems to lack that glorious ballsy attack you hear in the best (IMO) real PAFs. I personally think it’s the A3 magnets they use in the CBs—they’re just too soft sounding for me.

All that said, everybody’s ears are different, so good luck on your tone quest! :cheers:

Last edited:

geezbill

Reaction score
Best bang for the buck is a Wolfetone Marshallhead for what you are describing
i have one of these in my LP bridge. It's a great pickup, might be a little hot for the OP, depends what he wants. I replaced a Pearly Gates with it, it is much hotter than a PG

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The JB are pretty standard.

Gibson 57+ 57 are still my favorite Gibson pickups.

Gibson Iommi signature bridge.

Pearly gates?

If you wanted to get really fancy you could get an EMG metal cover passive/active combo. Then you’d have a boost circuit IF you needed it and a pretty sweet sounding passive mode.

Doesn’t Duncan make this er version, and antiquity? I don’t know them just an option.

Suhr Steve Aldrich - I really like these. Loud and lots of gain but seem to respond to tone and volume shaping really well.

That reminds me, you could try changing out the volume and tone for the bridge. I almost always do that with my Gibson guitars even their expensive stuff has hit or miss pots. It might be worth messing with pots and caps before you give up on the CB. I tend to think Gibson bridge humbuckers are thin and harsh in general because their necks always seem so warm and loud.

You could send your guitar to Wildwood and have them custom wind something to match it. They or another shop could do this I’m sure. If you like the CB a neck keep it.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have one of these in my LP bridge. It's a great pickup, might be a little hot for the OP, depends what he wants. I replaced a Pearly Gates with it, it is much hotter than a PG
Yes it will kick the front of the amp pretty hard but it cleans up nicely when you back off. I have mine paired with a low output neck and it pairs up nicely

geezbill

Reaction score
Yes it will kick the front of the amp pretty hard but it cleans up nicely when you back off. I have mine paired with a low output neck and it pairs up nicely
yes i have it with a PG neck , great combination

clarkval21

Reaction score
Maybe try a Dirty Fingers in the bridge?

Torpedo Captor X, Marshall DSL40, Les Paul, Dirty Fingers, Pearly Gates

Sweeper5

Reaction score
I have a very nice R0…a 1996 model. Mine has classic 57 pickups. I am running through a Marshall JCM 900, and it is ay-mayzin. These classic 57s were original to the guitar, so I don’t know if the new ones will be the same.

Reaction score
If cable length allows, perhaps flip the positions?

Alternatively, and it's a bit of a guess given that we can't hear the neck pick-up in question, I'd highly recommend the bridge pick-up from Cream-T's "Scan 1" set:

Uncovered and blonde, as a suggestion.

You might want to grab a pair of their PIO caps whilst you're at it ;)

Good luck!
Interesting suggestion. Thanks!

Reaction score
^^^This.

Might be cheaper in the long run to just get a whole new boutique set so you know they should pair well together. I like a ballsier PAF tone in the bridge too and my personal faves are (in alphabetical order):
  • Bare Knuckle Mules
  • Brandonwound 59 Clones
  • Cream T Scan 3s
I’ve never been fully satisfied with any of the Custom Buckers I’ve had (5 sets so far) for the same reason you (the OP) states. Necks are usually pretty decent, but the bridge always seems to lack that glorious ballsy attack you hear in the best (IMO) real PAFs. I personally think it’s the A3 magnets they use in the CBs—they’re just too soft sounding for me.

All that said, everybody’s ears are different, so good luck on your tone quest! :cheers:
You really got a point here

Latest Threads