Brick Wall SG is Complete

ejendres

Reaction score
I'm really pleased with how it came together. The Duncan Antiquities sound real nice and the neck feels great. Sycamore body, mahogany neck with a scarf joint and a bocote fretboard.

Paint job was done by my buddy Alex (who the guitar is for). I sprayed a satin nitro clear to seal it all.

Little clip of the guitar straight into my JCM900.
https://soundcloud.com/ejendres%2Fsg-1

pshupe

Reaction score
That is great looking. I've used sycamore for neck laminates and I really like it. What bit and d.o.c. for the pickup routes and neck pocket? What CAM are you using? It seems like you took really shallow passes. I have been experimenting with trying to maximize the use of my longer bits. I've been cutting >2x bit diameter for pockets with a small stepover to maximize use of the cutter. It works really well. It should make the bit last much longer. Again great looking guitar.

Cheers Peter.

ejendres

Reaction score
That is great looking. I've used sycamore for neck laminates and I really like it. What bit and d.o.c. for the pickup routes and neck pocket? What CAM are you using? It seems like you took really shallow passes. I have been experimenting with trying to maximize the use of my longer bits. I've been cutting >2x bit diameter for pockets with a small stepover to maximize use of the cutter. It works really well. It should make the bit last much longer. Again great looking guitar.

Cheers Peter.
The sycamore is nice, I believe its a softer maple. It wasn't as difficult to cut as the maple I've used for necks.

I've been using a 3/8" EM with a 3/16" DOC. I've been using 1/2 the cutter dia as a rule of thumb with like 80% step over. I'll have to try using less step over an increasing the DOC. You're correct, the tips of my cutters get beat up fairly quickly. I'm using Fusion360 for CAM.

What's your approach to cutting the body outer profile?

pshupe

Reaction score
The sycamore is nice, I believe its a softer maple. It wasn't as difficult to cut as the maple I've used for necks.

I've been using a 3/8" EM with a 3/16" DOC. I've been using 1/2 the cutter dia as a rule of thumb with like 80% step over. I'll have to try using less step over an increasing the DOC. You're correct, the tips of my cutters get beat up fairly quickly. I'm using Fusion360 for CAM.

What's your approach to cutting the body outer profile?
Adaptive procedures work well for the pockets. If your pockets were 3/4" deep, you could do them in one pass with a very slight stepover. Sometimes I just look at machining time and adjust to get about the same time as the multiple passes. You could even go 1" deep with that 3/8" bit. You have at least that much cutter, might as well use it.

You are kind of stuck for the outer profile. I have seen people make a pocket about half the depth and then cut a shorter height at full engagement. I have been just using a small doc and just spending the extra time. One of the things I have been doing lately is setting a radial offset and a small doc, like 0.125 or 0.1875. Then do another procedure where it cuts full depth without the offset. This nicely cleans up the outside edges of the body.

Cheers Peter.

ejendres

Reaction score
Yeah that's the same thing I do. Shallow passes and then a full depth finishing cut, usually around .020"

Latest Threads