Brazilian Rosewood on Ebay Caution

pshupe

Reaction score
Can you tell it's not Brazilian just by the look? It looks like it may be coated in wax as well? Pretty hard to tell from pictures, no? I have som brazilian that looks like EIR and some that is almost an orange colour like padauk but grain patterns like ash. They both smell the same and I intend to test them with the black light against EIR. I definitely trust the guy I got them from and the price was right but it has made me question the ability for someone to look at a picture of a rough cut board covered in a sealer to say it's not Braz.

Regards Peter.

archey

Reaction score
Peter makes a good point. We can say with a certainty that most Brw has a particular appearance, but not all. It certainly does seem to be the color of Cocobolo though. Of course when you buy from eBay and you use PayPal, you will be able to return something if you find out that it's not what it claims to be in the description.

tabascom16

Reaction score
The weight was the deal breaker for me. Not just the pictures. Take his dimensions and his weight of just over 100lbs, crunch some numbers, and this baby is 10% heavier than water. It would sink like a rock. It is perfect density for Cocobolo (and possibly other very dense rose woods). If it was Brazilian it should be expected to weight somewhere around 75lbs. The math just doesn’t add up for it to be Brazilian.

Could it be Brazilian? Yes, but statistical analysis of density says it is so far off the chart it is very unlikely. It would be like having an 8lb Mahogany body blank that did not look like most other pieces of Mahogany you have seen but did look like other heavier woods you were aware of.

Last edited:

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
View attachment 296329
bottom is afore mentioned mystery board. while we're at it, curious about the other two also. I got a moderate stash of stuff last year when I 'retired' from my furniture building job. boss gifted me with a quantity of exotic falloffs not sure of some it it. the one on the bottom is quite heavy, and rings like a bell when plopped down on the planer table. thanks. no particular smell when planing. ( i mean the wood. i could stand a shower, though, as i've been in the shop all day)
Amaranth/Purpleheart my guess. I stumbled on this thread and your picture caught my eye. I have couple of small pieces of this in my garage. My days of working in a leather tannery, we used to rebuild the drums/wheels with this stuff.. I may be way off course but it looks like it to me. Good luck!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not much familiarity with purpleheart, as i've seen only a couple of boards in person. this board seems to have a bit more red in it in person, but certainly could be. at any rate, it's earmarked for fretboards. before it finds a home i want to see how it oxidizes. thanks for the input

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How does a black light tell you if it's Brazilian or not?

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you mix Brazilian rosewood dust in water or alcohol and hold it under blacklight it won't glow. Most other rosewood species are florescent to a certain extent, usually glowing a green color under blacklight.
No kidding. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Would regular rosewood glow under black light on the board? Or would that have to be dust and mixed too?

tabascom16

Reaction score
No the board will not glow.

After personally doing the water extract test on Honduran, Amazon, and Brazilian, I will preface this with some caution. First, use shavings, not saw dust. Use room temp tap water. Shake vigorously for a few seconds and test immediately in a dark room.

Brazilian extracts do not have as much affinity to water as most other rosewoods, but if you use hot enough water, fine dust, let it soak long enough you will get a black light response.

Even with the above method, Brazilian will put off a very faint hint of green, but if you compare that color with a standard of some other rosewood like Honduran or Amazon, the intensity of the others will be much more making the Brazilian look like no response at all. This test results in a very subtle color change. It is not intense like bodily fluids under black light.

After leaving Brazilian soak for some time it had the same intensity as the others.

Warren Weldon

Peters Creek , Alaska
Reaction score
The Feds have a paper available on the net for testing (BRW) rosewood against others such as kingwood.Don't have the link on hand but you can easily find it. I have never used dust to test I follow the procedures they use which calls for making a fresh dimple with a chisel and promptly testing. It seems to me dust would have to be pretty course and used promptly to avoid oxidation. Some friends and I purchased many sets off e-bay and every one tested as King wood. they pawn it off as rosewood mainly because visually it can't be determined and they mask it by using rose oil to mimic the scent of BRW. The rosewood oil industry (fragrance) is the real destroyer of BRW not furniture or Guitar building...