Brazilian Rosewood on Ebay Caution

tabascom16

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is anyone's Ebay ad.

Not sure how many of you scour Ebay for Brazilian. I do occasionally. While he says he won't ship that may not sway some for trying.

I am leaning towards this being Cocobolo. Based on board footage and density this stuff as listed is heavier than water. This plank is almost spot on expected weight for Cocobolo when estimating weight using average density of Cocobolo. The board estimate weight for Cocobolo would be 99 pounds. Brazilian would almost certainly be 75-85 pounds. No way could I personally take a gamble on this without seeing this in person. Proceed with caution.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=282871027447

Attachments

Last edited:

archey

Reaction score
I saw that piece. It doesn't look like Brazilian to me either. I wonder what a piece of Cocobolo that size should cost?

tabascom16

Reaction score
Glad you think the same thing. Smaller pieces of cocobolo at the exotic lumber store over by Washington, DC were on par with all the other rosewoods by the board foot. I am sure this would be an extra premium. Let's say $50 a board foot. That comes out to $850ish.

Pete M

Reaction score
I agree. It looks more consistent with cocobolo, which seems to have orange and black striping. Brazilian tends to have a lot more brown colour variation.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Nice lookin cocobolo, imo.

I wonder how many acoustic sets one could get out of that?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMG_5541.JPG
not to hijack a thread, but could some one hazard a guess as to what this is? i'm sure it's some kind of rosewood, but not sure. the board leaning on the chair back. sorry, i didn't think to plane it before taking a pic

cmjohnson

Reaction score
That's Mexican Cocobolo all day long. (Auction) I love to make necks out of the stuff but there's NO WAY that's Brazilian.

tabascom16

Reaction score
Impossible to tell from the rough cut picture fatdaddypreacher. The smell of Brazilian is a dead giveaway for Brazilian. I have also worked Honduran and Amazon and both have a spicy smell. I have tried water extract fluorescence on all 3 I mentioned and it works. Brazilian does put off a slight hint of fluorescence but not nearly as much as the others after a quick shake. Helps to have other reference materials.

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
..........on my iPhone the Orange screams Cocobolo, IMHO.

I very much doubt it is BRW but seeing it in the Flesh would be ideal of course.

:cheers2:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thlanks. i'll probably plane it and smell it and repost. i got it in a stash of wood and a bit uncertain of it's origin.

tabascom16

Reaction score
763C637E-CCD6-49BF-9A4C-86845BD9788F.jpeg
Here is some Honduran rosewood for reference. Has a spicy smell. I was initially thinking the same as Archey. The Honduran I have is more of a reddish/purplish brown than Brazilian or Amazon.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
very nice stuff. i'll have to dress mine tomorrow and see how similar it is to this. thanks for the pic

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMG_6137.JPG

bottom is afore mentioned mystery board. while we're at it, curious about the other two also. I got a moderate stash of stuff last year when I 'retired' from my furniture building job. boss gifted me with a quantity of exotic falloffs not sure of some it it. the one on the bottom is quite heavy, and rings like a bell when plopped down on the planer table. thanks. no particular smell when planing. ( i mean the wood. i could stand a shower, though, as i've been in the shop all day)