Brazilian Rosewood is great but my 2013 R8 with Indian is as dark as any Brazilian I have seen.

solsurfr

Reaction score
I have R9's that don't have a Brazilian board that I absolutely love and of course, a few with Brazilian boards that are stellar in their own rite. I think the allure really has more to do with vintage accuracy getting as close to the "magic" of a real Burst than anything else. It's never 100% but there seems to be a demand for reissues that come close to the spec's of vintage Bursts. Tonally, I feel Brazilian has a bit more metallic qualities to their tone. It's not overtly obvious but on some of mine, it's noticeable. I have one, in particular, which is a 2017 R9 Brazilian that just booms acoustically. I wasn't convinced that there were even 10's installed because it was so bright and loud. It wasn't harsh at all but very loud and warm at the same time. My guess is that it had more to do with hide-glue construction than anything else but there is a bit more of a metallic, sparkly quality to the tone compared to my other R9's that have Indian or Madagascar RW. To each their own but I love how they sound and feel to my fingers.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I did not forget. It's just Ebony is not rosewood.

Not sure what SSGIRW is? Tell me please! lol
Substandard Gibson Indian Rosewood.

Trust me, it well & truly exists. ;)

Hopefully this will disappear with the advent of the new Management, who I hope will treat their Wood suppliers with a little more respect.

:cheers2:

dspelman

Reaction score
I don't give a crank when it's a fretboard. Honestly, I prefer ebony waymuchmore.
But if we're talking the sides and back of an acoustic, Bazillion all the way.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
No chance to play a Braz board one yet but the 2017 and 2018 BRW-boarded ones on Youtube have that hollow vocal wah-wah quality that I really like. Is it the Braz-board or are the pups for the Braz run just wound and lightly potted that way?

There is a used 2018-already-Braz LP demo-ed by Greg Koch that has that in spades. It sounds like the late great sorely missed Otis Rush.

rogue3

Reaction score
In my experience, a BRW board that gets played a lot does seem to take on more of a glassy surface quality over time. Not sure they sound any different, though.
I have found this to be true as well with a couple madagascar board lesters i have.shiny.

Latest Threads