Brazilian Rosewood is great but my 2013 R8 with Indian is as dark as any Brazilian I have seen.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ But you'll never know whether it is or not, unless you are only judging by looks.

Scott Dollyhite

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for dark boards, Indian or Brazilian! Light streaky boards are a deal breaker for me even if the top is amazing. Looks like you got a good one Jlb32!

jlb32

Reaction score
Curtains....look at that messy bed....

Nice guitar! I would be very happy with that board.
Damn you guys are hard to please. :D

My bed was super messy that day but I was being lazy and had a few drinks on top of that! Those curtains are super old and ugly but they do great at keeping the sunlight out when I am working nights and have to sleep during the day. Lol I am reluctant to give them up. :cheers2:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black shoe polish makes a super dark board.

:naughty:

:rofl:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ I've done that to almost every guitar I own. Its also a super good polish in its own right on nitro too. Makes checking quite visible as well

mdubya

Reaction score
ES LP board basking in natural sunlight. I'd buy any number of vintage models for less than the current brw models if brw were that important to me.

20181008_160151.jpg

RAG7890

Reaction score
Madagascar kicks all your asses.
In many cases that is so true.

My current Custom build is rocking MGRW. I could have easily used BRW but decided to go with MGRW, as this is an integral part of the “sum of all parts” in the design of this Guitar.
:cheers2:

Last edited:

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I love that Gibson finally brought Brazilian back but it is no where close to better, as what the prices seem to be, compared to Indian. I would put my dark Indian boards up against any Brazilian. Looks wise and tonally.

Sorry, just ranting! :cheers2:

Wow what a beautiful Les Paul.

jamman

Reaction score
Indian, Madagascar, Brazilian. IMO they all offer killer fretboards of equal quality based on the board. I've seen poor and killer of all 3.
THIS ...... " I've seen poor and killer of all 3 "
IMO , this is a must be said statement . Not all woods are up to instrument grade standards and Gibson has had a way of pushing out some , nasty looking 1's in the past ... Even here , where I am , Junk is available at the same cost as "good looking, instrument quality boards ".
Hopefully the New Owners (At Gibson) will be "better" at sourcing all types used .

Treasure Hunt ,,,,, Soon (next year) .....:thumbs:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ problem with 'instrument grade' wood is that the concept is in no way performance based.....only looks.

So people drone on and on about 'poor' quality woods available now, maybe not realising that the measure is only aesthetic. Even when you get to some stability related measures, they still don't necessarily become relevant for fretboards, as the neck shaft wood and presence of a trussrod mean that the fretboard itself exerts very little warping/pulling force by comparison

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful LP and I’ll bet it still would be even if the board was lighter in color.

KBMelb

Reaction score
You forgot to mention two other options.

Ebony & SSGIRW.

:cheers2:
I love Ebony boards. 80% of why I prefer customs over bursts, but even my 2 LPC reissues exhibit a difference in the ebony. CC22 is very nice but the board on my B4 is otherworldly. The grain is almost only visible under direct sunlight.

Rick

Reaction score
I like a darker board but not so dark you can't see streaks. I still like to see a little figure on rosewood.

Like this (my 2014):

vs my 2016:

Still a few chocolate streaks in the 2016 but it's mostly uniformly dark.

That being said i never thought Brazilian=Dark anyway.

DrSte31n

Reaction score
I like a darker board but not so dark you can't see streaks. I still like to see a little figure on rosewood.

Like this (my 2014):

vs my 2016:

Still a few chocolate streaks in the 2016 but it's mostly uniformly dark.

That being said i never thought Brazilian=Dark anyway.
I think the frets make the biggest difference :)

Latest Threads