Brazilian Rosewood is great but my 2013 R8 with Indian is as dark as any Brazilian I have seen.

jlb32

Reaction score
I love that Gibson finally brought Brazilian back but it is no where close to better, as what the prices seem to be, compared to Indian. I would put my dark Indian boards up against any Brazilian. Looks wise and tonally.

Sorry, just ranting! :cheers2:

jlb32

Reaction score
Looks the same in direct light as it does in the pic above. That is a pretty overly bright pic overall compared to a darker light look.

Either way I am just ranting and not a big deal. Probably would just delete the thread if I could.

I am not going into trying to get direct light pics, sunlight pics, etc... for my rant. lol Just saying the board is as dark as any Brazilian I have owned or played.

ARandall

Reaction score
Everyone always seems to assume that Braz is some magical aspect that will somehow transform a guitar. Even from a tonal perspective it is silliness to ascribe such an 'upgrade' quality to it - its incredible tap-tone notwithstanding......to come at it only from an aesthetic standpoint beggars belief.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
nice board, nice top, nice guitar...enjoy!

KBMelb

Reaction score
I think it may be a known thing that GC doesn't get cream of the crop but while in the Orlando GC I saw a R9 Braz directly next to a R0 with IRW and other than the BRW being slightly purplish and IRW being reddish they looked and felt the same. Grain was even similar. Not worth the $$ to me.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In my experience, a BRW board that gets played a lot does seem to take on more of a glassy surface quality over time. Not sure they sound any different, though.

joff

Reaction score
My VOS Beano had to be replaced due to a wee crack in the back of the body, but the replacement got a snapped headstock on the way to me 'care of Fedex'...so, Gibson built me a new one which i could pick the top and the fretboard from a selection...i asked for the darkest one-piece Indian Rosewood fretboard that they had left in stock (this was in 2012 during the two-piece fretboard period). :)

VOS Beano.jpg

Beano.jpg

jamman

Reaction score
^^^ Great looking piece of wood you got .....
Come on guys ,,, BRW IS Magical ..Admit it ... you know it is ..... :slap:

Now ,,,get in line and lay down them extra bucks to get another LP that has it ..Gibson wont be using it forever .... I think ...... What's 1K-1,5K anyway , for a board of BRW ?:laugh2: .... You'd be helping Gibson stay afloat ,even making a profit ...
I mean , it's worth 10K+ ain't it ???? :rofl:

If the article I read yesterday or the day before is spot on and Gibson comes out of Chapter.11 soon , You think they will still be using it ???? I think,,,, not so much ..

There is a reason BRW is around (available to purchase) now .... $$$$$ .....

I think I'll wait for next years offering . Got to be a point where all these upgrades will be used and Real Nitro is added ,to make it complete (Back to the Future ??? :hmm: ) . Then , it will start all over again .... Don't fix what's not broke .

Pete M

Reaction score
I can't really feel or hear much difference in BRW versus IRW versus Ebony or anything else really. I don't tend to feel the fretboard at all when I play. Now some people will go on about how BRW feels glassy or oily or whatever to sell guitars. It is mostly about purist mentality and aesthetics. I prefer the way BRW looks for sure, but there are some really great looking IRW boards too.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My VOS Beano had to be replaced due to a wee crack in the back of the body, but the replacement got a snapped headstock on the way to me 'care of Fedex'...so, Gibson built me a new one which i could pick the top and the fretboard from a selection...i asked for the darkest one-piece Indian Rosewood fretboard that they had left in stock (this was in 2012 during the two-piece fretboard period). :)

View attachment 335625
View attachment 335626

Gibson did one for me too, it was an out of place (crooked) tuner that was not going to repair well. So I got a new guitar...I picked the top.

Latest Threads