Brazilian Boards

jpage1974

Reaction score
While they may feel different, there is no tonal difference between ebony, rosewood, and maple fretboards; between Indian & Brazilian? It is to laugh.

I have said it before, and it looks I may keep saying it forever: It takes a naturally good and quite experienced ear to tell the difference on an acoustic body - if you think you hear a difference with the fretboards of solidbodies, talk to your mental health provider about adjusting your meds.

"Braz freatboard" is the epitome of pointless corksniffery.
This made me laugh! I don't know if you are trying to be sarcastic but me and the guys at the shop loved this! haha!

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
EVERY thing has an effect on tone! BRW is stiffer than IRW... that causes a different tone! Better is subjective. Swamp Ash is night and day different than Alder in my Strats... maybe some people can't tell. Some people think that digital amps sound and feel the same as tube amps too! Some people are less "in tune." Go play a corrugated cardboard Les Paul and tell me if it sounds different since wood type doesn't matter... really! lol

scientifically, even if you don’t watch multiple videos on this subject like the one above, the wood of an electric guitar can only have an effect on PLUGGED IN tone of an electric guitar via:

1) tension
2) nothing else unfortunately

As long as:

1) the wood is hard enough (or whatever material you are using) to maintain tension of the strings and maintain the hardware and pickups (primary driver of “tone”) in place

2) and points of contact of strings are limited/sharp enough to not dull the vibration of the string (ie nut, saddle, fret… this is why freshly crowned frets sounds so good)…

Your tone should not change. This is why cardboard in your example wouldnt work. Plywood on the other hand or epoxy would… or a kitchen chair. I wish I could sit hear and say… “my ash body 60’ strat sounds different from my 64’ because of the body wood or the slab vs veneer rosewood used on the fret board”. Unfortunately, as romantic as that statement would be, in reality, if both guitars have the same setup, fret crowning, gauge of string and “point of contact” dressing/material (ie saddles, nut) and most importantly pickups… they sound identical despite the 300% difference in price.

Acoustic guitars are a bit different as the wooden cavity IS what amplifies the strings, not a magnetic pickup.

cortland1977

Reaction score
I have several guitars with brazilian boards both reissue and vintage. you cant hear or feel any difference from regular rosewood. It is worth more collectability wise just because that was what was used on vintage guitars and it is rare now since its protected with most pieces of it used in guitar building coming from reclaimed sources like furniture etc. I do think it can look a little tighter pore wise but im sure there are pieces of regular rosewood that could fool me. but you cant feel any difference or hear any difference

jaqueh

Reaction score

scientifically, even if you don’t watch multiple videos on this subject like the one above, the wood of an electric guitar can only have an effect on PLUGGED IN tone of an electric guitar via:

1) tension

As long as:

1) the wood is hard enough (or whatever material you are using) to maintain tension of the strings and maintain the hardware and pickups (primary driver of “tone”) in place

2) and points of contact of strings are limited/sharp enough to not dull the vibration of the string (ie nut, saddle, fret… this is why freshly crowned frets sounds so good)…

Your tone should not change. This is why cardboard in your example wouldnt work. Plywood on the other hand or epoxy would… or a kitchen chair. I wish I could sit hear and say… “my ash body 60’ strat sounds different from my 64’ because of the body wood or the slab vs veneer rosewood used on the fret board”. Unfortunately, as romantic as that statement would be, in reality, if both guitars have the same setup, fret crowning, gauge of string and “point of contact” dressing/material (ie saddles, nut) and most importantly pickups… they sound identical despite the 300% difference in price.

Acoustic guitars are a bit different as the wooden cavity IS what amplifies the strings, not a magnetic pickup.
Yeah I totally agree braz increases value and looks different and is cool that you’re doing something naughty by possessing some highly regulated organic material that’s banned in a few countries, but no impact on tone otherwise.

frehley76

Reaction score
My 2003 R7 was only $1600 new, so for me it was a great buy and the Braz a plus. Does it make a difference in sound? I would not know unless I changed the board on that particular guitar, does it feel better? That it does by far.

jpage1974

Reaction score

1) tension

As long as:

Much like those that believe in a “flat earth”, you can find videos to “prove” anything…. Unfortunately, it defies physics and common sense to believe that type of wood (density, thickness, composition) would not have an effect on tone. There are SO many things wrong with your logic. So, strings at the same tension but different thicknesses and material all sound the same??? Please go to school

jaqueh

Reaction score
Much like those that believe in a “flat earth”, you can find videos to “prove” anything…. Unfortunately, it defies physics and common sense to believe that type of wood (density, thickness, composition) would not have an effect on tone. There are SO many things wrong with your logic. So, strings at the same tension but different thicknesses and material all sound the same??? Please go to school
Would love for you to share some videos that have the same scientific rigor behind them as the video that was shared.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
dude, don't worry, your Brazilian rosewood les paul's value will be fine even if there's no difference in tone; you still have the apex product, the macho of all macho, you can still assert your dominance at the next village guitar show. At least let's agree on that and move on haha

jpage1974

Reaction score
Would love for you to share some videos that have the same scientific rigor behind them as the video that was shared.
Sure! I could. I can. I may. However, the fact that you are assessing tone through headphones and/or computer speakers speaks loudly to your level of insight. You could play a Les Paul made out of scrap and it would sound the same as Greeny played through A COMPUTER if set up was the same…. That would prove nothing though. Live is VERY DIFFERENT! Let’s take one topic…. SUSTAIN- do some materials vibrate/resonate/ring out longer than others? Does a brass bell ring differently than a wooden bell? Does the length and amplitude of the vibration affect the height and frequency of the resonant peaks? Oh, so they sound “different “. Huh, interesting

jpage1974

Reaction score
dude, don't worry, your Brazilian rosewood les paul's value will be fine even if there's no difference in tone; you still have the apex product, the macho of all macho, you can still assert your dominance at the next village guitar show. At least let's agree on that and move on haha
I don’t need your permission for anything… congratulations for spelling “apex” correctly. I will let your third grade teacher know that you figured it out! Lol!

jaqueh

Reaction score
Sure! I could. I can. I may. However, the fact that you are assessing tone through headphones and/or computer speakers speaks loudly to your level of insight. You could play a Les Paul made out of scrap and it would sound the same as Greeny played through A COMPUTER if set up was the same…. That would prove nothing though. Live is VERY DIFFERENT! Let’s take one topic…. SUSTAIN- do some materials vibrate/resonate/ring out longer than others? Does a brass bell ring differently than a wooden bell? Does the length and amplitude of the vibration affect the height and frequency of the resonant peaks? Oh, so they sound “different “. Huh, interesting
All of those bands who play live and don't have braz board guitars sure are looking quite foolish to me now after you've pointed this out. they're playing as though they've been caught with their pants around their ankles!

jpage1974

Reaction score
All of those bands who play live and don't have braz board guitars sure are looking quite foolish to me now after you've pointed this out. they're playing as though they've been caught with their pants around their ankles!
Nobody said that other woods sound worse… just different! Do tube amps sound different than digital?

Peter M

Reaction score
Through a basic amp setting, I can hear the difference between maple and rosewood boards. But rosewood 1 vs. rosewood 2, or ebony... not really.

jaqueh

Reaction score
Nobody said that other woods sound worse… just different! Do tube amps sound different than digital?
I use tube amps because I’m a bedroom player, they’re simpler and I don’t need a ton of different sounds for any major reason. But you tell me:

55special

Reaction score
I'm going to throw some fuel on the fire here haha. How about this... just because some people can't hear a difference doesn't mean there isn't one :) You could say the same thing about cheap vs expensive wine. People have different hearing sensitivities. And the great things is, if you don't hear or feel a difference, you can save a whole bunch of money.

I hear major differences between woods. I have 2 Tele's for example... both have the same pickups, but one is a 100% rosewood Tele. They sound nothing like each other. And you'll hear anyone with one of those rosewood Tele's say the same thing. There's no twang on that guitar. It's just beefy, round, and clear.

I had no preconceived notions when I got my first BRW board. As soon as I played it, it was obviously different. And it kind of ruined other guitars for me. And like I mentioned before, I don't think these newer guitars with BRW boards are of the same caliber as 50s or 60s instruments. They had their pick of the best stuff back then. Now, they sell what's left and are likely holding on to their best examples.

jpage1974

Reaction score
I use tube amps because I’m a bedroom player, they’re simpler and I don’t need a ton of different sounds for any major reason. But you tell me:
Tube amps are VERY different! I play modelers and tube amps for different reasons/purposes but Tube amps ARE different in tone, response, feel, etc.

jpage1974

Reaction score
Tube amps are VERY different! I play modelers and tube amps for different reasons/purposes but Tube amps ARE different in tone, response, feel, etc.
through a computer though... they sound pretty much the same...

jaqueh

Reaction score
I'm going to throw some fuel on the fire here haha. How about this... just because some people can't hear a difference doesn't mean there isn't one :) You could say the same thing about cheap vs expensive wine. People have different hearing sensitivities. And the great things is, if you don't hear or feel a difference, you can save a whole bunch of money.

I hear major differences between woods. I have 2 Tele's for example... both have the same pickups, but one is a 100% rosewood Tele. They sound nothing like each other. And you'll hear anyone with one of those rosewood Tele's say the same thing. There's no twang on that guitar. It's just beefy, round, and clear.

I had no preconceived notions when I got my first BRW board. As soon as I played it, it was obviously different. And it kind of ruined other guitars for me. And like I mentioned before, I don't think these newer guitars with BRW boards are of the same caliber as 50s or 60s instruments. They had their pick of the best stuff back then. Now, they sell what's left and are likely holding on to their best examples.
Yeah I like this; subjectively they might have a difference, but to say with certainty that objectively there IS a difference is a stretch.

jaqueh

Reaction score
Check out the video I linked first!

Latest Threads