Brazilian Boards

cmjohnson

Reaction score
No, I don't. It's beautiful but I don't think it is the magical be-all and end-all of tonewood. Actually my favorite fingerboard wood by far is African Blackwood. It's what Ebony hopes to be when it grows up.

Yes I have worked with BRW. I made a guitar with a neck made of solid BRW, about 13 years ago. The fingerboard was a slice off the same block.

I have a BRW board sitting here, just waiting for me to build a guitar to fit it up to.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Yes if it’s dark / chocolaty (purely looks though, no difference in tone on an electric solid body). I won’t buy a “reissue” Gibson/Fender without it (unless of course it’s supposed to be an ebony/maple board model).

Also, if the BRW looks ugly/ashy like this, whether it’s on an original vintage instrument or on a reissue, I’m not gonna buy it no matter how great it sounds… it’s disgusting to my eyes…

1668150039530.jpeg

1668150050302.jpeg

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think BRW has a different feel to it, possibly due to the way it absorbs natural oils from your fingers? A good, played-in Braz board gets a glassy feeling that I've not quite experienced from other species.

1allspub

Reaction score
I think BRW has a different feel to it, possibly due to the way it absorbs natural oils from your fingers? A good, played-in Braz board gets a glassy feeling that I've not quite experienced from other species.
How does in it feel compared to ebony?

asapmaz

Reaction score
Is a Brazilian board worth double the admission price for tone and playability? No.
Is it worth it because you might get your money back and more in the future and have an easier time selling due to its limited nature out of thousands of Reissues? Maybe.

dompolito

Reaction score
Please just send me all your crappy sounding Brazilian boards. Let me relieve you of your stress. :)

jaqueh

Reaction score
Yes if it’s dark / chocolaty (purely looks though, no difference in tone on an electric solid body). I won’t buy a “reissue” Gibson/Fender without it (unless of course it’s supposed to be an ebony/maple board model).

Also, if the BRW looks ugly/ashy like this, whether it’s on an original vintage instrument or on a reissue, I’m not gonna buy it no matter how great it sounds… it’s disgusting to my eyes…

View attachment 648664

View attachment 648665
Joking?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 648664

View attachment 648665
How about Madagascar Rosewood?

Reactions: Jer

Mnc

Reaction score
IMO nothing beats ebony...My Taylor, ( 2000) and Deering Sierra, ( 2006) have fantastic fretboards. If you like the looks of the brazilian RW and are willing to pay the premium good for you. PT Barnum explained the marketing behind it all over a hundred years ago.

jaqueh

Reaction score
IMO nothing beats ebony...My Taylor, ( 2000) and Deering Sierra, ( 2006) have fantastic fretboards. If you like the looks of the brazilian RW and are willing to pay the premium good for you. PT Barnum explained the marketing behind it all over a hundred years ago.
Ebony is the best indeed. the stuff gibson uses today is all painted black now, I don't even mind richlite. I'm really not a fretboard snob though...

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Lol yeah! Screw reality and wanting to not waste a resource intense natural material! I want my wood to look a certain way because it was that way for my parents!
How about you clamp down on Wayfair dealers… one less ebony or brw dining room table (the producer of which bribes their way to get an export permit for) is enough to make about 1,000 fretboards.

bluesoul

Reaction score
How about Madagascar Rosewood?

Nearly the same feel as Braz IMO. I love the Mad boards!

I have two vintage strats with braz boards. They do have a feel that is a little different than the irw boards. A little sheen when light refects off them too.

68 with a very dark braz board.

wngm8ojf3kmzkkejiujz.jpg

And believe it or not a 74 with a braz board. Uncommon for a 74 but every now and then you get one like this one!
74.jpg

Latest Threads