Brasil World Cup

LPBR

Reaction score
Yesterday someone has suggested me to start a thread talking some about this subject. I think that being a brazilian myself it is pretty fair.

I am not a soccer fan although it is the official sport in my country and therefore I am not willing to watch no one play and also I am not involved in no one project linked to the event; so I really don't care about this. However I can understand how it could be important to Brasil in terms of economic and event politic oportunies and how they are wasting it.

I have seen in the intenational media some articles about the problems surrounding the preparation for the event such as delay in the stadium, logistic problems, etc, etc.

While there is a lot of true there, it is important to know that this is a cultural thing so not really something to worry about. I don't know why but everyhting that happens is Brasil is done in a snail pace. Along the way they always waste a lot of resources, time and money. And then suddenly when the time frame has expired completely everybody works like crazy to finish things in a rush in the very last minute. I know this is insane, but this is just how things are here.

:shock:

The funny part is that eventually everything will be finished on time to the cup, although for sure a few things will be badly finished. This is the brazilian way.

:p

I never understood why we have this bad habit. And it is not only a government thing. Companies and institutions does like this. Even people in day by day does this way. We live within a procrastinating culture.

Regarding to the cup I feel sorry that it is no different because Brasil has awaited for decades for the oportunity to host this important sport event and when finaly it is here, they do not give the proper attention. Being the country where soccer is more played it shouldn't be like this.

Well, unfortunately it won't end with the cup. We are going to host the Olympic games in four years (2018) and it will be exactly the same way.

:facepalm:

Howard2k

Reaction score
Hey man, the country is called Brazil. Or is it called Brasil in Brazilian?

j/k.

Looking forward to it! England will be home before their postcards as usual, but hopefully there's a few moments of brilliance all the same. I haven't been keeping up with the football much recently so don't even have a "favourite" to win at this point. So whatever happens should be an unexpected surprise!

Where in Brazil are you? Going to any of the games? Or are they all priced for the foreigners?

LPBR

Reaction score
Where in Brazil are you? Going to any of the games? Or are they all priced for the foreigners?

I am in Sao Paulo. Not going to watch any game as I am not a soccer fan.... Have no idea about the prices but I think it is OK for foreigners. The problem is that I think that all tickets are sold out aldeady.

:)

Cpt Matt Sparrow

Reaction score
Great thread :)

I'm counting down the days, I love league football (La Liga and Premiere League) but particularly international football.

I'm sure Brazil will rise to the challenge and have most things ready. Mark Mystic Matt's words...

England will come second in the group and have a good tournament.

MM

kmk108

Reaction score
The World Cup. The time when all American fans dress in stupid stuff. I've got a pair of American flag pants myself :laugh2:

People are outraged at the exclusion of Landon Donovan from the US roster. I think it's a mistake, but I see the reasoning.

I'll be pulling for England second, since it's the league I watch the most. I don't know if they'll qualify for the knockouts or not, but I didn't expect them to go as far as they did in the Euros two years ago.

Belgium is third, mainly because of Chelsea's the Hazards, Courtois, and Lukaku. I want Lukaku to light the place up so we can either keep him or sell him for a nice price. Same goes with Courtois.

Fourth, and last, is die Deutsche. I've always liked them.

kmk108

Reaction score
I'll just drop this in here:

Group A:
Brasil
Croatia

Mexico
Cameroon

Group B:
Spain
Netherlands

Chile
Australia

Group C:
Ivory Coast
Greece

Columbia
Japan

Group D:
Italy
England

Uruguay
Costa Rica

Group E:
France
Honduras

Switzerland
Ecuador

Group F:
Argentina
Nigeria

Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran

Group G:
Germany
Portugal

United States
Ghana

Group H:
Belgium
Russia

South Korea
Algeria

Pennyman

Reaction score
... I don't know why but everyhting that happens is Brasil is done in a snail pace. Along the way they always waste a lot of resources, time and money. And then suddenly when the time frame has expired completely everybody works like crazy to finish things in a rush in the very last minute. I know this is insane, but this is just how things are here.

The funny part is that eventually everything will be finished on time to the cup, although for sure a few things will be badly finished. This is the brazilian way.

I never understood why we have this bad habit. And it is not only a government thing. Companies and institutions does like this. Even people in day by day does this way. We live within a procrastinating culture.

So I guess, "Ordem e Progresso" is more of a suggestion, really.

(Just teasing~) :naughty:

kmk108

Reaction score
Oh, and be happy thousands of migrant workers aren't dying each year like they are in Qatar.

I can't wait for that scrutiny to come around for Qatar.

Rankelson

Reaction score
Oh, and be happy thousands of migrant workers aren't dying each year like they are in Qatar.

I can't wait for that scrutiny to come around for Qatar.
Heath and Safety was better in Mogadishu than it is in Qatar :naughty:

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Yesterday someone has suggested me to start a thread talking some about this subject. I think that being a brazilian myself it is pretty fair.

I am not a soccer fan although it is the official sport in my country and therefore I am not willing to watch no one play and also I am not involved in no one project linked to the event; so I really don't care about this. However I can understand how it could be important to Brasil in terms of economic and event politic oportunies and how they are wasting it.

I have seen in the intenational media some articles about the problems surrounding the preparation for the event such as delay in the stadium, logistic problems, etc, etc.

While there is a lot of true there, it is important to know that this is a cultural thing so not really something to worry about. I don't know why but everyhting that happens is Brasil is done in a snail pace. Along the way they always waste a lot of resources, time and money. And then suddenly when the time frame has expired completely everybody works like crazy to finish things in a rush in the very last minute. I know this is insane, but this is just how things are here.

Regarding to the cup I feel sorry that it is no different because Brasil has awaited for decades for the oportunity to host this important sport event and when finaly it is here, they do not give the proper attention. Being the country where soccer is more played it shouldn't be like this.

Well, unfortunately it won't end with the cup. We are going to host the Olympic games in four years (2018) and it will be exactly the same way.

:facepalm:

Sepp B. and FIFA know how and who's pockets to line.
Their cronies are happy, Sepp B. wants a new term as head of FIFA.

This is not about football or progress for the people of whichever country hosts it....

[purple]A lot has changed for South African people, right...[/purple] :fingersx:

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
I'll just drop this in here:

Group A:
Brasil
Croatia

Mexico
Cameroon

Group B:
Spain
Netherlands

Chile
Australia

Group C:
Ivory Coast
Greece

Columbia
Japan

Group D:
Italy
England

Uruguay
Costa Rica

Group E:
France
Honduras

Switzerland
Ecuador

Group F:
Argentina
Nigeria

Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran

Group G:
Germany
Portugal

United States
Ghana

Group H:
Belgium
Russia

South Korea
Algeria

In group D though, Urugay will pass Italy (Italy will not make it to the 2nd round)

Cpt Matt Sparrow

Reaction score
The old snidey "the yanks can't play football" jokes, that I remember from school, have disappeared over the years making many people rightly eat their words. They are 14th in the world (and remember that is out of 207 countries) while players such as Donovan have became loved and respected performers in the English premiere League.

So if you have stumbled uponn this thread, American - and are on the fence whether to support your country, please do! America needs you. Plus Mystic Matt predicts in the next twenty years they will be a top, top team, IF the people and the $$$ get behind promoting the game.

Matt

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
I want to believe you :D - but what makes you think that?

My special England classical guitar case I have started using

Matt

2 goalies?

suarez2_1671849c.jpg

LPBR

Reaction score
So I guess, "Ordem e Progresso" is more of a suggestion, really.

Absolutely. I hate that.

Lately the 'progress' has been a reality though. We have watched a BIG improvement in the economics overall although it is a ridiculous growth when compared with the potential that our country has. Here we call our country of 'sleepy giant' with a reference of a very powerful nation that could be in world leading but that does not find the drive to move the muscles.

To give you an idea how our power is wasted, just look this: Brasil has owed BIG money to the FMI for decades and just accepted to have the government vault to be bleeded by paying extorsive high inerests while the core of the debt didn't stop to grow. When Lula was president in only 4 years he paid the FULL debt and today Brasil loan money to other countries. In the latest 5 years or so more than 30% of the poor population has raised to the medium society. And there are other fine numbers. Anyway, we could be more.

All in all is good to be a brazilian and live here. Great country, great people, great weather, great economy, cheap stuff.

Now to the 'order' part... well... you read my text.

:laugh2:

LPBR

Reaction score
I am thrilled by the expectatives of you guys about the Cup results. I am not too optimistic about Brasil results. Regardless the good results of the latest contests, I usually don't see CBF takes it too seriously and by my point of view the 4th and 5th awards achieved by Brasil was nothing more than a succession of lucky happenings that drove the team to the first position.

Although I am not a soccer fan, would be nice to see Brasil to conquer its 6th title at home.

:thumb:

LPBR

Reaction score
What is this "soccer" you speak of?

Well, as far as I know 'soccer' is the name of the 'real' football.

This name is used because when you say 'football' in a middle of a bunch of americans they think you are talking about another thing.

This is football:

American-Football.jpg

This is soccer:

College_soccer_yates_iu_v_tulsa_2004.jpg

Am I missing something here?

:hmm:

Please, fellows... correct me if I am wrong!

:)

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The country with the most weapons gets to decide which is the "real football." ;)

Latest Threads