Brandon wound pickups teaming up with Gibson custom shop?

Jer

Reaction score
Anyone else catch wind of this?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.........if true

Jer

Reaction score
I’m trying to find where I read it for you guys. I know the custom shop is working on new PAF’s that are supposedly going to be very close to the old ones. That part I read in one of the guitar interviews for the new Murphy Lab geets.

Jer

Reaction score
From Matt Koehler at Gibson:

“We should have owned the pickup market for Gibson-style pickups and we don’t. That’s an opportunity that we have been aware of all the time, but the time hasn’t been right. What I can say is that we are going to tell stories that have never been told, with never before seen blueprints and archives, and we will be making extremely historically accurate PAFs in the future.”

ARandall

Reaction score
Man, if this wasn't the 20th time Gibson had said 'we're going to make the most historically accurate x-artefact thats ever been made' this might be impressive. But its been their spiel practically every year the RI has been made, and has been the implied catchcry of a few pickup models already.

Its always been the 'will' that is lacking, because the more each pickup costs the more the price rises, or profits have to drop. Lets face it when people buy a Gibson its not like you have the option of purchasing it cheaper without pickups fitted.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Brandon wound T tops are supposed to be very good. I ordered a set and got his PAF offering instead. I kinda just said F it and installed them anyways. They sound great albeit I think just a little noisier but not anything you notice while playing.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From Matt Koehler at Gibson:

“We should have owned the pickup market for Gibson-style pickups and we don’t. That’s an opportunity that we have been aware of all the time, but the time hasn’t been right. What I can say is that we are going to tell stories that have never been told, with never before seen blueprints and archives, and we will be making extremely historically accurate PAFs in the future.”
Matt spouted some serious BS in that article. He is already trying hard to walk back his disparaging comments about the Collector's Choice line (there's a great thread on the other forum in which he has posted an apology). I wonder how much longer he will have that job.

Also agree with @ARandall about the whole "you ain't seen historically accurate yet, but it's coming" nonsense becoming very tired at this point. Overall, I feel like the new leadership at Gibson took a big step backward this year after such a promising start.

Last edited:

AcVox

Reaction score
Gibson have to maintain the premise that next year will be' the one', while assuring (I'm just speculating ) the Gibson board that this cant happen, not yet, thereby securing the RI project another year of reliable revenue coming in. .

Year on year you take your stake in the promise of another great leap towards the final, ultimate, last, absolutely the last, can't get better, authentic, molecular level, I mean you really just won't believe it this time, honestly we're not even joking this time, the tone is in.. To be revealed in 2022..

I just wish that Gibson had completed the RI project yrs ago and moved the company on. They know exactly how it's done, and have had the material and means to do so for at least 15 yrs if not far more.

Do Gibson understand that players and collectors alike are gradually becoming understandably cynical about Gibson's RI project
intensions ?

Last edited:

Jer

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you gents have said. It’s fucking rediculous. I can’t seem to find the article, I must’ve hallucinated. Damn shrooms.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
It's difficult for Gibson.
People always buy the new stuff, just like with phones. You latest iphone is only 1 year old? Who cares, when the new model comes you want to have it right? (Well not me, but majority of people i see always want the newest or best stuff that comes out).
So how do you sell the same product to the same people that already own the same thing? You make a slight improvement and bingo.

Dilemma though.....let the improvements develop too fast, few years later you have a product that can't be improved, you can no longer sell guitars, bankrupt, bye.
Let the improvements come too slow... and other companies will offer what you are lacking. We can see it happening all around us can't we. There's an exlosion of new boutique winders, few years later explosion of electronics, wiring kits etc... even a booming bussiness of companies offering full make overs. People spend thousands of dollars on that shit.

Think Gibson finally realised they are going too slow, they're losing ground to people offering stuff that Gibson should have been offering.
I see the whole Murphy Lab as a move to compete with historic makeover and similar companies.
It makes sense they finally try to compete with the boutique winders. Literally all of them are selling paf clones, t-top clones, pat# no clones, and whatever.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Gibson should team up with the winders we keep praising here. Throbak, Wizz, OX4.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you gents have said. It’s fucking rediculous. I can’t seem to find the article, I must’ve hallucinated. Damn shrooms.
They will never "team up with" them. That will only generate more bussiness for the winder. It's basicly the opposite of what they want.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Matt spouted some serious BS in that article. He is already trying hard to walk back his disparaging comments about the Collector's Choice line (there's a great thread on the other forum in which he has posted an apology). I wonder how much longer he will have that job.
And in his apology, he offered more insulting comments.

Metlking

Reaction score
From Facebook: We have an announcement. I will step down as owner of Brandonwound Pickups and pass the torch to Zach Oswald to own and run Brandonwound. Zach learned the pickup building skills over the last 5 yrs at Brandonwound. Zach has been building most the orders for at least 4 yrs now. You most likely already have pickups built by Zach.
His passion for vintage guitars and attention to detail is extraordinary. I would have no one else carry on the name Brandonwound.
Where am I going? Starting this Monday I will be the pickup product manager at Gibson Brands. I will take with me my knowledge and work ethic to contribute to the team at our favorite guitar brand, Gibson.

mdubya

Reaction score
Gibson pickup winding strategy:

Produce the exact same pickup as cheapy as possible, slap a sticker on it calling any one of a dozen pickup models. Done.

Latest Threads