Brand new to Gibsons, need advice with a $3,000 budget!

newbieduud58

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I've been a Fender guy through and through, playing nothing but strats ever since.. however, it's no longer cutting it and I can't get all the Bloomfield, Green, Clapton tones out of my strat. As much as I am familiar with The history of Fender guitars and the nuances of different models, I have no clue where to start with Gibson. I'm looking for a Les Paul, nothing crazy, but a good workhorse of a guitar for my budget.. however, al of the ones I've seen online are either boat anchors (my pre-cbs strat is less than 7lbs) at 9-10lbs and have baseball bats for necks. What are some good models that have the slim '60s neck with a decent weight, as low as you can go for a solid body les Paul. For what it's worth, I'm partial to simpler colours, no flame, nothing, a simple gold top. I can't go in stores because of lockdown. Help a guy out! Best

stratfish

Reaction score
You can usually get a decent Gibson Custom Shop '57 Goldtop Reissue (a.k.a. "R7") for about $3K... but the neck will be a chunky 50's profile.

Since you are a LP newbee and like thinner necks maybe cut your teeth on a Made In Japan LP copy for about 33-50% of your budget. Build quality is usually pretty good, with good tone woods. May need to swap in some different pickups, pots and tone caps - or may get one that sounds killer As-Is. Most MIJ LP copies don't have the fret edge binding or nitro lacquer finish, so they're not 100% "historically accurate/vintage correct" but they play great for one third to one half the price of a Gibson (in my opinion.) I currently own 3 MIJ LP's and one Gibson (sold all the others!)

Check out the "MIJ Classifieds" on this site.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-mij-classifieds-please-read-the-rules-before-posting.128402/page-621#post-9737306

Last edited:

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I have an 1997 Gibson Les Paul in great condition I can't say ment condition because it's an 97 but it looks awesome when my dad passed in 2005 it was given to me and it has just been sitting in my room I don't play but I wish I could I don't know what to ask for it I know my dad paid 2500 for it and I have not seen to many in this dark red color I will add some pics so you can check her out he told me it's all original and has never been worked on and when I put in the serial number on the Gibson website it was made in Nashville
Horrible pics, do you have any that are in focus. You're saying your dad paid $2500 for that? $2500 in 1997?

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I have an 1997 Gibson Les Paul in great condition I can't say ment condition because it's an 97 but it looks awesome when my dad passed in 2005 it was given to me and it has just been sitting in my room I don't play but I wish I could I don't know what to ask for it I know my dad paid 2500 for it and I have not seen to many in this dark red color I will add some pics so you can check her out he told me it's all original and has never been worked on and when I put in the serial number on the Gibson website it was made in Nashville
Looks like a Studio? Can't tell with the blurry photos.

Socrates

Reaction score
Maybe one of the new Les Paul Moderns? They have some really slim necks, come in cool looking solid colors, ebony fretboards and seen several in the 8-9lb range...$2800.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. $3k will get you pretty much anything in the LP including reissues line. The right one will come your way.

coupe89

Reaction score
Try out a 2016-2018 Standard thin necks and light weight .

newbieduud58

Reaction score
What year do necks start getting skinnier? Do those come in your standard gold? To my knowledge they start getting slimmer in 59, but idk. Any recommendations?

stratfish

Reaction score
I second this. You should be able to find a nice R8 for $3K
I second Sp8ctre's seconding that - for those who like chunky necks like I do!
However ~ OP wants a thin neck so likely wouldn't bond with either R8 or R7... just sayin'...

Rds

Reaction score
There should be several good choices for that money. I would say on the neck you mentioned, there are different neck profiles. I have a traditional pro ii with 60s profile neck. Much slimmer and fast. Good luck.

Ericb49

Reaction score
1997 GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO 1k

Attachments

Last edited:

Hogie34

Reaction score
Can you tell me what makes it a studio?
no binding on the body or neck. Hardware etc. You said he paid $2500 for it in ‘97. That was where my “burned” statement came from. Take a look on reverb and eBay and look at what the actual selling prices are and that’ll give you an idea what to list it for. I along with most people wouldn’t pay a grand for a used studio when for a couple bucks more, you can get new. Just a heads up.

integra evan

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I've been a Fender guy through and through, playing nothing but strats ever since.. however, it's no longer cutting it and I can't get all the Bloomfield, Green, Clapton tones out of my strat. As much as I am familiar with The history of Fender guitars and the nuances of different models, I have no clue where to start with Gibson. I'm looking for a Les Paul, nothing crazy, but a good workhorse of a guitar for my budget.. however, al of the ones I've seen online are either boat anchors (my pre-cbs strat is less than 7lbs) at 9-10lbs and have baseball bats for necks. What are some good models that have the slim '60s neck with a decent weight, as low as you can go for a solid body les Paul. For what it's worth, I'm partial to simpler colours, no flame, nothing, a simple gold top. I can't go in stores because of lockdown. Help a guy out! Best
Its tough when you can't get in stores to try out. So, ill make my recommendation to you: a 2017 Traditional. It'll have a slimmer neck profile yet super comfortable, and out of the 7 I have owned, 6 of them were below 9 pounds. I will say this about Les Pauls: a 9 pound Les Paul doesn't feel as heavy as a 9 pound strat. LPs seem to have a better weight distribution

Latest Threads