Brand new Gibson USA Les Paul with not-new pick-up (!?!)

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
No. I opened this thread to understand if the conditions of the pickup are normal or not for a brand new Gibson USA Les Paul. Because it's the first time a buy a new one.
From several responses, it looks it is normal. Problem solved.
Like I already wrote, except the pickup, the guitar is perfect.
So, I still prefer Gibson USA over any Asian factory.

FWIW, you are seeing SLOPPY Gibson and if it does bother you, send it back. it is your money. Do what you want and don't ask if you should or should not because of a defect. {I hate when people do that.} If you took the time to post the issue, then it bothers you enough and will always bother you so send it back.

virtuoso

Reaction score
Sure it's pretty typical of a Gibson USA guitar, but just because it's normal doesn't mean that it's good.

It isn't something that affects the functionality of the instrument, and even after a while of playing it, the scratches are just going to blend in with the rest of the scratches you're likely to put on the pickups over the years. It wouldn't bother me to the point of going through the hassle of returning the guitar, but ultimately it still shouldn't be there.

I'm curious to know how many Japanese-made guitars you've played which lead you to that belief.

Which belief? I didn't say that they are not good (or even better). I prefer and wanted a Gibson USA Les Paul. ;)

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
:eek:
Do you have a thread of your guitars?

Yes......:naughty:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/fgn-guitars-fujigen.312363/

The_Magnificent_Seven_1.jpg

notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

Last edited:

virtuoso

Reaction score
FWIW, you are seeing SLOPPY Gibson and if it does bother you, send it back. it is your money. Do what you want and don't ask if you should or should not because of a defect. {I hate when people do that.} If you took the time to post the issue, then it bothers you enough and will always bother you so send it back.

You obviously didn't understand my post (the one that you actually quoted).
This thread helped me to understand that's normal (thanks to everyone who replied). So I don't bother about it anymore already.

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
Which belief? I didn't say that they are not good (or even better). I prefer and wanted a Gibson USA Les Paul. ;)
It amazes me how much purely the name of a product can sway so many buyers to purchase something, even if that product is worse quality than another brand.

Nonetheless, enjoy your guitar for what it is.

Something else too, expect that you're going to want to replace the tuners at some point. They might be working right now, but those G-Force things are infamous for being unreliable and the gears stripping out under normal use. And as it turns out, part of the problem is simply how cheaply made they are internally.

PierM

Reaction score
It amazes me how much purely the name of a product can sway so many buyers to purchase something, even if that product is worse quality than another brand.

Nonetheless, enjoy your guitar for what it is.

Something else too, expect that you're going to want to replace the tuners at some point. They might be working right now, but those G-Force things are infamous for being unreliable and the gears stripping out under normal use. And as it turns out, part of the problem is simply how cheaply made they are internally.

GForce It's a german company product, called Tronical, born from a Chris Adams concept. Has nothing to do with Gibson.

The company
automation.jpg

Tronical is the market leader as well as technological pioneer in the range of self-tuning systems for musical instruments. Our business culture is affected by consistant exceeding of limitations to achieve excellent solutions for our products. All necessary core competencies and devices are provided at one spot. That ensures a prompt and well coordinated product development.

Short Facts

• Founded 2005

• Research & Development Product Development

• Located in Hamburg, Germany

virtuoso

Reaction score
Please tell me which brand produces better Les Pauls (under 600€/$).

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
GForce It's a german company product, called Tronical, born from a Chris Adams concept. Has nothing to do with Gibson.
I already knew that. Doesn't change their shoddy build quality or the problems people have been having with them though.
Epiphone Tribute Plus?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

If it doesn't need to have the Les Paul name, then the Agile 3200's.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3200csb.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3200mccROOTbeerflame.html

Last edited:

bum

Reaction score

I don't think it even matters, you bought a Gibson because you wanted it. If you shopped around a got a great deal on a Tokai or whatever the itch to own a Gibson would still be there.
So, you bought the right guitar imo.
You've got a cream switch surround so ditch the black pickup surrounds and go cream there too, problem solved.
You'll damage your guitar one day - it happens to the best of us. I come from the school of not worrying about it (I am playing a gig later in the rain with my 335) but I appreciate that not everyone is like me.
It sounds like you had a question, you accepted the answers and are OK with things now, so my advice would be plug in, rock out and enjoy the Gibson you desired and got, congrats on your guitar it looks beautiful :)

Reactions: Who

PierM

Reaction score
Epiphone is the only other brand that can legally make Les Pauls®

At any equal price, Epiphone Les Pauls will probably be higher quality.

Example: a $600 (new) Epiphone will be better quality than a $600 Gibson.

I'm not saying they will be better guitars. I'm saying the quality will be better.

For that money he could probably get a guitar with less production blemish, but not really better. It's just better looking, in terms of instant eyecandy.

Fantasy woods. Veneer top. A tonnes of epoxy and plastics hiding everything (so that you don't even know what the hell is going on under the coat). All this stuff may looks pristine but doesn't mean it's better quality, same as dust hidden under a carpet doesn't mean a clean house.

And this is coming from a guy who loves his Epi, but no, it's not really better than any Gibson I do have, even those with blemish and QC issues (and that I really hate to spot on a new guitar, lol).

IMHO. :)

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that while Tronical is a German company, the tuners themselves are still made in China.

rpsrd7xs6koaezfre7vb.png

D-POLAND

Reaction score
well. those little blems could be cleared up with a little plastic polish and the screw head could be buffed or even replaced at minimal expense! you do realize even new cars can have appearance issues that get a bodyshop touch up now and then!

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads