Brand new Gibson USA Les Paul with not-new pick-up (!?!)

virtuoso

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.
I bought from an online shop a brand new Gibson Les Paul Tribute.
I received it yesterday and was surprised to see that the neck pickup is not brand new (you can see it clearly in the photo I posted here below).
The guitar came sealed directly from Gibson USA (has not been opened by the online shop).
Is it normal that Gibson mounts on their guitars non brand new pickups? Should I send the guitar back and ask for a replacement?

File 21.10.17, 10 06 29-500w.png

virtuoso

Reaction score
I pointed the scratches and signs of use-setting with green arrows:

File 21.10.17, 10 06 29-500w-ed.png

Ramhead

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely ask for a refund and written apology.. it's a totally reasonable thing to do.

PierM

Reaction score
I'm a big OCD with these things, but honestly this time I see nothing wrong.

It's just a couple of plastic scratches that you'll be just making worse in 2 hours of playing.

You could ask for a discount that cover the price for a new ring. :)

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Is it normal that Gibson mounts on their guitars non brand new pickups? Should I send the guitar back and ask for a replacement?

Times are tough at Gibson.....:naughty:

if you can't live with the 'mojo' send it back
don't expect to get a better one.....

....und Moin Moin in den hohen Norden
:welcome:

virtuoso

Reaction score
I'm a big OCD with these things, but honestly this time I see nothing wrong.

It's just a couple of plastic scratches that you'll be just making worse in 2 hours of playing.

You could ask for a discount that cover the price for a new ring. :)

The point is... if I pay for new stuff, I want to receive new stuff. Even if it's not an expensive model, I wouldn't expect from Gibson USA this lack of "quality-check".
Actually I would like to know if it's normal, if this happens normally. In that case makes no sense to ask for a replacement one (that maybe has more problems than the guitar I received).

Reactions: Who

virtuoso

Reaction score
Times are tough at Gibson.....:naughty:

if you can't live with the 'mojo' send it back
don't expect to get a better one.....

....und Moin Moin in den hohen Norden
:welcome:

Moin Moin :) So do you mean this happens normally (or at least on these "cheap" series)?

PierM

Reaction score
The point is... if I pay for new stuff, I want to receive new stuff. Even if it's not an expensive model, I wouldn't expect from Gibson USA this lack of "quality-check".
Actually I would like to know if it's normal, if this happens normally. In that case makes no sense to ask for a replacement one (that maybe has more problems than the guitar I received).

Again, if you want you could ask for a discount for the price of a new pickup ring, which is average 5$.
That pickup has nothing wrong, your are just looking things with a microscope. All those arrows, 90% of them are pointing at nothing.

Goodluck. :)

virtuoso

Reaction score
Again, if you want you could ask for a discount for the price of a new pickup ring, which is average 5$.
That pickup has nothing wrong, your are just looking things with a microscope. All those arrows, 90% of them are pointing at nothing.

Goodluck. :)

The pickup is not new. And again, I paid for a new guitar, with new pickups.
I will ask for a discount for the price of the pickup too.

PierM

Reaction score
There is lot of passages where you can produce those light scratches. Again, they shows nothing proving it's not new.

Gibson-USA-Pickup-Winders-Wax-Assembly.jpg

Gibson-USA-Final-Assmebly.jpg

Jackangus

Reaction score
The scratches are really marginal. I think that is fine. If it was me, I would just order a pickup ring if it bothered me that much, which costs next to nothing.
I thought I was anal.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
Dude, Really? Go look at a new car if your going to OCD that extremely.

virtuoso

Reaction score
I am very picky, I know. Anyway, I like the guitar very much, its "old" unfinished look is really beautiful and most important sounds very good (unplugged too).
I'm thinking about to change pickups with the Seymour Duncan APH-2 (Slash), but I'm reading several reviews and many prefer the Gibson 57's over them.
Already mounted new truss rod cover (black, without any writing on it) and ordered new knobs (vintage amber), amber switch cap and cover (cream):

gibson-prhk-030-top-hat-knobs-vintage-amber-4-pack_1_GIT0010273-000.jpg
gibson-prtk-030-_1_GIT0020550-000.jpg
goeldo-switch-washer-singlecut-style-kunststoff-creme_1_GIT0001321-008.jpg

virtuoso

Reaction score
I paid it 600€. I don't think I can find much better for this price.
I trust and prefer Gibson USA productions over any Asian factory.

PierM

Reaction score
Eh eh...those pickups are the same you find on a 4K custom too. Price does mean nothing in this case.
Point is if you want guitars sealed into plastic like the grampa couch, Gibson does not work, overall. ;)

Latest Threads