Boxes

kam4ff

Reaction score
Where do y’all get boxes for shipping guitars? I’ve got a Firebird V to ship, and it’s in a case, but looking for a box. Any suggestions?

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually have them, but when I don't I use UPS

mcgeorge

Reaction score
I agree... when you don't have them and cannot score a free one from a music retailer, UPS has great boxes and packing materials.

Or- do what I do. Buy another guitar, and when it arrives- use THAT box.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you don't have any luck at GC and need to buy from the UPS store or an equivalent, don't buy a single large box - buy a few smaller ones that you can telescope together. It's stronger and typically significantly cheaper.

rclausen

Reaction score
I agree... when you don't have them and cannot score a free one from a music retailer, UPS has great boxes and packing materials.

Or- do what I do. Buy another guitar, and when it arrives- use THAT box.

The latter option is my preferred method as well lol

Fracture

Reaction score
don't be cheap, buy 6 and keep them around

invest in a nice tape gun too

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...8LdUmDLQmslEgdsrceUaAtoBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

S-14224.jpg

judson

Reaction score
i kept every guitar box that was shipped to me in good quality and condition to use again when and or if i sell another guitar.

that shipping based on total inches is a pain but can be done while still providing good protection for the item.

i would go the double box route as it might cost a bit more shipping but you dont want to go cheap when you need a guitar to to arrive in one piece undamaged.....

Fracture

Reaction score
I use this size. Probably costs a little less to ship than the bigger one. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...5-lb-FOL-Side-Loading-Corrugated-Guitar-Boxes

makes sense, I forget which ones I have in addition to the 'inbound boxes' I have stored
but, if the box is slightly oversized, there's always room for
styro peanuts in the box before and after the case goes in
or
broken down chunks of styrofoam to completely immobilize
the case within the carton

it's important not to be an imbecile

mcgeorge

Reaction score
Use garbage bags to contain the packing peanuts... keeps them in place, and much cleaner to pack/unpack.
Sometimes you only have room for an extra sheet of cardboard between the box and the case... heavier but protected.
If it's a nice case- bagging it in a couple lawn/leaf bags taped closed is a nice touch.
Agree on the tape gun... Stuff the box tight and tape it like crazy.

You are packing in the event your instrument is handled by hateful imbeciles. A few pictures immediately before and also during your packing- and of the box as it's ready to go... you hope you don't need them to prove condition prior to pickup, but remember that huge stink with the broken Yaron guitar? I think of it every time I pack something.

Someone clued me in to cardboard box sizing tools! I've used them frequently to custom double-box amplifiers....
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=252355670300
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=371828893517

Even if you've got to make a box from scratch- you can.

Lkdog

Reaction score
You can go to the cardboard recycle bin at GC and take your pick usually after hours, or ask to go through during daytime hours.
Also as noted, FEDEX and UPS have good boxes for fair price.

And, yes, double line the cardboard.

Last edited:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Boxes. Just WOW. I have lots of guitars. There was a time when a guitar with case cost about $35 to ship. I have guitars sent to me in boxes that would fit a surf board. I had sellers whine about how much it cost them to ship a guitar. I have had sellers slap a stamp on just the case.

jay1williams

Reaction score
I usually get one at GC, but when they don't have any i've used the make your own box approach out of multiple ones - just be advised Fedex doesn't allow duct tape (learned the hard way)

ciscodudewan

Reaction score
You can buy the boxes off reverb as well. but check first at GC to see if you can get some freebee's

Latest Threads