Bow hunting anyone?

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn’t get to hunt last year, work, so I’m making up for it. Had a big bull at 50 the other day, talked to him for 2.5 hours at 50-100 yards. Got a doe and have up to 7 more whitetail tags. Archery lasts another three weeks. Freezer will be full.

if you are bow hunting what’s your rig? What amp are you using in your ground blind? What’s the best guitar for packing meat out on?
3F7397FA-B66B-41E4-93E0-7FEE14EF1CFA.jpeg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I haven't honed my archery skills to the point where I feel comfortable trying to take a deer. However, my .308 is the great equalizer. That said, I love being out in the woods in the Fall. So, I could happily spend all day in a tree stand or blind and not get a good shot at a deer.

One of my buddies is a great bow hunter and we've enjoyed lots of venison and turkey that he bagged with a bow. Where I live, if you sit in a tree stand, you'll have 10-20 does walk right up to you. The only time you'll ever see a big buck is around the rut. Those guys are very smart and timid.

sonar1

Reaction score
I just shoot hay bales.
Not very good eating but sheesh, you can walk right up to them!

Had a Mathews, and a Hoya.
My dad’s Kodiak recurve from the mid sixties is too fragile now, so I’m looking at full recurves.

KTM

Reaction score
I have not shot my bow, an older Alpine "Grand Sierra" compound, for a couple of years. My shoulder was giving me some issues but hopefully that is behind me. I hope to get it out this weekend for some target practice. If that doesn't go well I have my dad's old Tenpoint "Titan TL-4" crossbow I'll try out. I should have been practicing all summer, but I've been way too busy to get any shooting in. The deer archery season has been open for a couple of weeks in Wisconsin and runs through January.

KTM

Reaction score
I haven't honed my archery skills to the point where I feel comfortable trying to take a deer. However, my .308 is the great equalizer. That said, I love being out in the woods in the Fall. So, I could happily spend all day in a tree stand or blind and not get a good shot at a deer.

One of my buddies is a great bow hunter and we've enjoyed lots of venison and turkey that he bagged with a bow. Where I live, if you sit in a tree stand, you'll have 10-20 does walk right up to you. The only time you'll ever see a big buck is around the rut. Those guys are very smart and timid.
What rifle is your .308? I have my dad's old Winchester model 88 in .308.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I used to shoot bow a LOT. Decided to try my hand at bow hunting. 3rd day ever in the woods I took a 170 class buck. On a scale after field dressing he was 208 pounds. I also shot 5 spot league. 300 48x average. I could fairly consistently hit a dime at 20 yds. A motorcycle accident and bad eyes stopped all of that.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
What rifle is your .308? I have my dad's old Winchester model 88 in .308.
The one I referenced is a Remington 742 carbine (circa mid '80s). It is a hand me down from my dad. It isn't particularly fancy, but I love it.

Reactions: KTM

cjpeck

Reaction score
used to hunt with a stick bow. That ended with my last shoulder injury.
Never cared for training wheels.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
no, but i spent most of the morning up on the bow.
:)
hunting where i live sucks, unless you know something i don't know, or have a private piece of land to hunt.
i'd like to get a bow eventually, but it's WAAAAAY down the list.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Bow season opens in Ohio this coming weekend, and runs through the first week of February. Supposed to be low 80's this coming weekend, so it's not even on my radar until we get down into the 40's or so. Bought a new Hoyt compound last year, and have yet to get out and do some target shooting for the upcoming season. That'll change as the weather changes.

Be safe out there and best of luck.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice, I figured there had to be archers among us. Lots of accessories for sure.

I had a bear come in at 15 yards the other day. Of course he came in on my backside and we both saw each other at the same time. No shot. Still cool.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Nice, I figured there had to be archers among us. Lots of accessories for sure.

I had a bear come in at 15 yards the other day. Of course he came in on my backside and we both saw each other at the same time. No shot. Still cool.
Just curious about you guys that hunt in bear country. Are you allowed to carry (open or concealed) a sidearm during bow season for such unexpected encounters if the need arises?
I once had an angry Rottweiler charge me at full speed just after dark while coming out of the woods in full camo. I was carrying a compound bow at the time and had about 2 seconds to contemplate my options. My instinct to charge him angrily as he approached turned out to be the right call and thankfully, neither one of us got a scratch. Had I been carrying a pistol, I may have reluctantly had to drop him.
Not exactly sure what my actions would be if it were a bear.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s legal here and I carry a 44. Mostly for hunting bear from my tree stand. I have not harvested a bear in 20 some years. I’m not too scared of them. They are more scared of us. Mountain lions are more of a concern. Wandering around the forest and cow calling can bring cats in. I don’t keep my sidearm super accessible, it’s on my pack belt, tucked out of my way. If I had a cat issue I’d be screwed. There’s more grizzly bears around Yellowstone and that corner of Montana. If I hunted there, I’d have it more readily available.

KTM

Reaction score
It's legal in Wisconsin to carry a handgun while bow hunting, it just can't be concealed. I have never felt that I needed to carry one though. We have black bear around the areas that I hunt, West Central and Northwestern Wisconsin. I occasionally see them in my yard but I have never seen one while hunting. I had a coyote walk up to within about 3 feet of me once while I was on the ground in a brush blind wearing a ghillie suit. I heard it coming up behind me but didn't know what it was until it walked along side of me.

This photo was taken about 100 yards from my house. My wife dumped some apple peelings there.

Bear_01.jpg

Brek

Reaction score
Bow hunting is illegal in the UK, as are many hunting related activities, there is no public land we can hunt on, we are only able to hunt on private land with permission of landowner, its recommended to get it in writing also, but I don't bother with that. I have permission. A piece of paper proves nothing in law. So must of UK hunting for the common man is restricted to small game and vermin. Rabbits, wood pigeon, hare, that kind of thing. Would seriously love to go bow hunting. Forget any kind of handgun for any reason. You guys better appreciate your freedoms. (I am sure you all do).

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I used to own a 742 woodmaster in 30-06....wish I still had it.
What a great gun. Simple and efficient. I found a 20-round magazine that will work with the 742...then I had to find a cheaper source of ammo.

I have good optics on the gun and it is lethal up to a considerable distance.

All that said, I can enjoy a long day in the forest in November, never fire around and still have a great day. For me, it is magical being in God's great splendor, regardless of the harvest.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Bow hunting is illegal in the UK, as are many hunting related activities, there is no public land we can hunt on, we are only able to hunt on private land with permission of landowner, its recommended to get it in writing also, but I don't bother with that. I have permission. A piece of paper proves nothing in law. So must of UK hunting for the common man is restricted to small game and vermin. Rabbits, wood pigeon, hare, that kind of thing. Would seriously love to go bow hunting. Forget any kind of handgun for any reason. You guys better appreciate your freedoms. (I am sure you all do).
My folks live in Maine. My dad is the nicest, friendliest guy you could ever meet. He has permission (from the land owners) to hunt all of the best private lands across the state. For the past five decades, he'd go to town hall, see who owns the land, go knock on the door, introduce himself and ask for permission to hunt their lands. All most all of them said "Yes." Amazing what some manners and courtesy can do.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
It's legal in Wisconsin to carry a handgun while bow hunting, it just can't be concealed. I have never felt that I needed to carry one though. We have black bear around the areas that I hunt, West Central and Northwestern Wisconsin. I occasionally see them in my yard but I have never seen one while hunting. I had a coyote walk up to within about 3 feet of me once while I was on the ground in a brush blind wearing a ghillie suit. I heard it coming up behind me but didn't know what it was until it walked along side of me.

This photo was taken about 100 yards from my house. My wife dumped some apple peelings there.

View attachment 491237
The only reason I will ever shoot a bear is self defense or in the defense of other humans. I'd rather starve than eat bear.

Latest Threads