Bourns Pots arrived in the mail today

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
CTS 20% 250K solid shaft on Left, Bourns Standard 250K on the Right

The CTS come with heavier cases and frames, larger washers and full sized control nuts, the Bourns Standard series has lighter cases, stamped frame and smaller nut an washer.

CTS pots measured 243K & 263K and the Bourns Standard read 234K & 237K

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
The Bourns 95 & 82's seem to be the best Quality pots they make. They are built a little more rugged and have full sized control nuts, you can see the ground washer with the solder tab on it. CTS 250K on Left Bourns Vintage 82 on Right.

Not sure if you can make it out or not but the Bourns 95 & 82 models both have the parts numbers and MEXICO stamped on the side of them.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/110/l_d3eb9f624e3b48a3b632ed7caa6ddab2.jpg

Another pic of the ground washer on a model 82

jworle01

Reaction score
I like the looks of their traditional "high life" pots. However, the biggest downside to me is that bourns refuses to offer these in 1/4 standard sizing so you cannot use them with traditional knobs unless you use a spacer! Big bummer for me because the price to quality ratio is great.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I metered up several of the CTS & Bourns 250K pots I had on hand and this what they actually read on my bench meter...

CTS 250K 20%
243K & 263K

Bourns 95 Premium 250K 20%
239K & 240K

Bourns 82 Vintage 250K 10%
236K & 269K

Bourns Standard 250K
234K & 237K

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I like the looks of their traditional "high life" pots. However, the biggest downside to me is that bourns refuses to offer these in 1/4 standard sizing so you cannot use them with traditional knobs unless you use a spacer! Big bummer for me because the price to quality ratio is great.

Not sure what "high life" pots you are referring to but all the Bourns pots I have tested out so far, like the Standard, 95 & 82 models and they all work fine with a standard US sized dome knob made for 1/4" shafts. I tried the US knob on all these pots and it fit perfectly. :hmm:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Jonesy-
Tim if you have some "issues" about anything you got from me you can PM me here at MLPF or you have my email
No issues here, your products/services are definately A OK:D I just beat my stuff up

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Wiring up a traditional style CTS pot for volume

Wiring up a Bourns model 82 Vintage as a volume control

If this were being used in an LP circuit with 3 way toggle switch

Black is tab soldered back to ground
(ground to output jack and ground to switch frame)

Red is Hot from pu lead
(neg from pu would ground to back of pot or black wire)

Green is lead from 3 way toggle switch
(one lead would go to each volume pot

LawDaddy

Reaction score
Jonesy - big fan of the Bourns stuff here. I love the Vintage 82's, in my experience the taper is finer and I like the torque. I think overall, they have a nice clarity to their sound. The taper is real responsive and the sound is real clear as you adjust it. Hard to explain, but I consider it an improvement worth the extra $ in my main gigging LP.

I like to play in the middle position and mix the two pickups, and these are my faves for that. You do have to adjust how you solder the harness, but no real big deal. The only problem is they did not have a long shaft version until recently.

I also ordered a bunch of the low-torque pots and have installed them on a few guitars as well. I'm not sure I like the low-torque as much as I thought I would on a 4-knob LP, but I love it on a one vol/one tone setup on my EBMM Axis Super Sport.

I think it'd be a great addition to your line, I would be happy to buy more from you in the future!

-Tim

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Jonesy - big fan of the Bourns stuff here. I love the Vintage 82's, in my experience the taper is finer and I like the torque. I think overall, they have a nice clarity to their sound. The taper is real responsive and the sound is real clear as you adjust it. Hard to explain, but I consider it an improvement worth the extra $ in my main gigging LP.

I like to play in the middle position and mix the two pickups, and these are my faves for that. You do have to adjust how you solder the harness, but no real big deal. The only problem is they did not have a long shaft version until recently.

I also ordered a bunch of the low-torque pots and have installed them on a few guitars as well. I'm not sure I like the low-torque as much as I thought I would on a 4-knob LP, but I love it on a one vol/one tone setup on my EBMM Axis Super Sport.

I think it'd be a great addition to your line, I would be happy to buy more from you in the future!

-Tim
Nice to hear they are working out for you, and I appreciate you taking time to post your experience with the Bourns pots. :thumb:

I just got an email from one of the reps at Bourns and they are coming out with a new washer that has a longer tab on it. Looks like it will eliminate the need for a jumper wire and make it a little easier to ground the lug from the pot back to the washer. ;)

FF_Pedals

Reaction score

I just got an email from one of the reps at Bourns and they are coming out with a new washer that has a longer tab on it. Looks like it will eliminate the need for a jumper wire and make it a little easier to ground the lug from the pot back to the washer. ;)
That's good. You should let them know to ship them with 3 or 4 nuts instead of 2 as you require 1-2 nuts to hold the washer, then 2 nuts to install the pot on a carved top LP. Otherwise you have to run around looking for extra nuts. :laugh2:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
That's good. You should let them know to ship them with 3 or 4 nuts instead of 2 as you require 1-2 nuts to hold the washer, then 2 nuts to install the pot on a carved top LP. Otherwise you have to run around looking for extra nuts. :laugh2:
Yeah good point FF, the Bourns short pots only come with one nut. Fortunately I have dozens of extra control nuts here at my shop so that is not a problem for me ;)

Drudeboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Yeah I see what you mean, you have to run an extra jumper wire from one of the lugs on each pot to the washer, then another ground wire from the washer to the rest of the pots or what ever you are wiring it to.
Or you could make a plate that fits in the cavity, and use star point grounding to the plate....

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Or you could make a plate that fits in the cavity, and use star point grounding to the plate....

Yeah true, but either way you still have to ground the lug on the pot to the shaft with an extra wire, then that pot has to be grounded into the circuit. Still more work involved than the traditional wiring methods.

jworle01

Reaction score
Hi Jonesy, It appears the solid shaft are the right diameter but knurled shaft are only 6mm. Did they send you some of those? If you look at the link I sent, you will see that these are not the same as their standard pots as they are rated for up to 250,000 cycles instead of the 15,000. I have not been able to find them anywhere with anything other than the 6mm shaft size. Rather than the standard 1/4.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jonesy, It appears the solid shaft are the right diameter but knurled shaft are only 6mm. Did they send you some of those? If you look at the link I sent, you will see that these are not the same as their standard pots as they are rated for up to 250,000 cycles instead of the 15,000. I have not been able to find them anywhere with anything other than the 6mm shaft size. Rather than the standard 1/4.
I went by the parts numbers on the ones they sent me and several of the samples I have matched the parts numbers on the data sheet in that PDF? They do make metric and US sized shafts for many of their pots.

jworle01

Reaction score
I went by the parts numbers on the ones they sent me and several of the samples I have matched the parts numbers on the data sheet in that PDF? They do make metric and US sized shafts for many of their pots.
Could I be confusing something? I thought all U.S. sized pots had a quarter inch shaft. However, the diagram in the literature as well as everywhere I have seen these for sale only show the knurled shaft in 6mm. I believe this means U.S. size knobs will not fit. However, I would love to be wrong in this regard. I just want to clear this up for me and those interested in Bourns pots. The solid shaft version of these pots has the larger diameter shaft for some reason (maybe this is normal?) Thank you for reviewing these by the way, it is nice to have am "experienced" opinion :thumb:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Could I be confusing something? I thought all U.S. sized pots had a quarter inch shaft. However, the diagram in the literature as well as everywhere I have seen these for sale only show the knurled shaft in 6mm. I believe this means U.S. size knobs will not fit. However, I would love to be wrong in this regard. I just want to clear this up for me and those interested in Bourns pots. The solid shaft version of these pots has the larger diameter shaft for some reason (maybe this is normal?) Thank you for reviewing these by the way, it is nice to have am "experienced" opinion :thumb:

6 millimeters = 0.236220472 inches

The US sized solid shafts are .250" (.249" actual measurement), the split shafts with the splines are a bit smaller. Like I said the Bourns pots I have here take the US sized knobs just fine. (even the mini pots)

The split shafts on my CTS pots actually reads .232" when I measured them with my digital calipers. The Bourns spit shaft models you asked about measured .233" ;)

Bourns is a product that is new to me and I am studying all the things they offer and am still learning about all the different specs. Glad this is of some interest to you and I hope to have more information available soon.

Latest Threads