Bourns Pots arrived in the mail today

Mouse

Reaction score

Great information Mouse, I really appreciate your input. I was wondering myself how the Carbon vs Polymer (?) track/links would affect the Tone in a guitar. :hmm:
I cannot say for sure how it sounds in a guitar like I said I haven't tried. but in guitars and pedals we don't have huge voltage swings like in amps so there are big chances that you will hear no difference when compared to modern potentiometers of carbon type.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I cannot say for sure how it sounds in a guitar like I said I haven't tried. but in guitars and pedals we don't have huge voltage swings like in amps so there are big chances that you will hear no difference when compared to modern potentiometers of carbon type.

Yeah makes sense. I plan on wiring up some Test rigs with the Bourns 95 & 82's and install them in a couple of my own guitars and see if I can hear a difference in Tone. Also curious to see how their Audio Taper performs as well.

180gROC

Reaction score
I've compared the carbon trace to the polymer elements in guitars and found no immediate difference in the sound itself. The polymer elements seem easier for them to taper smoothly.

I use Bourns 500k push pulls in my LP now. They are of a much higher quality than the push pulls I replaced with them. The original push pulls were not Alpha or CTS, and performed poorly (scratchy and poor taper).

The sealed pots seems to make good sense for guitar. I like that you have three options on rotational tension.

I've also used them on pedal builds and consider them a great option, even compared to solid manufacturers like Alpha and CTS. Outside of these main three manufacturers (all good), I've found tolerances are lower and the taper in the carbon has less resolution (where the taper seems to have noticeable "steps").

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Nice to hear you have a had a good experience with the Bourns pots you have used. The push pulls they sent me seemed to be made very well. I think it's nice to be able to give people options as far as their wiring goes. I won't stop using CTS pots anytime soon but if someone would like the Bourns 95 or 82's in there wiring harness I would like to be able to give them that option and know that they will be reliable. Thanks for your input.

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
I used the 95s in my bulldog LP. They work great but are a nightmare to install. The little washer ring you have to solder to is really annoying. I'd say I would never use these again in a LP unless they were going into a PCB. It must have doubled the install time.

siore

Reaction score
I used the 95s in my bulldog LP. They work great but are a nightmare to install. The little washer ring you have to solder to is really annoying. I'd say I would never use these again in a LP unless they were going into a PCB. It must have doubled the install time.
Why?

Mookakian

Reaction score
I guess another plus is the risk of newbies burning pots is greatly reduced, but i wonder if the mechanical connection from ground washer to pot may oxidize with time an create a bad ground:hmm:

Im very keen to see what you think of the push pulls. Those alphas seem to get loose fast!?

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah I see what you mean, you have to run an extra jumper wire from one of the lugs on each pot to the washer, then another ground wire from the washer to the rest of the pots or what ever you are wiring it to.

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
^^^^ What Jonesy said. Normally you bend the 1st lug up to contact and solder to the back of the pot. This alone is really frustrating. With the 95 pots you have to run a ground wire to all of the tabs, then from all of the first lugs to the wire/washer connection.

Try it, it sucks.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I guess another plus is the risk of newbies burning pots is greatly reduced, but i wonder if the mechanical connection from ground washer to pot may oxidize with time an create a bad ground:hmm:

Im very keen to see what you think of the push pulls. Those alphas seem to get loose fast!?
Not sure how durable the plastic cases are, I suppose they can melt if you apply to much heat to the lugs. I plan on having a go at some later tonight or first thing in the morning. May build a wiring harness for one of my Tele's and see how that goes. :hmm:

I will take some pics and post them up as soon as I am done.

I have never really had any major problems with the Alpha push pulls, I have had 4 of them in "Alice" for a while now and they are all still working great.

siore

Reaction score
^^^^ What Jonesy said. Normally you bend the 1st lug up to contact and solder to the back of the pot. This alone is really frustrating. With the 95 pots you have to run a ground wire to all of the tabs, then from all of the first lugs to the wire/washer connection.

Try it, it sucks.
Ah, I see. So it's just that one lug to back of pot connection. I use a jumper anyway on most other pots, but I understand now how that would suck if you're used to bending the lug. Especially if you do a lot! :)

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Got to say I'm sceptical. I have used quality CTS pots from Jonesy and the RS Super pots. To be honest, both are just as good as each other.

I doubt I would personally notice any major improvement with the Burns.

Sort of like using vintage correct plastics etc :laugh2:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Yeah, i smack em around like mini bongo drums;)

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Been using them for years and I have dozens of my MSP & Jimmy Page rigs out there with those same Alpha pots and have not heard any complaints about them ;)

PINKBITS

Reaction score
We Aussies are a bit rough and ready Jonesy :D

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
Got to say I'm sceptical. I have used quality CTS pots from Jonesy and the RS Super pots. To be honest, both are just as good as each other.

I doubt I would personally notice any major improvement with the Burns.

Sort of like using vintage correct plastics etc :laugh2:
Whether they are just as good is up to you. They are different though if you measure the taper. For me, as long as they're over 500k I'm happy. I have two LPs that I play all the time, one has RS superpots, the other has the Bourns 95. The RS pots are stiff and the Bourns turn super fast. I'm really happy with both though, all pots measure in over 500k.

Mookakian

Reaction score
As for those other burnt pots, i was cranky and they were calling me names, so things got a little heated;)

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Tim you know if you have any issues about something you got from me you can always PM me here at MLPF or you have my email.

Latest Threads