Bought my first guitar... again

dezb1

Reaction score
Seeing as holidays are cancelled this year I've bought myself a new guitar project - one of these 'Satellite' Woolworths specials was the first guitar I ever owned, MIJ, plywood, bolt on neck. I remember it being an ok instrument, but I was far from an ok player. - it's took a bit of elbow grease but it's starting to look good, hoping I can give it a good setup and make it a decent playing guitar - if not at least it'll be a trip down memory lane.

Definetly won't be an investment piece. Had to fix a chip in the fretboard today where it looked like someone shot it with an air rifle... hopefully not a sign of frustrations to come

Troy McClure

Reaction score
Takes me back seeing one of those, my mate used to have one back in the 80's whereas I only had some crappy Futurama strat style guitar.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Looks like the old El'Degas I owned back in the day.

dezb1

Reaction score
Cheers chaps... wasn't sure what reaction one of these would get on here.

So I fixed the chip in the neck with some rosewood dust and a bit of super glue it's still just visible but can't be felt which is the most important thing. I shimmed the neck and now have a nice medium / low action, and have greased the tuners and tidied up the nut so no string pinging as the strings stick in the slots... shaping up to be a decent player have a few frets to sort out and I think that'll be job done. I've had great fun sorting all the problems that plagued my original guitar back in 1991 - if only I'd known then what I know now.

Brek

Reaction score
my first guitar also, was strung with some kinda razor wire, never did have sense to change it. in black, loved it, when Bryan said played it till my fingers bled, for real.

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Had a similar one.
Wine red... trans paint so you could see the plies in the body, but nobody cared.
Top was heat-formed to the arch, so there was a gap between the top and body between the pickups.
Bolt-on neck, no name on the headstock.
Parents got it for me from a pawn shop in '76 or '77 for $100.
It held me until I saved enough to buy my '78 Strat brand-new.

16-1.JPG
16-2.JPG

dezb1

Reaction score
Well finished the work on the guitar. Strung it up and had a good shot at annoying the neighbours last night, am rather pleased with it, it's looking good for a 40ish year old guitar.

dezb1

Reaction score
Not quite finished the work: I have found the fly in the ointment - I have one note that buzzes - if I play D at the 5th fret on the A string the 5 other notes on this fret are fine - am now looking into sorting this... hoping the next fret up has popped a bit and a light tap down will suffice.

Last edited:

Latest Threads