Bought les paul custom and is hissing like crazy

pakafaca

Reaction score
It is painful to my ears....it emmits very high pitch sound, especially the bridge pickup but when you play it is stops....also when I touch the guitar the hissing does not go away.....it is 2007 custom cherry burst.....so is this crappy quality?

Honestly I can't play it because of hissing, I own standard LP and fender strat...and even strat has less noise and it has single PUs.

Here is the video....notice the hight pitch hissing at 0.55 - 1.00 for example

I use marshall JVM 410.....there is something wrong with guitar...this high pitch sound is not normal at all...otherwise the guitar plays and sound great...

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats not hissing - thats microphonic feedback. Hissing sounds like you're saying 'Shhhhhh'
Not only do you have seemingly a lot of gain there, but the overall volume seems high too. Both will induce this to happen.

If the pickups have covers, this is a prime cause. Potting is one of the things that helps alleviate it, as well as removing the covers.

pakafaca

Reaction score
look I have a fender strat and this high pitch sound is normal...but with les paul custom it is unbearable...like my ears will pop from that high pitch....If I pot them...it will make the sound muddy?

so the reason why is this happening is covers?

Zylo

Reaction score
And now you have a good excuse to change the pickups too!

pakafaca

Reaction score
I will just sell it .....I cant believe that Gibson would make such bad pickups in 2007.....and it is a custom guitar for god sake.......if custom gibsons are made that way...something is really wrong with this company

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned it is feedback.
Reading between the lines I assume you did not have this guitar from new. A lot of things may have been done to it since 2007. Maybe the covers have been off and put back on without being clamped and soldered properly. Maybe the pickups have been replaced. Who knows?

hamerfan

Reaction score
No, you don’t have to sell the guitar as you don’t have to sell your car if it needs new brakes. That can happen over the time like pickups get microphonic. All in all i see you don‘t know enough of the technical aspect of guitar, go and look for a guitar tech like you would look for an car mechanic for your brakes.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're new here so you wont get any constructive assistance with your issue.
Can’t say that’s been my experience.

I was a long time lurker before I joined the forum earlier this year and it’s been great. Members have been nothing but helpful and respectful most of the time. And all the times I engaged in discussions, there were always solid points from the other side, so it’s usually an enriching experience. Goes without saying good manners go a long way.

And welcome to the forum :cheers:

Zylo

Reaction score
@Op

It is painful to my ears....it emmits very high pitch sound, especially the bridge pickup but when you play it is stops....also when I touch the guitar the hissing does not go away.....it is 2007 custom cherry burst.....so is this crappy quality?

Honestly I can't play it because of hissing, I own standard LP and fender strat...and even strat has less noise and it has single PUs.

Here is the video....notice the hight pitch hissing at 0.55 - 1.00 for example

I use marshall JVM 410.....there is something wrong with guitar...this high pitch sound is not normal at all...otherwise the guitar plays and sound great...
let us know how you get on.. will be good to know.

E.T.

Reaction score
+1 for microphonic feedback- option 1.) What ARandall said, could be a microphonic pickup in the Gibson (does it happen in all 3 pickup positions?), or option 2.) Gibson is fine, amp has a microphonic tube (loose electrodes, basically) and the Fender pickup just doesn't have the sensitivity/output to close the feedback loop.

Edit: Mechanism: high frequencies come out of the speaker, sound causes microphonic element (loose pickup coil and/or tube electrodes) to vibrate. Frequencies are now passing through the signal path, back out of the speaker and exciting the loose elements, that's your feedback loop.

Last edited:

huubstah

Reaction score
+1 for micro phonic feedback. Check if the pickup is loose enough to vibrate in the pickup ring. Other thing is maybe you get it wax potted. If you unsolder the cover. You should notice if it’s been waxed. Check if the pickup still screams.if feedback is gone than a loose cover is the problem. I put a drop of silicon kit on top of the pickup and solder the cover back on. A cheap way to reduce feedback.

2Muchgear

Reaction score
What happens when you play through any other amp? A DRRI for example? And there’s no guarantee those PUPs are original to the guitar (would have been BB 1&2?)

IGRocker

Reaction score
Most people like that kind of feedback and lots pay good money for a pair that do that :dunno:
Even if it is an issue with the pickups/wiring, it’s not something I’d sell the guitar over. If you think that’s bad, play a non-wax potted PAF style pickup with high gain and some volume. Talk about feeding back!

timbraun

Reaction score
Most people like that kind of feedback and lots pay good money for a pair that do that :dunno:
Even if it is an issue with the pickups/wiring, it’s not something I’d sell the guitar over. If you think that’s bad, play a non-wax potted PAF style pickup with high gain and some volume. Talk about feeding back!
That sound would be called 'squeal'. Much money was spent in the '70s to get pickups that wouldn't squeal at high volumes. It sounds to me like you have PAF-style pickups (perhaps un-potted) at high gain and high volume. Thus they squeal. It's not a question of guitar quality - it's a question of "what do you want the guitar to do?" Not everybody plays with such high gain / high volume and some people want the sound of PAF-style un-potted pickups.

Hiss is normally a wider bandwidth sound, like radio noise between stations - also a sound easier to hear in the days of analog radio tuners. 'sssss' is the sound of hiss. Shriek - a piercing note - is the sound of squeal.

Anyway, what does the guitar sound like with less gain and less volume? If I were you I'd probably swap the pickups and keep the originals for re-installation when / if desired.

Latest Threads