Bought a lemon burst 59 reissue vos brand new and it has red stain bleed , are they all like that

Robby

Reaction score
Around the body , there is not a crisp definitive line where the red meets the binding , the red has bled onto the binding. Is that how they all come thru from the custom shop ? Was that how they were in the 50s ? ..Thanks

Robby

Reaction score
Im not super tec savy, every time i try to post it says file to large....but it has stain bled on binding , is it normal or should the edge be crisp ?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is normalish, but without seeing a pic its difficult to offer more than that. The line is normally fairly crisp when new, once you start to play it the aniline dye starts to bleed into the binding, on my 60th anni R0 its really excessive,

On my murphy labs not happened at all. The R0 is a deep cherry red and has been applied to heavy i think, the Murphy lab '58 is light cherry, and the goldtops are unstained.

This is apparently how the original ones were, and what people who buy these new reissue guitars wanted.

edit: Been playing the R0 a bit recently and mine isn't fading at all, its really stained good. I mean, like damn they went all in with the dye.

Last edited:

bunnyman666

Reaction score
That was the charm and the headaches of how the old ones were. Of course that dye also is more UV reactive than modern dyes so you’ll have that aspect, as well.

Overture

Reaction score
It's normal. The dye on my R8 has even ran into my other guitars at this point. I have red staining on my white custom from sharing a stand and from my clothes.

mdubya

Reaction score
Pics or shens.

Binding bleed is part of using the vintage correct red stain, part of the Historic Reissue experience.

moreles

Reaction score
There is no normal, at least in terms of degree. IMO the newer LPs show more bleed probably because the materials now in use bleed more, but also because the red doesn't fade away in time anymore, so red that may have vanished through exposure in the older ones now lives forever in more recent builds. Personally, I think it looks really ugly (I'd redo any guitar I worked on that had such a lousy finish job)- because it screams "we don't care" while also being a really gross color. My guess is that Gibson feels it's more important to keep on keeping on doing things the same way than it is to improve a major deficiency. Exposure to sunlight doesn't bail them out anymore.

Latest Threads