Bought a custom shop 59 reissue , do you think the 3,700 bucks extra is worth it ?

Robby

Reaction score
I bougtht a lemon burst vos 59 reissue , and its nice . It was 6,700 from gibson garage, but im struggling to see how its worth 3,700 more than an off the rack les paul standard at 3k,,,,, ALL gibson les paul are nice, thats why im struggling to see the difference in custom shop .

Reaction score
My brother just came into a beautiful R7 in a trade and I’ve been fortunate enough to play it. While I think the pickups are a little better than the BB1 and BB2, the biggest difference is in the weight and balance. The fret board isn’t as dark as my Standard, but is a little smoother than some of the grain I can feel in mine.

Are the differences worth 2 or more times my Standard 50s gold top? To me, no. But it is probably better instrument, yeah.

Robby

Reaction score
Custom shop Historic reissue guitars are better than USA IMO — but if you can’t hear or feel any difference, don’t pay the premium.
Thats just it...its not like they are night and day.....they all seem good to me

Robby

Reaction score
My brother just came into a beautiful R7 in a trade and I’ve been fortunate enough to play it. While I think the pickups are a little better than the BB1 and BB2, the biggest difference is in the weight and balance. The fret board isn’t as dark as my Standard, but is a little smoother than some of the grain I can feel in mine.

Are the differences worth 2 or more times my Standard 50s gold top? To me, no. But it is probably better instrument, yeah.
you are spot on, thats how i feel ....my R9 is great , but so is a standard les paul.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The price difference is ridiculous, yes they had to retrain staff and adjust production for hide glue, and I guess the long neck tenon is a more time consuming task to fit. But beyond that it is priced straight outta the Harvard MBA playbook.

I love mine, after 18 months of daily practice, I feel like I am starting to understand and use the subtleties of tone the guitars can produce.

I also feel like I may also be able to start retrying the boutique pafs i have and see what they do different to the custom buckers.

But, I think on reflection, I would have been just as happy with standards. on a side note I have seen a few for sale recently in UK with tops every bit as good as R9 tops, only real difference is the neck tenon, and i believe some 2013 standards had a long neck tenon anyway. The other differences i.e pickups etc, can be swapped out, or left in as personal taste dictates.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I grabbed a 2014 R8 with a nice top for about $3000 used. That is so worth the money. It is in every way better than a Standard. In face, my lowly Tribute has the same playability and tone as my Standard.

That all said, I would never pay new prices for a Reissue. Gibson had several rounds of price increases. I believe my 2014 cost less than the $3000 out the door when it was new, as the original receipt was in the case.

budg

Reaction score
It’s either worth it to you or not. Everyone has different values , so you’ll get a variety of answers. I do have to ask though, you seem to prefer custom shop guitars . Why is this one different than say your Murphy Lab Gibson? That had to be in the ballpark. Maybe you just got the runt of the litter.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I got my 2019 R9 necked R8 for 3300.

And yes it’s better feeling and sounding than any standard I’ve held including the post 2019 models.

If you’re only 1-2000 off from getting a
historic, and if purchasing one has crossed your mind don’t bother with a standard.
Go all in, save up.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the extra CS money buys a Les Paul that is twice as good. There are killer USA model LPs that are, IMO, equally as good. HOWEVER, the extra money spent for your R9 went towards special materials and additional labor that do not go in USA models. Additionally, your R9 will hold re-sale value strongly (R9's and R0's, especially, as those are the holy grails), and may even increase in value over time. So, if you had the money, and went all in on the R9, then good for you. That was the right thing to do. Even though there are awesome USA models out there that may equal CS playability regardless of its pedigree, your R9 will ALWAYS be more valuable ... and (I am sure) it is a fantastic guitar.
:cheers:

Robby

Reaction score
It’s either worth it to you or not. Everyone has different values , so you’ll get a variety of answers. I do have to ask though, you seem to prefer custom shop guitars . Why is this one different than say your Murphy Lab Gibson? That had to be in the ballpark. Maybe you just got the runt of the litter.
[/QUO
i bought if because im a huge fan of peter green and the R9 i bought is a lemon burst that is much like greeny , i stuggle because im trying to quantify the up charge , diminishing returns is at play here lol

Robby

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the extra CS money buys a Les Paul that is twice as good. There are killer USA model LPs that are, IMO, equally as good. HOWEVER, the extra money spent for your R9 went towards special materials and additional labor that do not go in USA models. Additionally, your R9 will hold re-sale value strongly (R9's and R0's, especially, as those are the holy grails), and may even increase in value over time. So, if you had the money, and went all in on the R9, then good for you. That was the right thing to do. Even though there are awesome USA models out there that may equal CS playability regardless of its pedigree, your R9 will ALWAYS be more valuable ... and (I am sure) it is a fantastic guitar.
:cheers:
Thank you for your insight , all great points . I was drawn to my R9 because it was a lemon burst , that was highly reminisant of greeny , the problem i was having was to justify the more than double price over an off the rack LP , due to the fact that OTR are great guitars as well. But you did make great points , and life is short , drink the good wine .

palmerfralick

Reaction score
I bougtht a lemon burst vos 59 reissue , and its nice . It was 6,700 from gibson garage, but im struggling to see how its worth 3,700 more than an off the rack les paul standard at 3k,,,,, ALL gibson les paul are nice, thats why im struggling to see the difference in custom shop .

I think you've already answered your own question and I concur.

Phylodog

Reaction score
I can't claim to have the knowledge to explain why as far as guitars but you can find this with most anything manufactured. There comes a point of diminishing returns where improvements become smaller while the costs get larger. For most people there is a point where things are "good enough", but some people want or need the best money can buy.

Cameras, sports cars, firearms, you name it. They all have a point of diminishing returns where a lot more money is only going to get you a little bit more. My Collings is a perfect example. I own it because it was a gift, I don't have anywhere near the skills to justify owning such a nice guitar and to be honest if I were blindfolded probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a middle of the road Martin or lower end Taylor, but some people can and to them the difference is worth it. It's 100% personal and subjective.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, if you can't hear or feel the difference between them, then take it back and save the $3700. I sold my Gibson Custom quite a few months ago, because I could not feel or hear the difference enough to warrant me needing the Gibson Custom. I went back and forth between my new Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 58 Custom Black Beauty and the Gibson Custom, and I ended up selling my Gibson Custom putting $3k back in my pocket.

judson

Reaction score
i have said this before in many mlp posts..

bought my 2006 R8 at a dirt cheap price of $2000 maybe $2200 few years back, used on eBay, just to see what the hype was about...

i was pleasantly surprised as its a great guitar and worth every nickle

my guitars range from 50's to 90's of a variety gibsons, strats....so i cannot compare to more recent models but the R8 falls in around the halfway mark of all Gibson LPs i have

i only bought it as i knew i could unload it if it was a pig.......but i got lucky and to be honest i dont like the looks much but the quality is there, and the feel and sound work for me.

... it will be with me a long time! :dude:

EDIT: i have overpaid for a few but i didnt care I wanted them and they are keepers....

try to forget the cost and see how much you like it, if it doesnt do it for you, unload it

Last edited:

Latest Threads