BOTB reissues....

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should swap the cts pots and BB caps in my newer c/s SG, with the gibson pots and orange drops in my 2002 M/Machine les paul.. Problem is it would lead to a complete upgrade ie) I would then want to install more authentic looking p/up rings the correct shaped inlays etc etc.. where does it end.? :) .. plus the L/P may more valuable unmodified ? Also even though the SG has the 'same' BB pickups I love the way it sounds as it is... may have to buy one of those RS upgrade sets.. any advice ??

i would rather have the CTS pots & BBs. but if you want to improve the tone, disconnect the caps from the middle lug on the tone pots and connect to the lower lug; it will be wired more like a real 59 and you will get a noticeable tone improvement.

UKpaul

Reaction score
Thanks Barber, I was happy with the tone compared to the three U.S.A gibsons I had used previously, but when I got the SG with cts pots and bumblebees I was amazed that it had more of the 'vintage'.. (well whats in my head as authentic vintage tone) than the les paul. Both guitars have BB 1&2 picups, although the covers on the SG look slightly squarer, and just sound way better, the MM 25th anniversary guitars were a strange brew in that they had some odd specs if you go by other 2002 historics.. wax potted BBuckers/ correct truss rod rout thin toggle washer / thick jack plate ?? lol,.. all over the place really. but its a great player with a fantastic fast neck profile,.. Thanks For your input. :)

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barber, I was happy with the tone compared to the three U.S.A gibsons I had used previously, but when I got the SG with cts pots and bumblebees I was amazed that it had more of the 'vintage'.. (well whats in my head as authentic vintage tone) than the les paul. Both guitars have BB 1&2 picups, although the covers on the SG look slightly squarer, and just sound way better, the MM 25th anniversary guitars were a strange brew in that they had some odd specs if you go by other 2002 historics.. wax potted BBuckers/ correct truss rod rout thin toggle washer / thick jack plate ?? lol,.. all over the place really. but its a great player with a fantastic fast neck profile,.. Thanks For your input. :)

i would be curious to see a pic of the inside of the control cavity of the SG compared to that of the LP. maybe they are wired differently. i didn't think SG pots would fit into a LP? LPs have long stems to make it through the thick maple top.

UKpaul

Reaction score
Your spot on JimmyAce about the shafts :(
Is the RS kit Ive seen on the site better than the original gear the custom shop use ?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your spot on JimmyAce about the shafts :(
Is the RS kit Ive seen on the site better than the original gear the custom shop use ?

that is a personal preference thing. some people hate RS stuff, others love it. i am happy with my 03 pots & caps; just needed to change the cap connection to the tone pots; with original wiring, it was muddy. after changing it, the mud was gone.

UKpaul

Reaction score
I'll give that a try first then.. Thanks for the advice JimmyAce.

Walman

Reaction score
Does anyone on here by any chance have a Brockburst BOTB? Thanks.

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't own one, but here is some masterbatory fodder!

c605_3.jpg

Walman

Reaction score
I don't own one, but here is some masterbatory fodder!

Thanks LP, That looks seriously delightful! I knew you'd shed some light! Any take on whether the owner will sell? I have to say the Perryburst is my No. 1 choice from the book, but I have the say the Brockburst is just flash! Anyone here have one of these?

Latest Threads