BOSS Katana - Knob-only settings?

rifflearner

Reaction score
I have a BOSS Katana 50 and I'm still a relatively newbie guitar player.

I realize that to get the most out of this amp, I really need to dive into the software and figure out the modeling or download patches.

But what about for someone who doesn't have the time or the inclination to get into all that stuff?

What are some good-sounding "knob-only" settings to get some good tones from the Katana?

I've tried playing around with the clean and crunchy channels, starting all knobs at noon and playing aroud... But I just can't seem to get a clean tone I love or a crunch tone that doesn't sound tinny and shallow.

Save your suggestions for getting into the software -- only reply if you have some on-board control settings you like that will give me some good tones.

truckermde

Reaction score
Have you looked for demo vids on youtube, or even dealer sites, which might give some examples of knob settings?

I think they even have one at Sweetwater...

tigerflame

Reaction score
You should join the Reddit community, there's a lot of info about Katana there.

I had one but I sold it as it was not the amp for me. I opted for pedals for the sound I wanted.

rifflearner

Reaction score
You should join the Reddit community, there's a lot of info about Katana there.

I had one but I sold it as it was not the amp for me. I opted for pedals for the sound I wanted.
Ha! Funny you said this. I posted a similar query in the Katana sub, and despite asking for suggestions that didn't involve using the software - the only replies I really got were "try XX to get into the software more easily."

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I have the Waza Air, which is just a Katana in headphone form.

I use the crunch channel for nearly everything. Gain on about 25%. Volume up high. Eq is flat. I add a light delay in settings.

DrBGood

Reaction score
On a Katana, the EQ is subtractive, which means that when knobs are at noon, they are down 50%. You can't add treble mids or bass, all you can do is dial them down. Start with all three equalizer knobs at 10, then you start to get some meat on that tone.

Another trick from Boss is to keep the volume control cranked and adjust gain and master to taste. It simulates tubes being pushed.

Last edited:

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I just got one too. I do like gtarzan but dial back the treble a bit. It's bright.

Play with the relationship between gain and volume. Volume is your friend for not-thin crunch.

rifflearner

Reaction score
On a Katana,the EQ is subtractive, which means that when knobs are at noon, they are down 50%. You can't add treble mids or bass, all you can do is dial them down.
Wow! Thank you! Had no idea. Can't wait to play around with this.

tigerflame

Reaction score
Ha! Funny you said this. I posted a similar query in the Katana sub, and despite asking for suggestions that didn't involve using the software - the only replies I really got were "try XX to get into the software more easily."
Well, that's unfortunate. One guy I can recommend on YouTube is Paul Stafford Cook, he loves the amp and has a lot of great videos on it. He's also a Gibson guy, so there's also that.

rifflearner

Reaction score
Well, that's unfortunate. One guy I can recommend on YouTube is Paul Stafford Cook, he loves the amp and has a lot of great videos on it. He's also a Gibson guy, so there's also that.
Thanks for the tip. He had one video in particular that was awesome:

He has a great channel, actually. Surprised he doesn't have more followers. Good stuff, thanks.

Roman4405

Reaction score
I love when people ask a question and get actually useful answers not just a bunch of bullshit...unlike this post I guess. But still, makes me happy.

PS, my kid had a Katana 50 for a while with an MiM Strat and there are great tones in there, don’t give up on it.

Latest Threads