Boss Katana 50 || mkii vs mki?

GibPhone

Reaction score
Hey I’m sure people are already thinking, “Just buy a dang amp already!” And since I will now be making enough to afford one, I would like to know which one is truly better, and why? P.s If there is anything for the same price that is truly better let me know as well. Thanks.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Plenty of YT videos on M2 difference/advantage and no there's nothing better at the pricepoint.

The big consideration IMHO is price difference between the 50 and 100.

The 100 offers a line out and needs the optional footswitch if you want to tap between more than two channels.

Whether that's worth double the cost is dependent on the buyer's needs.

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Truly better for what? How do you plan to use it? Bedroom? Gigs? Metal? Blues?

GibPhone

Reaction score
To help out: I want it to play in my bed room, I will be playing on either a les Paul, a 335, or maybe a tele.

I want to play seventies and fifties rock/rock&roll. Some blues, and maybe jazz. Scales too.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Does the Katana always sound this crappy? You might be better off getting a small tube amp and a boost or distortion box for the 70’s stuff. Cleans on a tube amp have to sound better than the Katana. What is your budget?

GibPhone

Reaction score
My budget is basically exactly what it cost for a used mki, but if I end up wanting the mkii more I might be able to get it.

GibPhone

Reaction score
I think I’ll just get the mki and be happy for a while

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Download a free demo of Amplitube or THU or BIAS Amp or something like that to play in the meantime and save up a little more.

GibPhone

Reaction score
Is it really that much more worth it? in the video above I think the guy says that the mki can tilt it’s speaker upwards so that you can hear it better

5F6-A

Reaction score
I don't think the katanas sound bad at all. Especially if you consider the price. It's all self-contained in a practical, manageable little box of goodness. Yes, nothing magical but it does an awful lot of things pretty well.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did you listen to the video in that link?
That dude is the Debbie Downer of gear reviewer. If if doesn’t nail the Yngwie thing, he doesn’t like it, other frustrating setting issues as well. Nice guy, killer player, pretty funny....but eh...
There are endless killer demos to be found on YouTube on the Katana per every bad ONE. I have had the 100 MKii 1x12 for over a month now and it’s pretty remarkable for the money. Gonna see how it does with drums next week.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That dude is the Debbie Downer of gear reviewer. If if doesn’t nail the Yngwie thing, he doesn’t like it, other frustrating setting issues as well. Nice guy, killer player, pretty funny....but eh...
There are endless killer demos to be found on YouTube on the Katana per every bad ONE. I have had the 100 MKii 1x12 for over a month now and it’s pretty remarkable for the money. Gonna see how it does with drums next week.
Good luck with the amp. That guy in the review played way too many notes for me.

Latest Threads