Boss Katana 50(mk1) or Fender Champion 50XL or anything else, not using the onboard effects?

cheesy_chester

Reaction score
Hi, I am very new to the electric and was looking for an amp for my epi lp plustop pro, with what R&D i have done i have concluded to these two amps(as in my country they are same price) and fits in my budget. Though i know in terms of effects and features katana is far superior to fender. But I am planning to use multi-effects process (like zoom g1x-four or any other suggestions are welcomed) and use the clean channel of the amp, as per youtube demo's i found the clean channel sound quality of 50xl much better(maybe due to celestion speakers) but there are many mixed reviews of fender champion 50xl. Currently i am into playing blues, R&B and classic rock tone(not into metal), what thought process i am currently is that i will get tone/effects from my multi-effects only the amp sound quality must be good and should be able to takes pedal/effects well. I might be completely wrong with my approach and should i consider some other options(like using onboard effects provided by katana, wait for katana 2 in my country market or save more to buy something else). The reason for so much thought is because i cannot try these two in store(as its available online only) and I don't want to loose my learning interest because of I am not getting the tone/sound i want. Also, i don't gig or play in open, the amp will be used in my room only.

rifflearner

Reaction score
I have a Boss Katana 50.

There is definitely a reason they are so widely recommended. They just sound great. If you pick one up, you should definitely play around with it first because it basically has BOSS pedals built into it.

I haven't even had to download patches or play with the software - and that's where the amp can seriously shine. But for my needs, I can get everything I need from the amp itself (except looping) and I have my four favorite tones presaved on channels I can switch to right away with a foot pedal.

If you really just want a clean tone, there are a lot more dynamic offerings out there. But if you want an array of sounds that you normally need pedals for, the Katana is it.

cheesy_chester

Reaction score
I have a Boss Katana 50.

There is definitely a reason they are so widely recommended. They just sound great. If you pick one up, you should definitely play around with it first because it basically has BOSS pedals built into it.

I haven't even had to download patches or play with the software - and that's where the amp can seriously shine. But for my needs, I can get everything I need from the amp itself (except looping) and I have my four favorite tones presaved on channels I can switch to right away with a foot pedal.

If you really just want a clean tone, there are a lot more dynamic offerings out there. But if you want an array of sounds that you normally need pedals for, the Katana is it.
Thanks mate, my propective with going with multiprocessor is learning the sound/effects and method of playing an electric, i was an acoustic player and this is complete new ocean for me, eventually down the road i will start building my pedal board, but i wanted to emulate that in budget and start with something loke zoom multiprocessors. Going katana with foot switch also seems to be a nice option. Should i wait for the mk2 version? Does that worth the wait n money

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Katana

You mentioned wanting to explore effects.
With the Boss Tone Studio connected via cpu to the amp you'll have unlimited options to shape sounds. It's like having every pedal Boss ever made. Simple to use.

Katana has been the best selling most talked about amps in the last decade.

cheesy_chester

Reaction score
Welh katana100 doesn't fit my budget currently, so i think i will be missing on foot switch and fx loop i think. But again should i wait for mk2 or mk1 is enough