Boss DS1 - Waza Announced

rich85

Reaction score
Boss DS1 Waza. Demo below but I look forward to actually trying one.

If you dig heavy guitar tones but you don't like 'em choppy. There has to be some kind of organic amp feel. If you hit a cranked amp with a Boss DS-1 it'll sound like a million bucks but place it in front of a clean amp and it'll sound like a distortion pedal. Enter the Boss DS-1w. With the custom mode Boss drastically improved the pedal and changed the way the pedal...

497D43ED-37C9-4207-A887-0DC645D627E9.jpeg

v-man

Reaction score
This will really float some boats for some and piss in the cheerios of others.

My ownership/exposure of Waza pedals is this: the original circuit must absolutely be the ”cat’s ass” to the buyer, because the WAZA addition is never some pronounced game changer. This has been enough to abate my interests in the revered SD-1W or the versatile MT-2W given the expense (notwithstanding my use and enjoyment of the standard pedals).

My understanding of the DS-1 is that (for my uses) it is a disappointment out of the box, and no redemption could be had in the Waza mode, particularly for the money.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boss does have weird knob layout, but I like the DS-1, and may end up with one of these, someday.

Rob H.

Reaction score
I’m happy to see the Waza lineup grow. I don’t like the DS-1 enough to replace my 1996 model (which I still use as a lead boost on my overdrive) and I like my 2000s SD-1 enough to stick with it.

But for any future Boss purchases, I’m going with Waza if there is one. I recently got the BD-2W and CE-2W and love them both. The Blues Driver doesn’t seem to have the high-end fizz that the regular model can.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Supposedly higher quality components, better buffer, and all analog circuitry.

Then there are the selectable custom modes. On the Blues Driver it is similar to the Keeley mod (more low end). On the CE-2W it is a 3 way switch, adding the options of CE-1 chorus and CE-1 vibe. Both of which are very nice sounding.

jbash

Reaction score
On my B-Day wishlist. Love me some DS1.

v-man

Reaction score
At least a hundred bucks...
Never had a HM-2.

Got a Behringer Heavy Metal 3000, which (unlike many of their direct-circuit copies of old Boss units) is a close approximation of the HM-2. Bottom of the barrel parts in a plastic enclosure for $15 gave me all the substantial use needed compared to the $185 HM-2W I picked up shortly after once it released.

Point being, the circuit and function of that pedal (group) was not nuanced enough to make any appreciable difference for the “chainsaw” application. This may be more nuanced and important with other pedals/uses, but for other applications, the $15 is as good as the $185, notwithstanding the cheap construction.

Last edited:

shobotan

Reaction score
I would be mildly amused if it turned out Boss simply went back to using the original MIJ componentry. My DS1 is 40 years old and still going.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I was looking forward to this, and I knew it was only a matter of time before it would come out.
A lot of people seem to dislike the DS-1 saying it sounds thin...fizzy...and all that but in my opinion they just don't know how to use it.
Folks who expect to get all the distortion from the box totally miss the point; the DS-1 needs to encounter an already, even slightly, overdriven signal in order to perform its best, hence I set the amp (generally a Marshall) on Crunch (think 70's Rock) then push it over the edge with a box, and in case thebox is a DS-1 the results can be spectacular.
I'm lucky (admittedly, the harder I work the luckier I get) I am a professional guitarist and I can attest that the DS-1 is the one pedal that more than any other(!) has saved my day, way more than once, and I told Robert Keeley about it.
So far I've had an old "Made In Japan" one, a stock "Made in Taiwan", and a MIT with a "Keeley-type"(?) mod. Then I acquired an old, original "Keeley DS-1", the same one Satch & Vai use, and I couldn't be happier.
In all honesty they all sound pretty similar, with the Keeley being a just tad thicker and with way less floor noise, and I expect the Waza version to be exactly that.
Here below is a picture of one of my Les Paul's with the above mentioned Keeley DS-1, with the settings I generally use.
I will get the Waza, for sure.

IMG_1445.jpeg

funkateer73

Reaction score
My ownership/exposure of Waza pedals is this: the original circuit must absolutely be the ”cat’s ass” to the buyer
Q: Has the Boss DS-1 undergone some big reappraisal in recent years? I ask b/c it was my very first distortion pedal— I got one as a beginner, when I was a teen starting out in tne early 80s, playing it thru first a Peavy Classic and later a 50-watt Marshall JMP head w/ 4x12 Sunn cab. My tone was never great back then though in tne 80s and my perception at the time was was that it was somewhat of a starter pedal— by the 90s there were more and more options— I wound up finally going rack-Mount and using a Scholz Rockman ”Sustainor” unit for preamp and not even needing pedals for tone anymore, but even before then I always thought the MXR distortion+ pedal sounded better than my Boss…. at least for metal tones, which is mostly what I was going for back then (Sabbath, Maiden, and later, around 1985, Metallica). I gigged in the 90s but took a long hiatus from playing guitar with any regularity from ‘98 to about 4 years ago…so I missed the whole Klon hoopla and the advent of modeling (Line 6, Fractal etc), but now I do hear ppl online talking about old humble pedals that I’d have assumed were old news/nothing anyone would be interested in etc— like the DS-1. Or other Boss (or Ibanez etc) pedals for say, digital delay…. I don’t get that, when one could have a cleaner sounding rack delay for not much more than an old Boss digital delay pedal that isn’t going to sound as good (to me it’s almost like preferring the ‘built-in’ effects in an amp like a Mustang over an actual separate effect unit.
I dunno… I guess I always thought of Boss as “okay/serviceable” at best.
Mileage always varies though, of course…!

Last edited:

v-man

Reaction score
Q: Has the Boss DS-1 undergone some big reappraisal in recent years? I ask b/c it was my very first distortion pedal— I got one as a beginner, when I was a teen starting out in tne early 80s, playing it thru first a Peavy Classic and later a 50-watt Marshall JMP head w/ 4x12 Sunn cab. My tone was never great back then though in tne 80s and my perception at the time was was that it was somewhat of a starter pedal—
I dunno… I guess I always thought of Boss as “okay/serviceable” at best..
Hardly. People either hate it or defend it, but I wager rather comfortably that those defending it are obliged to admit there are are many other options that do as well or (much) better for the purpose.

Unless tone chasing Cobain, etc. (through similar gear) or fierce nostalgia intervenes, I see little reason to get excited for this pedal at all unless a Boss zealot/collector.

Even in Boss’ current offerings (full catalog or strictly Waza) I find it hard to believe one can‘t do similarly or better with something else… standalone or stacking partner.

moreles

Reaction score
I like what Boss has done with most Waza offerings. What I don't like is the major element of day-trader effect pedal investors who take what are moderately priced offerings and inflate them into supposed "investment grade" purchases. Yup, free country, people can do this, don't like it then don't play, etc., and I accept that. So I don't bother engaging with these releases. One of my favorite pedals ever is my old Keeley-modded SD-1, which has lived on my board for decades, even as other $$$$ pedals have come and gone, and another fave is an old Keeley-modded DS-1, which I use when I'll be playing mostly harder, more aggressive stuff. Now, those pedals are indeed epic value for money, and musical value regardless of price.

Rob H.

Reaction score
I would be mildly amused if it turned out Boss simply went back to using the original MIJ componentry. My DS1 is 40 years old and still going.
I think that’s the point of the Standard mode in these pedals. Boss probably sees the original MIJ ones selling for hundreds of dollars so they have introduced Waza as an alternative. Made (at least more) like they used to, and with a supposedly “better” buffer too.

Then the Custom modes are their attempt to cut into the “modded” market share or otherwise compete.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Never had a HM-2.

Got a Behringer Heavy Metal 3000, which (unlike many of their direct-circuit copies of old Boss units) is a close approximation of the HM-2. Bottom of the barrel parts in a plastic enclosure for $15 gave me all the substantial use needed compared to the $185 HM-2W I picked up shortly after once it released.

Point being, the circuit and function of that pedal (group) was not nuanced enough to make any appreciable difference for the “chainsaw” application. This may be more nuanced and important with other pedals/uses, but for other applications, the $15 is as good as the $185, notwithstanding the cheap construction.
I barely ever use compression so I have the Behringer clone of the Boss comp/sustainer on my board. I don’t stomp on my pedals so it’s been holding up and performing fine.

The Behringer VB-2 clone holds up very well against the astronomically priced originals.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Q: Has the Boss DS-1 undergone some big reappraisal in recent years? I ask b/c it was my very first distortion pedal— I got one as a beginner, when I was a teen starting out in tne early 80s, playing it thru first a Peavy Classic and later a 50-watt Marshall JMP head w/ 4x12 Sunn cab. My tone was never great back then though in tne 80s and my perception at the time was was that it was somewhat of a starter pedal— by the 90s there were more and more options— I wound up finally going rack-Mount and using a Scholz Rockman ”Sustainor” unit for preamp and not even needing pedals for tone anymore, but even before then I always thought the MXR distortion+ pedal sounded better than my Boss…. at least for metal tones, which is mostly what I was going for back then (Sabbath, Maiden, and later, around 1985, Metallica). I gigged in the 90s but took a long hiatus from playing guitar with any regularity from ‘98 to about 4 years ago…so I missed the whole Klon hoopla and the advent of modeling (Line 6, Fractal etc), but now I do hear ppl online talking about old humble pedals that I’d have assumed were old news/nothing anyone would be interested in etc— like the DS-1. Or other Boss (or Ibanez etc) pedals for say, digital delay…. I don’t get that, when one could have a cleaner sounding rack delay for not much more than an old Boss digital delay pedal that isn’t going to sound as good (to me it’s almost like preferring the ‘built-in’ effects in an amp like a Mustang over an actual separate effect unit.
The main complaint about recent Boss pedals is they went to the tiny SMD boards ~2018 and the pedals can’t be modded easily like in the past.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Then there are the selectable custom modes. On the Blues Driver it is similar to the Keeley mod (more low end). On the CE-2W it is a 3 way switch, adding the options of CE-1 chorus and CE-1 vibe. Both of which are very nice sounding.
The WAZA are all made in Japan, as opposed to Taiwan as well.

On the SD-1 they add a Custom mode via switch that provides more bottom end, and the Mid emphasis is lessened a little. Even on standard mode, I think it sounds better than a stock SD-1, the distortion /breakup is just more likable to my ears.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
https://blog.andertons.co.uk/industry/famous-guitarists-boss-pedals

Latest Threads