Borrowed a Friend's Guitar: First Time Playing With P90s Today (w/ Pics)

Niloy63

Reaction score
The Classic was the P-90 SG Special for the last 20 years and one of the great values in the Gibson lineup.

The new P-90 Specials are awesome and I am highly tempted by the Sparkling Burgundy version. If you dig the Pelham Blue, get one, it will be awesome.

There is a Classic in the mlp classifieds right now. I was going to link it but it is sold.

One thing about the Classic; it has what I would call a '64 Custom Shop neck. Just shy of a '59 neck, slightly flat on the back, ~ .88 - .98. Both of my Custom Shop Firebirds have the same neck shape. It is killer and they don't make USA spec necks in that shape outside of the Classic.

As far as I know the new Specials have a slim taper, and I am cool with that, too. But then again I have 3 of those '64 Custom Shop shaped necks, several big ol' 50's necks, some medium rounded necks, and a couple of slim tapers.

If I didn't have such variety at my disposal, I might be more uptight about getting an exact neck shape/size.

The Andertons video is pretty awesome.

Just saw that I missed this. Thank you for the breakdown. That clears up a whole line of questions that I had re: the differences between the two. :h5: I'm pretty fluid between neck sizes. While I haven't tried the '58 baseball bats yet, I'm comfortable with anything from a '59 Rounded profile on my Studio Swirl to the 60s Slim Taper on my Standard.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hell yes! That is the way to do it if you can.

The Classic was the P-90 SG Special for the last 20 years and one of the great values in the Gibson lineup.

The new P-90 Specials are awesome and I am highly tempted by the Sparkling Burgundy version. If you dig the Pelham Blue, get one, it will be awesome.

There is a Classic in the mlp classifieds right now. I was going to link it but it is sold.

One thing about the Classic; it has what I would call a '64 Custom Shop neck. Just shy of a '59 neck, slightly flat on the back, ~ .88 - .98. Both of my Custom Shop Firebirds have the same neck shape. It is killer and they don't make USA spec necks in that shape outside of the Classic.

As far as I know the new Specials have a slim taper, and I am cool with that, too. But then again I have 3 of those '64 Custom Shop shaped necks, several big ol' 50's necks, some medium rounded necks, and a couple of slim tapers.

If I didn't have such variety at my disposal, I might be more uptight about getting an exact neck shape/size.

The Andertons video is pretty awesome.

The first 2019 SG Special that my local L&M had was the Pelham Blue. I was tempted, but wanted something else, maybe the LP Classic Orange Sunrise. The PB SG was sold eventually, but I was OK with that, It's when they got a Sparkling Burgundy one in that I decided I needed an SG Special...

mdubya

Reaction score
The first 2019 SG Special that my local L&M had was the Pelham Blue. I was tempted, but wanted something else, maybe the LP Classic Orange Sunrise. The PB SG was sold eventually, but I was OK with that, It's when they got a Sparkling Burgundy one in that I decided I needed an SG Special...

:drool::drool::drool:

That thing is going to be off the charts as it ages. :dude:

Niloy63

Reaction score

1570642806144.gif

Yo... those Sparklin Burgandies are off the chain. Who knows... when the time comes, I might grab that over the Pelham Blue. I have a lot of redish guitars, though. WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE THEM ALLLLLL?!?!?! :facepalm:

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 412381

Yo... those Sparklin Burgandies are off the chain. Who knows... when the time comes, I might grab that over the Pelham Blue. I have a lot of redish guitars, though. WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE THEM ALLLLLL?!?!?! :facepalm:
I have one other reddish guitar, a Candy Apple Red Squier VM Jazzmaster. The SG has a nicer paint job.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I can still get a Red Rocker Studio for $1600 CAD, but it's 'buckers. Or a Billie Joe Armstrong LP Junior in Marachino Cherry for $1500, but it's also a 'bucker.

Niloy63

Reaction score
GAS can be ruthless, its true!

:laugh2: That is too damn funny!!! That looks just like one of the flow charts we'd have to look at in class for psychiatry in school while listening to the prof drone on and on about personality disorders. Real story. lol

DHart

Reaction score
IDK if this is correct, but don't the Gretsch Filtertrons have Ceramic magnets and really high output? Not that I have anything wrong with that. Love me some high gain 'buckers! But I remember when I first heard it, I was especially surprised. Didn't expect to hear those specs out of a Gretsch made product.
Today's Gretsch Filter'Trons employ AlNiCo magnets and are low-wind, low-output, very articulate, detailed, clean, and sparkly bright. More definition and sparkly clarity than you hear from the vast majority of PAF humbuckers. Sort of like a single coil, but noise free.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Today's Gretsch Filter'Trons employ AlNiCo magnets and are low-wind, low-output, very articulate, detailed, clean, and sparkly bright. More definition and sparkly clarity than you hear from the vast majority of PAF humbuckers. Sort of like a single coil, but noise free.
Very interesting. I've never played through a set of FilterTrons. Heard great things from people whose opinion I often relate to and trust. Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder if filtertron pickups fit into regular humbucker sized cavities. Thanks for the heads up!