Borrowed a Friend's Guitar: First Time Playing With P90s Today (w/ Pics)

Niloy63

Reaction score
It was a lot of hard work and disappointment, I can tell you!

I documented it in the Cupcake thread as it was happening.

Over the course of several weeks of looking and not finding anything the moment came and I pounced...

Got beat at the bell on Fleabay and lost a beautiful red Les Paul Gem series..

Next week I found a gold top Trad (Classic?).. one owner, was selling it pretty cheap.

Around 750..

By the time I cleared it with my wife on the phone, it was gone right out from under me! Strike two!

I spent the weekend sifting through Reverb and Ebay when finally on page 50 or something on Reverb I found that one!

LOL!!! I got this off an image search!! I'm famous, Amos! :laugh2:
Sounds like an exhaustive adventure you went on to get that Classic Player Plus. But it was well worth it, though. Right?!

2004 and 2006 SG Classics
Neck: Stock Gibson P-90
Bridge: Kinman P-90 Hx (zero-hum)

2017 '58 Reissue Les Paul Jr DC
Bridge: Fralin Hum-Cancelling P-90

I use the bridge pickup for hi gain without 60 cycle hum and the neck pickup for cleans.
Damn! Got an awesome set of P90s there my friend! It seems like the SG Classic are similar to the SG Specials. At least at first glance. I've been eyeing the SG Special Faded Pelham Blue for a minute.

I totally get that. I like P90s better than humbuckers, too!

I chased humbucker tone for entirely too long, then chased P90 tone, before discovering that I'm after Gretsch Filter'tron tone! Much more clarity, definition, articulate overtones, and sparkle.

I made it happen yesterday!

Aside from a pair of Gibson Classic '57s in one of my Teles (with a 1M Volume pot and No-Load tone pot - which really opens up humbucker PAF-style pickups) I'm done with 'buckers.
IDK if this is correct, but don't the Gretsch Filtertrons have Ceramic magnets and really high output? Not that I have anything wrong with that. Love me some high gain 'buckers! But I remember when I first heard it, I was especially surprised. Didn't expect to hear those specs out of a Gretsch made product.

Fair to say that I like a p90 guitar too.........
View attachment 412012
Definitely safe to say that! haha Nice collection you got there.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an exhaustive adventure you went on to get that Classic Player Plus. But it was well worth it, though. Right?!
It was a lot of work, and more than I wanted to spend at the end. I wasn't looking to buy another 1000 dollar guitar.

I set out to get a cheap studio or something like the one around 750...

But honestly, most of them weren't that appealing. Lots of somber browns and tobacco fades and stuff..

So when I saw that one in the ad it jumped off the page at me!

Original listing pic from Reverb....

Yeah, that scratched my need for a bit of bling! :laugh2:

Now that I have it set up and sounding sweet, I couldn't be happier.

Got compliments on it's sound last Sunday from some of the congregation! Always nice!:cool2:

Niloy63

Reaction score
It was a lot of work, and more than I wanted to spend at the end. I wasn't looking to buy another 1000 dollar guitar.

I set out to get a cheap studio or something like the one around 750...

But honestly, most of them weren't that appealing. Lots of somber browns and tobacco fades and stuff..

So when I saw that one in the ad it jumped off the page at me!

Original listing pic from Reverb....

Yeah, that scratched my need for a bit of bling! :laugh2:

Now that I have it set up and sounding sweet, I couldn't be happier.

Got compliments on it's sound last Sunday from some of the congregation! Always nice!:cool2:
I've found that the majority of things worthwhile in this world are in some shape or form... a pain in the ass. lol Whether it is acquiring it, maintaining it, or enhancing it.

That picture is killer. I love the subtle flames there. Classy and blingy at the same time. Both the stock black plastics and the cream colored theme you now have both work REALLY well with the guitar. If I had to choose between the two, it wouldn't be an easy decision.

Last edited:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found that the majority of things worthwhile in this world are in some shape or form... a pain in the ass. lol Whether it is acquiring it, maintaining it, or enhancing it.
:applause:+1:thumb:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
It is crazy that it's taken this long to play a P90s guitar. I've always dismissed them without a second thought.
I did the same thing. But then a friend was in a bind and wanted to sell his goldtop with p90s. He wanted it to go to a friend so he had a better chance of buying it back one day.

I bought it just to have a "backup", thinking I'd hate the p90s. It became my main guitar. I sold it back to said friend when I needed some money. I lost touch with that friend about 8 years ago, but I still dream about getting that guitar back. Thankfully, the new 50s standard goldtops with p90s look like an ideal replacement.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
That picture is killer. I love the subtle flames there. Classy and clingy at the same time. Both the stock black plastics and the creme colored theme you now have both work REALLY well with the guitar. If I had to choose between the two, it wouldn't be an easy decision.
Very true....

Niloy63

Reaction score
I did the same thing. But then a friend was in a bind and wanted to sell his goldtop with p90s. He wanted it to go to a friend so he had a better chance of buying it back one day.

I bought it just to have a "backup", thinking I'd hate the p90s. It became my main guitar. I sold it back to said friend when I needed some money. I lost touch with that friend about 8 years ago, but I still dream about getting that guitar back. Thankfully, the new 50s standard goldtops with p90s look like an ideal replacement.
Funny how things work out like that. At least you now have an avenue to explore to get something at least close to what you had... hopefully. It seems like P90s are not marketed very well. Or it could also be that I'm a thick in the head and stubborn about expanding my horizons. I prefer to blame the former. lol

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Funny how things work out like that. At least you now have an avenue to explore to get something at least close to what you had... hopefully. It seems like P90s are not marketed very well. Or it could also be that I'm a thick in the head and stubborn about expanding my horizons. I prefer to blame the former. lol

I think it comes down to the desirability of the bursts with pafs. It somehow creates the impression that the p90s are somehow lesser. I know I certainly thought the were inferior. Until I tried some. Personally, if I was in the market for a vintage LP, I'd be looking at goldtops or customs.

The good thing about the new 50s standard goldtops with p90s is that they're a production model, so are plentiful. There are so many guitar stores in Tokyo and Yokohama. My friend's coming over to visit early next year, so one day we're going to go to pretty much every dealer that has one in stock. Going to try them all and then decide over a beer or two before going back to buy the best one.

mdubya

Reaction score
He would have the Marshall cranked like hell with the gtr V on 1.5 to 2 for rhythm, higher for solos but not maxed... He could make it bite but still have the sweddy ballz on steroids....

Hell yes! That is the way to do it if you can.

Damn! Got an awesome set of P90s there my friend! It seems like the SG Classic are similar to the SG Specials. At least at first glance. I've been eyeing the SG Special Faded Pelham Blue for a minute.
The Classic was the P-90 SG Special for the last 20 years and one of the great values in the Gibson lineup.

The new P-90 Specials are awesome and I am highly tempted by the Sparkling Burgundy version. If you dig the Pelham Blue, get one, it will be awesome.

There is a Classic in the mlp classifieds right now. I was going to link it but it is sold.

One thing about the Classic; it has what I would call a '64 Custom Shop neck. Just shy of a '59 neck, slightly flat on the back, ~ .88 - .98. Both of my Custom Shop Firebirds have the same neck shape. It is killer and they don't make USA spec necks in that shape outside of the Classic.

As far as I know the new Specials have a slim taper, and I am cool with that, too. But then again I have 3 of those '64 Custom Shop shaped necks, several big ol' 50's necks, some medium rounded necks, and a couple of slim tapers.

If I didn't have such variety at my disposal, I might be more uptight about getting an exact neck shape/size.

The Andertons video is pretty awesome.

ARandall

Reaction score
@DarrellV
Was your guitar refinished with more clear??

Looks like there's a flat/low sheen pic and a more gloss + orange peel pic

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
@DarrellV
Was your guitar refinished with more clear??

Looks like there's a flat/low sheen pic and a more gloss + orange peel pic
You aren't seeing things.. it came as a satin finish with open pore wood.

You can really see it in the wood here..

No sir, that's just a good polishing with Virtuoso.

I outlined the process here, if you are curious..
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/my-les-pauls.430822/post-9245878

There is roughness and orange peel there (no pun intended).

The original satin finish included rough wood and open pores over the whole thing, including the neck. Part of the cost cutting to keep the price down, no doubt.

I was considering having it clear coated when I get up some money so I brought it to my luthier and he said there is enough finish on it to sand it smooth without spraying another clear coat.

I said great!

But for now, that's just a good polish job..