bored of my sound

M@nChild

Banned
Reaction score
AS the titles reads, got some nice pedals well what i thought were nice, but yeah im just so bored of my sound. i have a nice analog man chorus which i cant stand, for the life of me can not get a usable 80's distorted rock tone with it and my Drive pedals. i cant bond with my damn delay, have the way huge Echo puss, now this could be user error but again can not get any cool DELAY SOUNDS OR TONES LOCKED IN.

Currently this is my set up is a Friedman Wah, Barber Trifecta Fuzz, Ramble FX drive, JHS Soul Food Klon, Analog man Mini Chborus, Way Huge Echo Puss Delay, and a Ditto Looper.

Run all this through my Princeton. , Been considering a designated Reverb pedal to play with different sounds, or a differnt more functional delay pedal. Perhpas a Flanger or Phaser..

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Play clean for a bit when practicing... set your tone stack on amp to sound the best you can....then add ONLY one stomp to the chain and tweak for every possibility.....
You might discover some knobbery that makes you moist....
Rotate pedals singularly as in recliner with pedal in lap so it has your undivided attention....
Get to know each pedal completely....

Then start combining.... You might find some combinations that fight each other and introduce suckage into the chain....

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I think with a collection of pedals you can end up chasing your tail. Try going back to you best tone out of Princeton and guitar....just the two, your imagination, and fingers. As ehh wrote, get to know the parameters and tweaks that you like to hear between you delay and amp plus guitar. Move to a chorus and repea using no delay. It takes time, but that time spent is educational time and you vacantly make notes on pedal settings that appeal to you. The time for combining pedals comes later.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

M@nChild

Banned
Reaction score
what if i still want a new delay to play, any suggestions from the category listed above?

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I go through that every 5-6 years or so.

Not just with tone either...
Whole new rig.
Not just from one model to another either..its jump the brand ship and start over.

When I fist started and was Stupid...
1992-1996 Crate Stealth
1996-2005 Marshall ValveState 8200
2005-2014: B52 AT100 (l wish I'd Kept that amp)
2013-2014 Bugera 333XL
2014-2020 Marshall JVM 410 & 205
2020: MDG 501 Custom

I kinda do that with jobs/careers too...get bored and switch out..

freefrog

Reaction score
As dc007 said, a Princeton is not necessarily the best choice for 80's rock tones... Unless an EQ is added at the end of the FX chain.

But before to add anything: IF your list also translates the order of your FX's, I'd try the Soul Food BEFORE the Marvel drive and not after it....

FWIW. Good luck in your quest!

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Play clean for a bit when practicing... set your tone stack on amp to sound the best you can....then add ONLY one stomp to the chain and tweak for every possibility.....
You might discover some knobbery that makes you moist....
Rotate pedals singularly as in recliner with pedal in lap so it has your undivided attention....
Get to know each pedal completely....

Then start combining.... You might find some combinations that fight each other and introduce suckage into the chain....
This is pretty much what I was going to say.

Reactions: ehb

jb_abides

Reaction score
Could be the Princeton... My pedals sound 'OK' through my Deluxe Reverb.. Put them through my Marshall 18 watt... Heaven :)
Right, pedal signal overwhelming amp circuit. Need more headroom.

Latest Threads