Borderline Discrimination (rant)

lp_junkie

Reaction score
my company is lucky if I feel like following the dress code, so far I haven't bothered-

I've added several new tats that show, a nose ring, let my hair grow out, wear jeans and concert t's, sometimes I will wear a company shirt.

I figure if they don't like they can fire me.................

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i was asked on a job application for a shit job, whether i thought that "what i did on my own time away from work was the company's business." i said, damn right my own time is my own and the company don't own me, or have any say in how i conduct my life. i didn't get a call back. :shock::laugh2::laugh2:

denimcatfish

Reaction score
I think you were right for walking out. You handled that better than most people, IMO. :3

As for me... freelance artist and working from home. What dress code? xD

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
:lol: Well at least we know how Humply got into making movies... :naughty:

I too remember Hemps previous "career"!!! Brilliant and memorable thread!

But that aside, all that happened today was you ran into a 24 carat c**t! They are out there, believe me. Fortunately Hemps is big enough (in every department :naughty:) to deal with it.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I get that crap all the time.
I wear a nice full button summer shirt, that you dont tuck in.
Nice jeans, and nice leather shoes. Now, this is my company's
dress code.

Now, I go to Macy's and buy 3-4 new shirts.
Monday, boss man says my shirt is ugly. I tell him to piss-off!
At least I go pick mine out, his wife does all cloths shopping for him.
That shuts him up quickly.

I want my wife to shop for me...is that so wrong? If I buy the clothes myself, I end up picking out a lot of tan sh!t that looks like garanimals...she dresses me like a tasteful, semi hip, adult.:slash:

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
tuxedo%20t%20newest.jpg

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If looks were important, the clothes you wear, the what about Jesus?

Here's how it works for some people:

Nice suit = Smart = I made a good choice hiring you = I look good

No suit = mediocre guy = the place looks bad = I look bad if something goes wrong

I love being the "underdog", you'd never guess what I can do by the way I look! :D...

Hemply

Reaction score
Shop for clothes? Ppppffffftttt!

Which catalog do you want? I get em' all, the postman hates me! Then it's a matter of finding something that looks half-way decent and hoping when it arrives it doesn't turn out to be absolute CRAP! If you do get the goods then it's off to the tailor for another week for alterations!

The few free standing retail stores that cater strickly to the tall and larger man have crap for inventory and jack the price up even more so that makes it useless to shop there. Try walking into a shoe store and telling the clerk you're looking for a comfortable shoe in a size 14 EEEEE!:laugh2: If they have something that doesn't look like a "special shoe" I will usually buy them out on the spot!:laugh2:

The only time I venture into a Mall is when I'm getting something for someone else!

monroe

Reaction score
Lots of places still have a dress code. Interview in a suit and let them tell you to dress down. It may be true that what you wear has no effect on your abilities, but the cat that signs the paychecks ultimately gets to decide that.

Hemply

Reaction score
The whole "looks" thing has pissed me off for what seems forever.

Brings me back to one of my old professors who in front of the class would state how I would make about $30k a year less than my counterparts because I wear my hair long, that just made me work even harder.

How I choose to wear my hair is a personal preference and should have no baring on my clinical abilities. I don't always wear it down, that's stricky case by case scenario. When it's pulled back I think I clean up pretty good?

At it's longest...
hemp.jpg

same length just pulled back...
Me2.jpg

Most of the patients I work with tend to be treatment resistant. I can't tell you how many times one of the "treatment resistant" have said to me: "I feel like I can trust you because you're one of us... you understand what I'm going through". These are folks on the fringes of society who have never trusted the "establishment", and here I am their comfortable bridge to that very establishment!

I can't tell you the joy it brings to get someone from the fringes of society and bring them front and center with the tools to face anything the establishment can throw at them. To change their US against THEM viewpoints to just US.

Maybe I needed what happened today... maybe it was throw in my path by fate to keep me sharp and aware for those who can't be?

80's Rocker

Reaction score
Good move, I hate things like that. I never discriminate people based on their appearance. I personally wouldnt mind to change a little bit of how I dressed if the job was really good, but if they were just bashing on my clothes before they even saw what I did then I too would have immediately walked out too. What I wear though is not exacly that important to me, but I just could not ever cut my hair to work somewhere!!!

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The whole "looks" thing has pissed me off for what seems forever.

Brings me back to one of my old professors who in front of the class would state how I would make about $30k a year less than my counterparts because I wear my hair long, that just made me work even harder.

How I choose to wear my hair is a personal preference and should have no baring on my clinical abilities. I don't always wear it down, that's stricky case by case scenario. When it's pulled back I think I clean up pretty good?

At it's longest...
hemp.jpg

same length just pulled back...
Me2.jpg

Most of the patients I work with tend to be treatment resistant. I can't tell you how many times one of the "treatment resistant" have said to me: "I feel like I can trust you because you're one of us... you understand what I'm going through". These are folks on the fringes of society who have never trusted the "establishment", and here I am their comfortable bridge to that very establishment!

I can't tell you the joy it brings to get someone from the fringes of society and bring them front and center with the tools to face anything the establishment can throw at them. To change their US against THEM viewpoints to just US.

Maybe I needed what happened today... maybe it was throw in my path by fate to keep me sharp and aware for those who can't be?

the Universe always unfolds exactly as it should. maybe you are needed elsehwhere. maybe that place would be bad mojo for you. who knows. all i know is that the Unvierse, cannot go wrong. :)

DRF

Reaction score
I remember a comedian was talking about how if an "expert" with a English accent is telling you something-you think "this guy knows what he's talkin about",however if another "expert" with a Southern Hillbilly accent told yo the same thing-you'd be like WTF? yeah right!.

Its appearances of a sort and sometimes they do make a difference. For example:if you were going in for serious surgery,who would you want the doctor to sound like, Anthony Hopkins or Billy Bob Thornton?.

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I remember a comedian was talking about how if an "expert" with a English accent is telling you something-you think "this guy knows what he's talkin about",however if another "expert" with a Southern Hillbilly accent told yo the same thing-you'd be like WTF? yeah right!.

Its appearances of a sort and sometimes they do make a difference. For example:if you were going in for serious surgery,who would you want the doctor to sound like, Anthony Hopkins or Billy Bob Thornton?.

lol so true. i saw a doc today that had emmigrated from britain, or at least he talked like he had. at first i was like, hey this guy is cool. but when he started with his "philosophy" i was like "wait a minute" and then later when i realized what he had prescribed i guess i started to have a little faith again. it just goes to show that first impressions made from things like voice, body language, attitude, are not necessarily accurate. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

IndianScout

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hear ya on the initial response of the public or work enviorment,

take for instance,,

this summer, the wife and I stopped in the city to get a quick bite, so we stopped at McDonalds had a great lunch and proceeded to leave..

seeing a couple with 2 small children headed toward the door, I stepped out, letting the wife walk past and held the door for the family..

the husband / dad rushed ahead all of a sudden and tells me close to my face

"I got it you prairie n*gger ! ! ! and grabs at the door, I let it slam on him and walked awaly..

if it would of been the old days, I would of had his scalp.. but I shrugged it off and went on my way, not the first or the last name I'll ever be called..

btw props on your hair..

don't let the man tell ya how to wear it..

me.jpg

:lol:

spacebubby

The MLP Princess
Reaction score
Hemply....if you ever need an OR disposable bunny suit and N95 mask for laughs...just let me know. ;):laugh2: I can get you the hat and booties too just to make a real fashion statement. I tell ya...that getup is sexy as hell. :shock::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hemply

Reaction score
Hemply....if you ever need an OR disposable bunny suit and N95 mask for laughs...just let me know. ;):laugh2: I can get you the hat and booties too just to make a real fashion statement. I tell ya...that getup is sexy as hell. :shock::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Oh I thought of using "scrubs" a few times... what better to wear in a hospital and makes choosing what to wear a lot easier every day.... but the material makes my nipples chaff!:shock:

Latest Threads