Boost/OD pedal in loop

BadLuck&Luke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of pedals and could do with some advice.
I've got a Majik Box Doug Aldrich Rocket fuel pedal to use for solo boosts when gigging. It is 2 pedals in one, clean boost on the left, OD on the right with a switch to adjust the overall bass response.
I've been running it in front of the amp for a few gigs and hitting the OD for a solo boost. It sounds great, but the volume increase isn't enough, but hitting the boost switch in front of an already distorted amp doesn't do anything for volume.
I tried putting it in the effects loop at home yesterday. The boost is transformed, pretty much unlimited volume increase, just what I was after, as my solos have been getting buried below everyone else. I hit the OD switch and that sounds pretty good too. A little muddy, but with the tone cranked up and the bass frequency switch messed with it sounds good.
But now I'm reading that OD in the effects loop is a no-no and at full volumes it will sound very bad. Is this just gear snobbery, or the truth?
Am I stuck with a pedal where the OD sounds best in front of the amp, but the boost sounds best in the loop? :dunno:
I've got a feeling that me and the world of stompboxes don't mix

Hopefully what i'm asking makes sense,

thanks, Luke

coppertop

Reaction score
If that is a rule then rules are made to be broken and really why not just go with your ears, doesn't matter what other people do or think when it comes to how you get your sound.

dealmaker

Reaction score
Yup - OD pedals should always be in front of the amp.....as they effectively add more gain....

Boost pedals - fir pure volume lift - always work best in the loop - where they can give you a volume hike without impacting on your tone (much) .......

So that's the trouble with twin pedals ......you might be better off selling it and getting a separate OD pedal - and something like an MXR/Custom Audio Line Booster as your boot/solo pedal :

MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-401 Boost Pedal | Musician's Friend

BadLuck&Luke

Reaction score
If that is a rule then rules are made to be broken and really why not just go with your ears, doesn't matter what other people do or think when it comes to how you get your sound.

Ultimately I will decide myself, but I haven't had a chance to get the amp to full volume to test properly. Thought I'd get a discussion going in the meantime.

So that's the trouble with twin pedals ......you might be better off selling it and getting a separate OD pedal - and something like an MXR/Custom Audio Line Booster as your boot/solo pedal

*sigh* that's the solution I was afraid of, as I really like the sound of this pedal, but it probably isn't the right one for what I need.

Batman

Reaction score
Ultimately I will decide myself, but I haven't had a chance to get the amp to full volume to test properly. Thought I'd get a discussion going in the meantime.

*sigh* that's the solution I was afraid of, as I really like the sound of this pedal, but it probably isn't the right one for what I need.

I would just add an EQ pedal in the loop and run your current OD in front of the amp.

The advantage of an EQ pedal is you can tailor the curve of the EQ and the overall boost to your exact needs.

The boost on most dual pedals is there not to increase volume but rather to increase saturation/gain to give you a thicker sound.

Latest Threads