Boom Lifts, what do I need to know

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
Articulated or telescoping? And why?
It's time to put away the ladders for trimming trees. I am having far too many scary moments! I haven't called a sales place yet. I need to understand more before I call.

PeteK

Reaction score
I know you can't rent them without a contractors license. I've used scissor lifts a bunch. Pretty straight forward but they just go straight up and have to be on level ground.

Boom lifts are way more versatile, but amplify the bumps while moving so even if you are driving 2 mph to move it, keep a harness on because it can easily throw you out of the operator platform by hitting a bump.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Telescopic if you have a fairly straight shot at things. Articulated gets around and over foliage and lower roofs of side/back splits better to reach higher elevations.

Watch the size too. Some require a bigger trailer than most light trucks can pull.

Get one with a Deutz diesel. They can run for years without any problems. Gas ones run hot and break down more.

I use a 45 foot articulating 4 wheel drive. Make sure it has 4 wheel drive.

If you're just puttering around the house, maybe think of a bucket truck. You can fly like superman in those things and run it off a 1 ton truck. They are awesome, but limited reach unless you go for the big tree trimming jobs that require a CDL to operate.

Reactions: Who

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question was never how to trim the trees ... okay maybe a few ... but mostly it was what to do with all the brush afterwards. I would have a pile about the size of a small house. I'd wait for a day I could get a burn permit and burn it all. Damn, I don't miss any of that. Them damn trees ended up costing me $3K more before I closed due to an ice storm last year. Don't miss em a bit.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smaller knuckle boom may be worth looking at. I run a lot of them, both standard and knuckle. The 120’ers are fun. Anyone can get used to running them. Not rocket science although I have certs. to operate most job site equipment in my state, including cranes.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How to "lower the boom"? :band:

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
The main need is along the driveway. It's over 1/4 mile long and lined with BIG oak and hickory tree. Some of these branches that come down by themselves are 3-4 inches in diameter and would kill someone if they got hit by one.
Plus it's a cool machine to have. :)
southdrive.jpg

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be able to get away with a scissor lift if you are only on pavement. I have a genie 19-32. Handy machine. I paid 4000$ for it.

six-string

Reaction score
what?
you don't have a railroad engine to go from the road to your front door?
i has a disappoint.
:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Who

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 22-04-33 Overconfidence This is going to end in disaster, and you hav...png

If one of those tree limbs gets away from you, you're going to find out real quick just how tippy a scissor lift or cherry picker is.
Hire it out Minte,don't die on that hill.

judson

Reaction score
just found out a friend fell out of a tree and broke his foot ina few places...they put a bunch of screw in it and other crap so he is hobbleing around with a boot i think....also know someone that fell out of a tree and didnt make it, years back...

hire someone or buy the lift and strap yourself in !!!

the lift is useful for other stuff as well :yesway:

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
View attachment 558253

If one of those tree limbs gets away from you, you're going to find out real quick just how tippy a scissor lift or cherry picker is.
Hire it out Minte,don't die on that hill.
I am never over confident. I start small, take baby steps and practice, practice, practice. There is a cluster of dead red oaks on my property that are going to be taken down by professionals. These trees are 60' tall and tight together. Way outside of my skill set. When I get the lift I;ll work down the driveway and do all the easy nobrain cuts.

Latest Threads