Booked my seats Godzilla May 15th

Kashmir

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I'll see it when the crowds die down. And the hype.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ke1sKAMsg]Big Lizard In My Backyard - YouTube[/ame]

Shortscale

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people just want this one to be good for nostalgia sake (unlike the last POS Godzilla ripoff). The wife says we're going to see it this weekend.
Thanks for the review.

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
Just back home from seeing this movie. Where to begin ?
I will give away no spoilers so its safe to read on as this is not a full review.
Firstly, the 3D effect has come along way and was used cleverly to enhance rather than overawe you. There were a couple of 'arty' scenes showing off the camera mans skills and the amazing depth of field. I never felt the 3D to be gimmicky or too intrusive, unlike in some earlier 3D efforts. The sound system was immense with Godzilla's roar shaking the cinema and the music at times reminded me of the 1954 score without ripping it off.
The film takes some time to really get going, setting the scene and trying to flesh out the science and existence of the huge creatures. In fact kids will be a bit lost for the first 30 minutes or so, so be warned. This is a serious movie with no humour, totally unlike the 1998 Tristar offering. There are a few parallels between both films, but this is inevitable when describing giant monsters, or Kaiju as the Japanese name it.
The 1954 'Gojira' is payed homage to, explaining the origins of what you are to see and helps to create a reasonably plausible story line. This aint Shakespeare, so dont try to over intellectualize it ! The actors tried their best to get a foothold in the script, but once the 'Big guy' got stomping, they were never going to act him off the stage. Cranston did an impressive job with what he had to work with and i could have done with seeing more from him. Typical human folly, conspiracy theory and Army/Government meddling abound, though blame is not easy to place. I dont know if this is a bit close to the memories of the Twin towers or Fukushima for the US and Japanese audience, there is a lot of devastation.
The monsters are realized very well, Godzilla being given the gravity and poise you'd expect. The Muto's are unusual and not as easy on the eye, but the CGi was well used.
There are many holes you can pick in the storyline, but this is a huge piece of fiction to convey and make interesting, so some details will be skipped over or rounded off to keep things rolling.
Over all I really enjoyed it, Godzilla wins the day and we are all thankful for that.
There was not too much saccharine at the end, but the producer wants you to feel a warmth toward our anti-hero at the conclusion of the Film.
To sum up, go see it in 3D on a big screen. Dont expect an 'Independance day' style bravado and humour. I dont think young children (rated PG12) will be entertained early on, unless they are 'Zilla' mad.
I am biased to the 'King of the Monsters' from a young age and will see this again before the DVD comes out. I really liked this movie as did a friend who is not really into this genre, so without the help of distance, i'd score it 8 out of 10. Just maybe, we will see more of Gojira before too long, I for one certainly hope so.
I would venture more time was spent writing that post than was spent writing the script for the original version.

Tenafly Vipers

Reaction score
Really? ^^^^ Weird.

I saw it last night as well. It was great. A lot of fun. They hit all of the right notes. I only wish that Aaron or whatever from Kick Ass wasn't so wooden.

hecube

Reaction score
This statement is just sooooo wrong! You will pay the price. :shock:

We booked 10 seats for the 7:15 tomorrow night. :thumb:
Let me correct my statement.

It's just a lizard movie! :laugh2:

rich85

Reaction score
Seen it. Awesome movie. If you go in wanting to be entertained then you will be.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rolling stone review slammed it. Basically said it's a pos and gave it 1.5 stars.

rich85

Reaction score
I wouldnt expect anything else from that stupid magazine

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65rW_SIzg0]Blue Oyster Cult Godzilla - YouTube[/ame]

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rolling stone review slammed it. Basically said it's a pos and gave it 1.5 stars.
Godzilla fans don't care about puny critics.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY]Bambi Vs. Godzilla - YouTube[/ame]

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Saw it in iMax 3d this morning. Movie started very slow, but the fight sequences more than made up for it.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Saw it earlier today. In 3D. It was ****ing epic. I loved every second. And I have exquisite taste in film, so you guys can trust me

:laugh2:

Is it a good movie? I dunno. Maybe not. Lady Ponch hated it, and she has great taste too

Thing is, I've been a Godzilla fan ever since I uttered the words 'Godzilla', which I think mighta been back in 77 or 78. I grew up with this stuff, in other words. So it's quite possible I viewed it through monster-colored lenses:laugh2: You could definitely do much worse in regards to a summer blockbuster, that's fer sure

Serious bonus points for using one of my fave pieces of music during a particularly exhilarating scene. Ligeti's Requiem. Some of you guys mighta recognized it from 2001(my alltime fave movie)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgqI32JX_jY]2001 Gy Ligeti Requiem - YouTube[/ame]

tinman402

Reaction score
I was going to see it at a drive in tonight but it got moved back till tomorrow night.. IF is doesn't rain.. If rain is likely will catch it in 3d.. My and the sons have all been talking about this from months...