Bonamassa's Silverface Champ

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Glad to read so many on-point comments about Mr. B. I watched this video twice this past weekend just to listen in on his guitar mindset and philosophy of playing. Not saying that I'm a fan of his tone in this video, but that Les Paul seems particularly toneful, even when turned down. His explanations of the Clapton, Beck, Page, and Kossoff impressed upon me how good Joe's ear is when tuned in to other players. He knows that he's sort of a “polarizing” figure in the guitar world, but I think (aside from his toneful playing), it is sort of welcoming that he imparts his guitar knowledge and history to listeners in an entertaining and “matter of fact” manner.

Classicplayer

Not familiar enough with his works to be a huge fan but there's no question he knows gear and how to play it.

Refreshing to see a person that can do much with so little.

Last edited:

decoy205

Reaction score
That video plus a lot of what I’ve heard from owners has this amp on my gas list. Love the tone from these . Sadly the price of admission has also gone up considerably.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I love my '71 Champ. I've had it long enough that it was still cheap when I got it.

whatshisname

Reaction score
I'm going to have to pick up a new Vibrochamp Reverb. I was given a silverface Vibro in high-school, and stupidly traded it years ago. WTF was I thinking?

moreles

Reaction score
New imitation SF Champs are not SF Champs, so try before you buy. They're OK fun amps, but not the same as the hardwired, genuine articles. I have a bone stock late 70's SF Champ and it is aas good as the fans and hype-makers say. What is not often mentioned is the relationship between the speaker and the space within whihc the amp is played. In a normal size room, a good Champ speaker (I removed the stock one for a Weber Signature) works wonders with the moderate airspace and really sings in a way that a 12 incher cannot. It's a great combo of moderate power and dispersion that is idea for a normal room.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I have a near mint condition ‘74 Champ. It was in all original condition when I got it except for having a Weber speaker. I found an original Oxford on eBay with a torn cone. I had re-coned and it clearly sounded better than the Weber, so I sold the Weber. This Champ sounds better to me than my other modern Fender amps.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a near mint condition ‘74 Champ. It was in all original condition when I got it except for having a Weber speaker. I found an original Oxford on eBay with a torn cone. I had re-coned and it clearly sounded better than the Weber, so I sold the Weber. This Champ sounds better to me than my other modern Fender amps.

I'm guessing the Weber speaker was a Signature Series. They are horrible speakers! I was astonished to see Fender used them on the Tweed Champ reissue.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Weber speaker was a Signature Series. They are horrible speakers! I was astonished to see Fender used them on the Tweed Champ reissue.
I don’t recall. It probably was.

whatshisname

Reaction score
Order placed. It's been almost thirty years since I foolishly got rid of my original, or played through my ex-father-in-law's Champ, so I'm sure my memory won't be there to compare. But, the demos I've seen do sound damn good!

Latest Threads