Bonamassa's Silverface Champ

palmerfralick

Reaction score
As an owner of a 1978 Vibro Champ I was very interested in Joe B's tone in the Guitarist video interview they did backstage with Joe. I know he can be polarizing to many but the tone he was able to achieve using his Champ miced up in an adjacent bathroom with no effects except the reverb the bathroom generated is incredible. He goes thru his various imitations of Clapton, Beck, Kossoff, Green and others using just the amp and his Les Pauls's volume and tone controls. The amp does a more than credible Plexi, Bluesbreaker and Showman imitation. This is an old video and most of us have seen it but if you have a Vibro Champ or Silver or blackface version it might merit a closer look. Included is a link to the YouTube interview and a screen shot showing his amp settings. Volume on 10, treble about 8 and bass at about 4. Cheers

IMG_2093.JPG

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how we have so many pedals, pickups and amps that are “ insert name here_____sound”,
how did the original players get their tone?
I remember hearing about BB King playing his Telecaster at home and still sounding like BB King.

I second the fact Joe Bonamassa has a lot of detractors, jealous detractors!

pnuggett

Reaction score
Love my Silverface Champ. I don't use it enough though because of volume. Bought it new in 72 or 73? It's in excellent condition. Thought about selling it but that's as far as that went.

jwinger

Reaction score
I believe Clapton and Allman used a pair of Champs on the Layla album. I think this just about says it all.

Correct, I think with a different cab and a 12 inch JBL speaker from what I read

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I've got a '78 Vibro Champ that my dear late friend Larry Rodgers modified to run a single 6L6 tube and I love that amp. The baffle on the 78 is dadoed in, so I put in a 8 inch Eminence 820H and I love it. Those later SF Vibro Champs have a power transformer in it that is also in a Princeton, so it can run a single 6L6 fine. I think he just had to change a resistor or something to let it bias a 6L6 properly. It just made the tone a little bigger. Not really changing the amount of volume.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got a '78 Vibro Champ that my dear late friend Larry Rodgers modified to run a single 6L6 tube and I love that amp. The baffle on the 78 is dadoed in, so I put in a 8 inch Eminence 820H and I love it. Those later SF Vibro Champs have a power transformer in it that is also in a Princeton, so it can run a single 6L6 fine. I think he just had to change a resistor or something to let it bias a 6L6 properly. It just made the tone a little bigger. Not really changing the amount of volume.

That's been pretty much my experience. I've found moving a 6V6 amp up to 6L6 results in considerably more presence and a sharper edge when it breaks up. I don't care for it, but others do.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
That's been pretty much my experience. I've found moving a 6V6 amp up to 6L6 results in considerably more presence and a sharper edge when it breaks up. I don't care for it, but others do.

The Eminence in there now is a softer speaker, so it balances well. It just seems like it got some more hair on it than it did. With a Jensen reissue it was too edgy. Then I went to a Weber for a bit, and now the Eminence and it's staying put.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
I have a 1975 Vibro Champ, and it's my #1 practice and studio amp. It has the most vivid tremolo that I've ever heard on an amp. Takes pedals really well.

-Jay

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Funny how we have so many pedals, pickups and amps that are “ insert name here_____sound”,
how did the original players get their tone?
I remember hearing about BB King playing his Telecaster at home and still sounding like BB King.

I second the fact Joe Bonamassa has a lot of detractors, jealous detractors!

For any of those aforementioned naysayers and detractors of Bonamassa's skills as a performer, I say take a listen/watch to his hour and a half live set in a three piece, then come back and talk to us about how much better they are than Joe! Of course, havin' Anton Fig and Mike Rhodes behind you makes it even more easy and fun! :dude: The first song as they hit the stage pretty much tells it all!

His taste, style and choice of material aren't always my cup of tea, but he does it well!

Just Sayin'
Gene

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
This interview is one of the best "inside the head" of great players I've seen when it comes to tone.

The better my playing has become (still a hack :slash:) the more I've also been liberated from extra gear.

Chasing parts and pedals was more debilitating than beneficial. Now I read with amusement other's posts as they search for the magic that can't be bought.

Me..... I'm running a blue collar copy of JB's rig above. Epi Les Paul to a Fender Super Champ.

The rest is in the touch. :naughty:

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Silver Face Champ. It's a great sounding little amp. Played thru it this weekend. :beer:

Fillmore

Reaction score
I have a 1982 Super Champ, some have said...why are you using that old thing, followed by, I'll give $$$$$ and take it off your hands.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Glad to read so many on-point comments about Mr. B. I watched this video twice this past weekend just to listen in on his guitar mindset and philosophy of playing. Not saying that I'm a fan of his tone in this video, but that Les Paul seems particularly toneful, even when turned down. His explanations of the Clapton, Beck, Page, and Kossoff impressed upon me how good Joe's ear is when tuned in to other players. He knows that he's sort of a “polarizing” figure in the guitar world, but I think (aside from his toneful playing), it is sort of welcoming that he imparts his guitar knowledge and history to listeners in an entertaining and “matter of fact” manner.

Classicplayer

Latest Threads