Body replacement for MIM standard?

thatmanphil

Reaction score
Will my MIM neck fit on all 4 bolt fender bodies?
What about the bridge?
There are so many fender models out there that the only variable i see in the bodies is the number of screws in the bridge. Either 2 or 6.
I love my neck (custom treated) and pickguard (also custom) but the body itself needs to be replaced because my friends from another country all signed it and the names are starting tonwear off.

hbucker

Reaction score
I believe they are all interchangeable. In fact, last I heard the necks and bodies were all made in the same place and shipped to different factories. But this was a while ago.

Reaction score
I believe they are all interchangeable. In fact, last I heard the necks and bodies were all made in the same place and shipped to different factories. But this was a while ago.
That was a really long time ago, at the beginning of the Ensenada factory. Sometime in the '90s Fender invested in a full set of CNC machines for Ensenada and they've been cutting and shaping their own necks and bodies ever since. (The wood still comes from the US, because alder, maple, and ash don't grow in commercial quantities in Mexico.)

Necks and bodies are interchangeable. But even when swapping same model parts, you may need to trim the neck pocket or shim the neck.

Mexico uses two different types of 6-screw trems. Modern narrow string/screw spacing (2 1/8") on the MIM Std models, and vintage wide string/screw spacing (2 3/16") on Classics/Vinteras and older Deluxes (newer Deluxes have 2-point trems).
-------------------
In the early days of the Ensenada factory, the pickguard mounting screws weren't always in the same spaces as US. If yours is really old, you may have to drill new screw holes in the replacement body. (MIMs from this century use US-spec guards.)

thatmanphil

Reaction score
And this is why i love MLP.
I lucked out and found exactly what I was looking for on Reverb. I've been on and off searching for about a year and finally, FINALLY found what i needed

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Necks are going to be interchangeable for the most part, unless you're talking an elite/ultra with the contour heel... but even on those, the Fender replacement necks have 5 holes... 3 of the 4 match up, and the body still covers the "normal" 4th hole.

Your differences are going to be with the bridge width.
Generally, MiM uses 2-1/16 spacing for the outer bridge pivot screws, US Vintage uses 2-7/32 (sometimes referenced as 2-3/16)

Acme-Guitar-Works-General-Callaham-Strat-Bridge-Spacing.jpg

Latest Threads