Body dimension differences on a LP Standard vs. LP Custom?

Red Flametop

Reaction score
A friend and I are going back and forth on this....he's convinced he's right, I'm convinced he's spiking his coffee...LOL...a gentleman's bet is riding on this.

His claim is that there is a difference in the waist dimensions on the 1950's LPs.....specifically, that the LP Custom has a narrower waist and a slightly smaller end bout. The Mahogany top was added to compensate the weight difference....this info was given to him by a deceased local luthier, Wayne Kamp.

I say he's received bunk information....same dimensions, perhaps a deeper binding channel rout, but same damn body dimensions. Only real difference I see is that the Customs have a larger headstock than the Standard.

Let's keep the responses clean and respectful, OK?

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody measure??...i'd like to know too.....they do look different I think exactly why you said...binding and headstock.Why we need to know these things is irrelevent.......just need to know :)

KenG

Reaction score
There may very well be minor differences on body measurements on 50's Les pauls but it's most llikely not based on models and is more likely the result of all the hand shaping done. BOTB measurements show measureable differences across the same model number species.
BTW the maple cap on an LP was there first with the original GT (which in turn existed prior to the Custom), so that debunks the theory it was added on non-Custom LP because of the differences between the two.

Red Flametop

Reaction score
Now, I can see variations between each individual guitar...hell, that's gonna pop up with any guitar, moreso when handwork is involved.

My friend's assertion is that the Customs were different in the dimensions by DESIGN, i.e. smaller "waist", smaller lower bouts. As far as his assertion tha that the mahogany tops were added to offset the weight difference....correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the original 1950's-era Customs 1-piece bodies(i.e. 1 solid chunk of mahogany), merely carving the top of the mahogany body as opposed to the separate carved maple top on the GT's and later bursts?

Not trying to beat my friend down by any of this, hell of a nice guy and knows his way around a fretboard...but a frosty adult beverage is riding on this.:fingersx:

skynyrd67

Reaction score
Now, I can see variations between each individual guitar...hell, that's gonna pop up with any guitar, moreso when handwork is involved.

My friend's assertion is that the Customs were different in the dimensions by DESIGN, i.e. smaller "waist", smaller lower bouts. As far as his assertion tha that the mahogany tops were added to offset the weight difference....correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the original 1950's-era Customs 1-piece bodies(i.e. 1 solid chunk of mahogany), merely carving the top of the mahogany body as opposed to the separate carved maple top on the GT's and later bursts?

Not trying to beat my friend down by any of this, hell of a nice guy and knows his way around a fretboard...but a frosty adult beverage is riding on this.:fingersx:

If it is a solid 1 piece body how would they run the pick up and toggle wires? Next time we go see big mike the first round is on me,,hate to leave anybody thirsty,,lol

Red Flametop

Reaction score
1 very long drill bit...think I read the article on it in the Luthier's Corner section here at MLP.

Come on, folks, time for someone to weigh in here....the above is the good friend I have a "gentleman's wager" with. I see a free beverage in my future....

87Standard

Reaction score
I don't know about the '50s Customs but '70s Customs always seemed like a slightly different shape to me.

I like them more than newer Customs which seem the same as Standards now with regards to body-shape.

Lucius

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think the wider binding on the customs makes the upper bout and waist look like they're smaller but they are really the same.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
70s Customs are in general about 1-2 mm thinner in body width.

87Standard

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think the wider binding on the customs makes the upper bout and waist look like they're smaller but they are really the same.

That might be be a big part of it.

BTW I don't know whether or not '70s Customs are different dimensions than '70s Deluxes or Standards. I'm saying they seem different to me than later Customs so it's possible they're also different than other '70s models - I've never done a side-by-side...

Latest Threads